Why am I not excited

alisa726

I'm going on the Diamond Princess Alaska Cruise in the end of May (land & sea). I LOVE cruising but this trip I'm not excited about. We are going w/ my parents (could be one reason). I cruise with my grandparents on HAL and my parents were jealous so invited us w/ them. We have cruised princess they haven't. I love princess but my mom is a know it all and will study everything and be the BOSS once we board. Too bad for her I get all my past passenger perks. They just aren't cruisers- you know laid back, relaxed, getting done for dinner (we have fun with my grandparents and make every night formal night- guys in tuxes; girls in gowns; then everyone else stares at us. My parents think it is weird & roll eyes when we talk about it). But that isn't my only thing.

I've heard great things about Alaska Cruises but really the cold? What fun is the cold? I have no idea what to wear (yes I think that far in advance). If it will be cold, I need to buy stuff in winter season. I'm thinking yes since I was in Wyoming in June and it was cold. I'm just not a cold person.

Plus the land stuff. Is it glamorous? Or hiking outdoor like?

I think I'm making this out worse than it is. That will be my 3rd of 2007 so I have 2 others that I am looking forward to, can't wait, excited as ever.

Help me get excited, please.

I took my family (wife, 2 small kids, and in-laws) on this same cruise last July, and it was by far the best vacation of our lives. I would do it all again in a heartbeat, and so would everyone else in our group.

I can't speak to your personal family relationships, although I do understand how those dynamics can dull your enthusiasm. My personal feeling is that if you determine that you're not going to give them the power to spoil your fun, then you'll be just fine.

As for the ports and shore excursions, I wouldn't say they're glamorous, but there is a wide enough range of choices that you should be able to find something that you'll love. There is everything from bicycling/kayaking/fishing, etc. - active, outdoor activities - to guided airplane and helicopter tours to scenic/historical/cultural activities. And there are also excursions in several ports that include food and drink - an outdoor salmon bake or the like.

The weather when we went was cool and cloudy most days - highs in the fifties or low sixties. We had a little light rain in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway. But again, we prepared for those conditions, and we determined ahead of time that we would enjoy ourselves regardless of the weather. And we did.

The scenery you will see is like nothing else you have ever experienced (unless, of course, you've been to Alaska before). Nothing compares to sitting a few hundred yards from a thousand foot high glacier, listening to the thunderous sounds of the ice cracking and breaking off. Just be prepared, make up your mind to have fun, and you'll love it!!!

By the way, if you're considering spending some time inland in Alaska, I would recommend staying in Talkeetna for a few days. It's a three hour train ride from Anchorage - halfway between there and the entrance to Denali National Park. We spent three nights in the Talkeetna Alaska Lodge, which was awesome - a wonderful lodge with spectacular views of Mt. McKinley. Talkeetna offers a wide range of outdoor activities and flightseeing excursions. It's just a great place to kick back and relax for a few days, rather than riding all over the state for hours and hours.

Hope this helps - have a great vacation!

This is a joke, right?

No really. I know I sound like a spoiled princess and I am bafeled that I am not jumping for joy too. I was like this when we went to Italy for 16 days. It just wasn't my cup of tea and was DH's dream trip.

I can't seem to get myself excited when I think about it. I am on NCL & HAL websites all day & posting on their boards here. Excited about my other 2 cruises. I just think that I know what to expect there, most of the ports I have been. I know what to expect w/ princess too- service is great, I love the ships.

I think in my head a vacation is some warm tropical place.

Maxwell thank you for your post. I really didn't think about views. All I hear is whale this whale that. I've been to sea world (I know it isn't the same but again not my cup of tea). I will be spending one day before our tour starts to get over jet lag- I'll look into that. Thanks again.

Maybe this cruise is just not for you, that is why you cannot get excited?

I have spoken to many people who have cruised Alaska & I have never heard anything but fabulous stories about it. However because to me a holiday is somewhere, as you say warm & tropical, Alaska has never appealed to me.

I can appreciate from other peoples tales how wonderful it is, but I really have no desire to go.

Having said that if you have 2 other "warm" cruises booked, it might be nice to have the variation. As I have said everyone I have spoken to who has been has said how great it is. To be honest I have never heard anyone say that about any other destination across the board.

I know what you mean about travelling with parents also. I would love to take my Mum & Dad on a cruise, but to me cruising is kind of romantic & it just does not IMO add to the romance.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Maybe this cruise is just not for you, that is why you cannot get excited?

I have spoken to many people who have cruised Alaska & I have never heard anything but fabulous stories about it. However because to me a holiday is somewhere, as you say warm & tropical, Alaska has never appealed to me.

I can appreciate from other peoples tales how wonderful it is, but I really have no desire to go.

Having said that if you have 2 other "warm" cruises booked, it might be nice to have the variation. As I have said everyone I have spoken to who has been has said how great it is. To be honest I have never heard anyone say that about any other destination across the board.

I know what you mean about travelling with parents also. I would love to take my Mum & Dad on a cruise, but to me cruising is kind of romantic & it just does not IMO add to the romance.

Best wishes,

Lisa

It will be interesting, if when I get back to see how I liked it. I agree with you EVERYONE who has been raves about it. I have never heard a bad thing about an Alaskian Cruise.

I don't think the OP is spoiled because a particular vacation is not her cup of tea. She is choosing to be with her familiy and their choice of trip.

To the OP, take advantage of the ship itself! Use the spa and the gym, enjoy the restaurants. Take pilates and yoga class. Take a few good books and magazines you have been dying to read and sit by a window and enjoy scenery you would not see anywhere else.

If you don't want to go, you can stay with my kids and my DH and I will go. :D

I will be spending one day before our tour starts to get over jet lag- I'll look into that. Thanks again.

If you are only flying into Anchorage one day before your cruise, forget Talkeetna or anywhere north. Depending when you arrive into Anchorage (probably later in the afternoon), I would depart Anchorage the morning for Whittier, where your ship departs from, and do a 4 hour cruise in Prince William Sound before you board the Diamond. The small cruise will be different from what you experience on the big ship. You can drop your "checked" luggage off at the ship before the day cruise and you can leave your "carry on" luggage at the office of the day cruise company. You won't regret it.

You can head to the Alaska board for information on vendors for this cruise.

It is too bad you are only spending one night before your cruise. The highlight for me last summer was the time I spent before my southbound cruise in Alaska (Denali NP among others).

Alaska is beautiful in a different way from warm weather vacations.

Picture pods of whales and dolphins and seals that you can view right from your balcony. Think of sipping hot chocolate in the atrium pool hot tubs. Fly on a pontoon plane to the salmon hatchery and watch the brown bears catch salmon right before your very eyes.

The very size and depth of Alaska will humble you and take your breath away. I too am a "warm weather" cruiser. I have no regrets about my Alaska cruise. I hope to go again in the next couple of years as there is so much to see and do that a week isn't long enough.

Wait 'till the January sales and you'll be able to pick up all kinds of cute cold weather clothing for cheap, although when I went in September, the weather was in the 50's and sunny every day.

Alisa ~ Why don't you try to think of this as a destination vacation which just happens to have a cruise involved? A destination that has amazing, beautiful scenery and is probably somewhere everyone should experience at least once. I totally understand about not being fond of cold weather and how, in your mind, a cruise is about warm, tropical places. I'm that way myself, but I'm taking an Alaska cruise with my uncle and cousins next June. I wasn't really excited at first, but just knowing what a wonderful opportunity this will be to see sights I've never seen before has gotten my excitement level way up there!

I'll bet you (and I) will really enjoy our cruises to Alaska. And prefering warm weather and equating cruising with tropical locations doesn't make either of us high maintenance. :rolleyes:

Elf

I'm going on the Diamond Princess Alaska Cruise in the end of May (land & sea). I LOVE cruising but this trip I'm not excited about. We are going w/ my parents (could be one reason). I cruise with my grandparents on HAL and my parents were jealous so invited us w/ them. We have cruised princess they haven't. I love princess but my mom is a know it all and will study everything and be the BOSS once we board. Too bad for her I get all my past passenger perks. They just aren't cruisers- you know laid back, relaxed, getting done for dinner (we have fun with my grandparents and make every night formal night- guys in tuxes; girls in gowns; then everyone else stares at us. My parents think it is weird & roll eyes when we talk about it). But that isn't my only thing.

I've heard great things about Alaska Cruises but really the cold? What fun is the cold? I have no idea what to wear (yes I think that far in advance). If it will be cold, I need to buy stuff in winter season. I'm thinking yes since I was in Wyoming in June and it was cold. I'm just not a cold person.

Plus the land stuff. Is it glamorous? Or hiking outdoor like?

I think I'm making this out worse than it is. That will be my 3rd of 2007 so I have 2 others that I am looking forward to, can't wait, excited as ever.

Help me get excited, please.

I guess I am one that understands completely...We live in fl for a reason...we love warm weather. I have no desire to go to alaska. I love to swim and snorkel and get a tan while on vacation....my idea of a vacation isn't being cold - (for us in fl) that is anything under 70 - and some of us 80 :D

If you are only flying into Anchorage one day before your cruise, forget Talkeetna or anywhere north. Depending when you arrive into Anchorage (probably later in the afternoon), I would depart Anchorage the morning for Whittier, where your ship departs from, and do a 4 hour cruise in Prince William Sound before you board the Diamond. The small cruise will be different from what you experience on the big ship. You can drop your "checked" luggage off at the ship before the day cruise and you can leave your "carry on" luggage at the office of the day cruise company. You won't regret it.

You can head to the Alaska board for information on vendors for this cruise.

It is too bad you are only spending one night before your cruise. The highlight for me last summer was the time I spent before my southbound cruise in Alaska (Denali NP among others).

I'm going into Fairbanks at 12am and spending over 24 hours then start the land tour. Denali National Park, Mt McKinley, Anchorage, Whittier. Then the ship- College Fjord, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, inside passage, Vancouver. It sounds like we will be seeing a lot.

I was thinking of paking for 2 trips- one bag for land and one for sea. So then I wouldn't have so much luggage, could leave one bag w/ the cruise company. Didn't know if that was how people did it.

Hi Alisa, u are not acting like a spoiled princess. I have been on 10 cruises and have not been to Alaska yet. My husband realy wants to go but i hate being cold. U spend a lot of money for vacation and most people only get a couple weeks a year off for vacation. So i totly understand where u a comin from. I don't think i would be excited either. Have a good time anyway make the best of your vacation and try not to spend too much time with your mother..:) :) :)

minimom

A therapist would say that much of your ambivalence for this trip centers around the fact that you are going with your parents (your mother in particular). Keep in mind that they wil be gone soon enough and that this will be a story to tell. Plus, it is a place that you would NEVER go on your own !

Alaska is a great vacation- you will have no trouble finding thinds that suit your interest to do. My family all felt the same away about the cold and they just loved it. We did the Mediteranean the summer before and this was not getting them too excited

It is more a matter of figuring out in advance to find a way to reduce the family tension.

In fairness, flaunting your perks to your parents is not a winning start.

The only part of the equation that you can control is your own point of view.

A therapist would say that much of your ambivalence for this trip centers around the fact that you are going with your parents (your mother in particular). Keep in mind that they wil be gone soon enough and that this will be a story to tell. Plus, it is a place that you would NEVER go on your own !

Alaska is a great vacation- you will have no trouble finding thinds that suit your interest to do. My family all felt the same away about the cold and they just loved it. We did the Mediteranean the summer before and this was not getting them too excited

It is more a matter of figuring out in advance to find a way to reduce the family tension.

In fairness, flaunting your perks to your parents is not a winning start.

The only part of the equation that you can control is your own point of view.

I know what you mean. She has been driving me crazy lately. She is going through the big change and I never expected it to be so bad. I know it is worse for her than me and should cut her some slack. I am 27 and have been on about 4 times more cruises than them, it just isn't their thing. I think they also compromised having the vacation be a cruise since that is what I perfer. It is something I have in common with my grandparents that maybe she sees us all having fun together. I can't remember the last time I traveled with my parents- Disney trip and we everything was maped out hour by hour- speed walking, knocking people down, just to stay on schedule. But for them to go on a cruise (they say it makes them sick), I do have to give it to them, they are trying.

Let me assure you- I wasn't thrilled about going to Alaska either. It is just not my cup of tea. The only thing that saved me was spending 3 beautiful days in Seattle before the trip- I had never been to that city and that was the best part of the trip.

I agree- when you go on vacation- you don't want the cold, the rain, etc. That is why I loved Seattle and Europe (med) and the Caribbean- nice weather and blue skys for sailing.

Go and see the USA and just think most people never get to Alaska. We went in August and most of the snow was off the mountains- you at least might have better photos.

Jan

We did a B2B on the Diamond this past September and were expecting cold weather - we had wonderful weather, a little rain early in the morning, we used the hot tubs on the ship with the snow capped mountains in the distance - it was stunning.

The day after leaving Vancouver There were hundreds of dolphins swimming next to the ship, it was an amazing sight.

We did bear watching, drove to the Yukon, did the glacier cruise from Whittier, went to the wildlife preserve on the way to Anchorage etc etc.

We booked the Sanctuary at the spa for the second week which was great and very relaxing.

Have a wonderful time, read on the port of call threads and that is sure to get you excited.

Have fun and enjoy.

I guess I am one that understands completely...We live in fl for a reason...we love warm weather. I have no desire to go to alaska. I love to swim and snorkel and get a tan while on vacation....my idea of a vacation isn't being cold - (for us in fl) that is anything under 70 - and some of us 80 :D

I second that!!! (This, as I am bundled with a sweatshirt, jeans, electric blanket and it's only 54 here in Gainesville, FL(while my boyfriend in New York laughs at me because it's 34 and dropping) I love sun and sand...I love tanning...I love walking around in a bathingsuit and being hot. It's so hard for me to imagine a cruise to Alaska! BRRRR

Alisa....I don't know why you're not excited but that's neither here nor there.Like some previous replies the place is simply spectacular ! My wife and I did a 13 nite land/sea tour and I don't know where the hell the time went. I say, don't worry about the weather, once you become involved with AK you don't notice it. The main rule of thumb while there IS TO DRESS IN LAYERS and you'll have no problem. Keep in mind you are NOT going to the Caribbean for lounging in the sun, like the Mediterranean, you're going to explore and sight-see.

Bring binoculars, anything else you might need you can buy on ship or in the ports you stop at. Also plenty of film.

Take in as many of the excursions as you can, you may not be back and you'll kick yourself.Take in a daring one also if you can. For instance, we hired a pilot/guide in Juneau, he flew us in his float plane to a near-by island called Admiralty Is.

The Island is inhabited by only bald eagles, deer, salmon streams and grizzlies.We saw all of them except the salmon were not alive......they were freshly half eaten along the streams edge.

Drift for an hour on your balcony...watching the glaciers calfing...the sound is as loud as cannon fire when the ice cracks.

Go up to your top deck around midnite or so and look for the Aurora Borialus(sp?) 8th wonder of the world.

Go for a walk around 2130 or 2200, IN THE DAYLIGHT !

You'll get excited...believe me.

Have a great "cruise/tour" e CIAO.

I know what you mean. She has been driving me crazy lately. She is going through the big change and I never expected it to be so bad. I know it is worse for her than me and should cut her some slack. I am 27 and have been on about 4 times more cruises than them, it just isn't their thing. I think they also compromised having the vacation be a cruise since that is what I perfer. It is something I have in common with my grandparents that maybe she sees us all having fun together. I can't remember the last time I traveled with my parents- Disney trip and we everything was maped out hour by hour- speed walking, knocking people down, just to stay on schedule. But for them to go on a cruise (they say it makes them sick), I do have to give it to them, they are trying.

If you know that cruising is not their thing and that they are compromising for you, why don't you change your trip? You've certainly got time to cancel without losing anything. How 'bout a trip to Hawaii? Price wouldn't be that different. Then you can get your sun and sand, they won't be doing something that makes them sick, and they can tour while you go to the pool/beach. Meet for dinner and enjoy each other's company in the evening.

It would seem to me that you might be able to find a compromise that would work better make both you and your parents less miserable.

If you do keep Alaska/cruise as your vacation, set the expectations up front. You could do the same thing once onboard - let them tour during the day and enjoy their stories in the evening. You can spend the day at the solarium pool. Plenty warm and just like any other cruise experience. Have you thought about asking your grandparents along? You parents might enjoy the opportunity to have a 3 generation vacation. And, you'll have memories that you'll treasure greatly in the future.

It's funny to read your comments. I'm going to Alaska with my parents next summer and I can't wait. Just shows that difference is what makes this world interesting.

Lyssa, I am going through the big change myself. Someday you will too and you will understand ! (and remember this funny conversation).

The most fun thing of all is a helicopter glacier landing. What makes this trip special are the excursions. Unlike the Caribbean where we hardly get off the boat some cruises, in Alaska to have fun plan something for each port.

We were lucky and the weather was lovely. So fun is sitting in the hot tub with a cold drink watching the glaciers. Get a bathrobe from your steward to get to and fro.

I think you are getting in the spirit.

Alisa,

I think I know how you feel. I've only been on 2 cruises (the third, as you can see is coming up soon). First let me congratulate you on going with your family because they wanted to come along.

When my DW and I first got married, we went on a cruise for our honeymoon (we had the cruise booked before we even had the wedding, but that's a longer story). Let me just say I wasn't sure about the cruise thing at all.

I couldn't imagine what I'd do. I couldn't imagine being trapped on a boat for a week, bored out of my skull. Let me say I was wrong, and I look forward to every cruise we take (I'm hoping we can start going every year).

I know that's not your main concern (just wanted to set up some credentials ;) ) I can't give you advice about your mom (except to say plan some time for yourself, find something just you'll do or let mom know you want her to explore for herself, and you want to hear all about it at dinner).

My only other suggestion, is to bring a camera. Pretend you're the paid photographer, you might get a kick out of that.

I know you don't need people preaching to you. I hope everything works out okay, and I hope you have a good time. Just wanted to share some things, as I think I can empathize with you if not completely understand where you're coming from.

Good luck, and have fun :)

We did our Alaska cruise/land tour last May. If you're doing the Princess land tour, you will have to pack for two trips, as they will allow only one piece of luggage per person. The rest of your luggage will meet you on the ship.

We had beautiful spring weather and spent most of our outdoor time in shirt-sleeves. A couple of times, I put on a sweatshirt. Because it was so early in the season, we didn't see a lot of animals--no bears, no salmon swimming upstream, not even a moose (lots of other people saw moose, tho). We did see lots of killer whales, humpback whales and bald eagles! I found the eagles fascinating. The folks in Ketchikan think of them the way we think of pigeons--nuisance birds. I found them beautiful. The scenery is just breathtaking--unlike anything I'd seen. Go to the goldrush museum in Skagway. These people had an amazingly hard trip.

The only time I was really cold was on the top deck while we were cruising College Fjiord and Glacier Bay. Other than that, it was a short-sleeve t-shirt on our balcony. We had a tiny bit of rain in Juneau and a little heavier rain in Ketchikan--not enough to ruin our day. I wore a water-resistant jacket with a zip-out fleece liner, and DH wore an LL Bean rain slicker.

We were exhausted after the landtour, because it consisted of very early mornings. The first two days cruising the glaciers was so relaxing--and we had time to do our laundry!

Make sure you and DH schedule some alone time--I'm sure your folks don't want to spend every waking moment with you, either! :D And going through the change is hard--I was a nut case, and I know my 3 daughters (who are a little younger than you) didn't want to spend much time with me!

Enjoy the beautiful scenery and the wonderful people.

Archived