Moderate priced Dinner restaurant in Sydney?

djl45140

Can anyone comment on this place?

http://www.summitrestaurant.com.au/default.asp

How about the Salt restaurant?

Really do not want to pay Rockpools or Tetsuys (spelling) prices...any recommendations for a $60-$90 USD great dinner in Sydney?

We are staying at the 4 Seasons

What about eating at the Opera House...

Guillaume at Bennelong?

We get 1 dinner...where should we go?

The Summit has always had a very good reputation for food. I have been there and found the food excellent. The wonderful thing is that you get wonderful views over Sydney while you eat. Centerpoint Tower offers the same type of restaurant. For a cheaper option right at Circular Quay there is Rossinis, a very casual eatery. You could try Doyles in a similar location with wonderful seafood, looking at the Opera House. You have lots of choices, and I think The Summit would be just fine. Enjoy.

The Summit is good, and I have been there quite a few times over the years ... the first time when I asked my wife of now 30 years to marry me. The food is good and the views even better, but its prices reflect the views and the real estate prices in one of Sydney's premier office buildings.

There are many other places though on the harbour close to the 4 Seasons that are worth going to for your one night in Sydney. Restaurants like Guillaume at Bennelong and RockPool are very special (and priced accordingly) and there are a host of better value choices, still with views, all around Circular Quay and at King Street Wharf or Cockle Bay in Darling Harbour (on the western side of the CBD).

Have a look at www.bestrestaurants.com.au to get a feel for some of the restauirants around Sydney.

Cheers

Bob

Can anyone comment on this place?

http://www.summitrestaurant.com.au/default.asp

How about the Salt restaurant?

Really do not want to pay Rockpools or Tetsuys (spelling) prices...any recommendations for a $60-$90 USD great dinner in Sydney?

We are staying at the 4 Seasons

What about eating at the Opera House...

Guillaume at Bennelong?

We get 1 dinner...where should we go?

Salt is fabulous, though it's very noisy.

I like Est on George St, near your hotel.

Guillaume is very pricey. More expensive than Rockpools and not as good IMHO. (but fabulous views)

I like the Kiosk on Manley Beach. Nice casual beachy place.

I don't like Doyles very much.

For great "pub grub" (lunch?) go to the Lord Nelson Pub, up the hill from your hotel on Millers Point. (best grilled octopus I ever ate)

A newer place-with-a-view that I enjoyed recently was Altitude, at the top of the Shangri La hotel.

But much depends on what you want from your one dinner. After all, you could also do the pub-style grill-your-own-steak experience at Phillip's Foote. Not haute cuisine, by any standard, but grabbing a table in the garden area on a warm night and tucking into a good chunk of Aussie meat over a beer or two has its attractions.

The restaurants mentioned in this thread are very nice, but way way too overpriced for what you get and you are basically paying for the view. That's fine if you don't mind being ripped off. I live in Sydney and for value I don't think you can beat going to King Street Newtown (10 minutes in a cab from the City) grabbing a good bottle of wine at one of the local bottle shops and going to a good BYO restaurant. There are lots and lots of very good restaurants that are very good value for money. If you like Thai or Indian food you will love Newtown.

Just found this thread and thought I'd add my two cents worth! Trying to recommend the best place in Sydney is just about impossible. There are literally dozens of restaurants in the city and just out of town in all directions. If you are visiting Sydney maybe you don't really want ethnic food but perhaps seafood at the Waterfront Restaurant at the Quay or there are lots of places at King Street Wharf. These areas are relatively close to your accommodation. If you prefer Italian the Italian Village at the Quay is very nice or you could venture out to the Italian section at Norton Street Leichhardt. The restaurants you mention have a reputation and if it's fine dining you want then they come at a high price. Many other places just as good and won't break the bank. You would normally go to the Summit for the atmosphere and the view not really the food. The places I have mentioned have lots of activity happening around them and not just getting into a cab and then returning to your hotel. Good luck hope you have a great time.

We were just there in Sydney for six days and we found the most reasonable prices at Darling Harbour and in the mall as well. We were not looking for expensive dinners, we had that on the ship. They were good too. We ate breakfast and dinners there most days. The price for breakfast at our hotel, you could eat for two days at Darling Harbour.

How far is Darling Harbour from the Four Seasons Hotel?

We are booked at the Four Seasons through Princess for the 3 night Blue Mountain package. I'm not sure if breakfast is included, although the package does appear to be relatively expensive.

Ellis

If you were to walk from the Four Seasons to the restaurants in Darling Harbour (in a building called Cockle Bay Wharf, IIRC), it would probably take you about half an hour.

The big shopping mall place on the other (western) side of Darling Harbour doesn't have any decent food, IIRC. Food court stuff, OK for refueling if you're starving hungry in the middle of a shopping expedition, but really not worth the effort otherwise IMHO.

I would agree with the distance marker to Darling Harbour and probably wouldn't be worth the walk, but we would disagree with you. There is nothing bad about the food. Yes there is mall food, but there are some nice restaurants there as well. Food is expensive in Sydney or at least is seems that way in relation to their dollar and any other. We enjoy the food there and believe me we were not starving.

I would agree with the distance marker to Darling Harbour and probably wouldn't be worth the walk, but we would disagree with you about the food. There is nothing bad about the food. Yes there is mall food, but there are some nice restaurants there as well. Food is expensive in Sydney or at least is seems that way in relation to their dollar and any other. We enjoy the food there and believe me we were not starving.

Not quite sure if you want to go to Darling Harbour for breakfast or just to see it. If you want to get from Four Seasons to be a tourist at Darling Harbour go by water taxi. Don't walk. You will get to see a bit of the Harbour from a different perspective. If you are just thinking of breakfast places. Take a short walk down into the Rocks, along George Street. There are lots of little cafes that serve coffee, muffins, etc at not too expensive prices.

Archived