Caribbean Bottom 5 List

jamessa

Jamaica. Yuck! We've been twice. First time went to Dunn's River Falls. That was BEAUTIFUL!! But then got harrassed by the locals on the way out. Second time went shopping downtown with my husband. Never again!:eek: It is a stop on this cruise we are leaving on Friday. Personally, I don't care if we just stay on the ship.

My favorite places two favorite places are Cozumel and Grand Cayman. There are so many things to do in both places, and both have awesome scuba diving.:)

Ok, here's my bottom 5........1 being the worst.

5. Barbados

4. Grand Cayman

3. Nassau

2. Ocho Rios

1. Montego Bay

And Barbados is our favorite island. Interesting how we all view things isn't it?

Our 4 least favorites:

1-Nassau; the people on the island seem to prefer we stay away except for wanting our money.

2-Monego Bay: just plain scary to us

3-Ocho Rios: at least the have the falls to attract people

4-Belize: not much positive to say about the port period.

5-Dominican Republic: very poor, very pushy people and there isn't all that much to see or do.

NMnita

Our most disliked ports, if we return will not leave the ship:

Domincan Republic - ship was held up - crew had riffles out when we left the port. There was no tug, we left on screws - Regency

Nassau - Crowded, felt un-welcomed, treated rudely

St Kitts - riot when we arrived

Most liked ports:

St. Martin - beautiful people and beaches

St Barts - very European

St Thomas - good shopping

St John - Love the chickens as you get off the ferry, beautiful beaches, prestine

Playa Del Carmen - Beautiful beaches, great shopping and restaurants, fun place

Cozumel - great snorkeling

Jamacia - I have been there 15 times, the people are kind and loving if you get to know them

Denise

1. Jamiaca, have to say we loved dunns river falls, but the gauntlet of the market, on the way out was very scary, especially when one of the vendors grabbed hold of my son and kept him their until I paid $40 for 2 peices of carved wood which i had no desire for whatsoever. The town was no better, with taxi drivers not wanting to take no for an answer and like a lady mentioned earlier, someone wanting to braid my hair, although my hair is only an inch to an inch and a half long, and spikey

2. Cozumel, loved Playa mia beach the first time we went but last time we went into the town and,I know it was very shortly after the hurricane damage but there was an air of desperation about the vendors and it was really quite scary

I have to say we love St Martin, it's one of the few places I would like to go and spend a week or so, we also like Gran Cayman and St Thomas, so again it's all down to personal choice

1. Jamiaca, have to say we loved dunns river falls, but the gauntlet of the market, on the way out was very scary, especially when one of the vendors grabbed hold of my son and kept him their until I paid $40 for 2 peices of carved wood which i had no desire for whatsoever.

Thats my problem. If someone grabbed my son in America I would without a doubt beat the living crap out of them. I don't want to be in jail in a foreign country so I don't know what I would do under those conditions. I think it is best if I just stay away.

It would have to be:

Jamaica:

Pushy, agressive, dangerous

Cozumel:

Pushy, agressive, rude, they want the dollars but they are not very nice when you don't want to buy, they speak in spanish and virtually cuss you out. Not what it used to be - this was our favorite port years ago!

Cayman:

Beach is not near as nice as it used to be, before all the last few hurricanes, too expensive

Martinique:

Rude French people - felt like we were in France

Nassau:

Rude, VERY PUSHY, VERY AGRESSIVE, don't take no for an answer, they physically hold on to you and follow you. Thank goodness the hairbraiders are now restricted from assaulting you as you leave the pier area !!!

Just curious about the posters who are upset about the 'hard sellers' on these islands:

Have any of you been in the REAL-southern part of Mexico? Hard selling is a way of life for these people. I am not making excuses for them when they are physically aggressive..no one likes that...but this is part of their culture. Something we Americans are not used to, for sure.

Not trying to start an argument, but just wondering why everyone is so shocked about this selling procedure.

I hope this does not offend anyone and it is cetainly not meant to because of course everyone has a different experience. I was surprised to see such negative information on Jamaica. I have been there 6 or 7 times, to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, I have never encountered extremely pushy people, of course in the craft market I expect it, but a firm "No thank you" keeps them at bay. If you feel uncomfortable and you are in a JUTA taxi the driver will go in with you for a look and keep people from being realy aggressive. I have met some wonderfully kind souls there who I patronize time after time. I think as Americans like Mona stated we are not used to it but please do not let a feel bad apples spoil a beautiful island!

I hope this does not offend anyone and it is cetainly not meant to because of course everyone has a different experience. I was surprised to see such negative information on Jamaica. I have been there 6 or 7 times, to Ocho Rios and Montego Bay, I have never encountered extremely pushy people, of course in the craft market I expect it, but a firm "No thank you" keeps them at bay. If you feel uncomfortable and you are in a JUTA taxi the driver will go in with you for a look and keep people from being realy aggressive. I have met some wonderfully kind souls there who I patronize time after time. I think as Americans like Mona stated we are not used to it but please do not let a feel bad apples spoil a beautiful island!

I certainly don't think you have insulted anyone. My take on Jamaica; we loved Dunn's River Falls and enjoyed a second tour many years ago rafting on the river. That is all the positive I can say about Jamaica and I am not a negative person by any means. In Montego Bay, if I hadn't been with DH I would perhaps been scared we were so rude and pushy. When we stayed at an all inclusive there (ocro Rios) about 10 years ago we were advised by the managers of the property, for our own safety not to leave the grounds without a tour person. When you are told that, you do get a little nervous. NMNita

I think several posters have said exactly what they feel the problem is, poor people scare them and begging makes them uncomfortable. Keep in mind this is a third world country and these people are not wealthy.

I am thankful for all the blessings I have been given in life but I try to be tolerant because I know not everyone has enough food or money.

Admittedly there are some on these islands who take advantage of the tourists but I had a worse experience with locals ignorance in New York City!

This is just my humble opinion and in no way am I trying to upset anyone!

Thanks.

I certainly don't think you have insulted anyone. My take on Jamaica; we loved Dunn's River Falls and enjoyed a second tour many years ago rafting on the river. That is all the positive I can say about Jamaica and I am not a negative person by any means. In Montego Bay, if I hadn't been with DH I would perhaps been scared we were so rude and pushy. When we stayed at an all inclusive there (ocro Rios) about 10 years ago we were advised by the managers of the property, for our own safety not to leave the grounds without a tour person. When you are told that, you do get a little nervous. NMNita

I could understand being nervous when the locals tell you not to do something!

I think several posters have said exactly what they feel the problem is, poor people scare them and begging makes them uncomfortable. Keep in mind this is a third world country and these people are not wealthy.

I am thankful for all the blessings I have been given in life but I try to be tolerant because I know not everyone has enough food or money.

Admittedly there are some on these islands who take advantage of the tourists but I had a worse experience with locals ignorance in New York City!

This is just my humble opinion and in no way am I trying to upset anyone!

Thanks.

actually,

I think what several people have said, myself included, is that they didn't like it when the vendors were extremely pushy and aggressive to the point of putting their hands on you.

We didn't encounter any beggars in Jamaica. We are used to markets and street vendors and beggars in NY. I grew up poor, and dh's family was working poor for most of his childhood. Our unwillingness to spend our hard earned money now in a country where we will be manhandled and where we have to watch grown men chase an elderly woman walking with a walker and try to force her to buy something has nothing to do with being uncomfortable around poor people or beggars (none of these vendors looked malnourished, all were well fed and well dressed). Instead, we choose to spend our money where we are welcome.

I really don't have a least favorite

However, when we first found Cozumel in 1991 we absolutely fell in love with it and it's people. We were told then that only 2 ships a week came in. Since then we have been back several times via plane and cruise ship and are returning again in a couple of months for a week. I have to say that every time we go back that San Miguel has taken a turn for the worst but I think it's from all the commercialization that has taken over (plus up to 6 ships a day). Especially along the waterfront. Honestly, it seems that the population has changed. We have always found that if you get away from the waterfront they are not near as pushy. This past trip was the first time I have ever seen armed soldiers. I do wonder how much of that is from the recovering hurricane situation.

I agree that when you get away from town that you can still find the paradise it was when we found it. I love this island and the people that live there....at least the ones that are "really" from Cozumel.

actually,

I think what several people have said, myself included, is that they didn't like it when the vendors were extremely pushy and aggressive to the point of putting their hands on you.

We didn't encounter any beggars in Jamaica. We are used to markets and street vendors and beggars in NY. I grew up poor, and dh's family was working poor for most of his childhood. Our unwillingness to spend our hard earned money now in a country where we will be manhandled and where we have to watch grown men chase an elderly woman walking with a walker and try to force her to buy something has nothing to do with being uncomfortable around poor people or beggars (none of these vendors looked malnourished, all were well fed and well dressed). Instead, we choose to spend our money where we are welcome.

I figured someone would take offense, most of the people who posted were upset with pushy and aggressive vendors, I agree that NO ONE has a right to touch you or anyone else BUT when a first time cruiser reads some of these posts and I know one who has, they get the impression that you are not safe anywhere in Jamaica. I respect your right to dislike pushy and aggressive behavior but the sense newbies get is that they may need to stay on the ship as opposed to get off and experience the island.

I figured someone would take offense, most of the people who posted were upset with pushy and aggressive vendors, I agree that NO ONE has a right to touch you or anyone else BUT when a first time cruiser reads some of these posts and I know one who has, they get the impression that you are not safe anywhere in Jamaica. I respect your right to dislike pushy and aggressive behavior but the sense newbies get is that they may need to stay on the ship as opposed to get off and experience the island.

I wasn't offended at all. Just because someone doesn't agree with what you have written doesn't mean they were offended. We're all entitled to our own opinion :).

I tell everyone, strangers, family, friends, about my opinion about Jamaica.

About the only thing I can think of that would get me to Jamaica again is if a niece or nephew or the son or daughter of a good friend were getting married there.

Costa Maya is my least favorite port. The pushy vendors and "Nothing Town" did absolutely nothing for me. Maybe if I could have gone to Chac chi or Maya Palms, I would have a different point of view. I see a few reviews with raves about the port. Maybe I need to get drunk to enjoy it?

I thought that Progreso would be boring, but after 3 trips we have always found something interesting to do.

Haven't been to many ports, but we went to Jamaica about 13 years ago, and don't ever care to go back. We took a tour of Dunn's River Falls, and it was beautiful, but as several here have stated, the straw market was a nightmare. Two of our daughters, ages 21 & 17 were with us, and it was difficult to just keep us all together. Vendors (both men and women) would come out and literally try to pull one of us into their booths, and at the same time, others were trying to pull one (or both) of our girls into their booths. I wasn't sure we all were going to get out of there. :eek: I'm sorry that others here are offended by posts that state the people in Jamaica are aggressive and rude, but the ones we encountered in both the market and on the street were very much so. I don't think people are trying to talk people out of going to Jamaica, just want to make others aware to be prepared for this kind of behavior.

That said, I will have to say that there were some vendors on the beach that were very nice. No grabbing and pulling. We did buy some things from them. Still, I don't care to go back.

I have never been to Jamicia and most likely never will based on the posts on here and there are alot. No before someone tells me the I might go and like it, it seams that too many people have issues. It is kinda like someone trying something to eat and saying "EEEEWW that taste like crap, here you try" I don't care to try it, I might like it, but there are many other things in the world to eat.

I've just finished reading all the posts. I think the main difference between a terrible experience & a great one is to stay away from the "shopping tours", the bus loads of tourists going to one place, and the port areas.

I've been to Cozumel & Ocho Rios with another single girl on a Carnival Cruise.

We rented a jeep in Coz. & headed out towards the western end of the island, where we found a great beach (hammocks, tiki snack hut, no crowds). When we headed back to town, we took the recommendations of a store owner for lunch in a friendly local restaurant.

In Jamaica, we had an even better time. Although we were all direly warned by the cruise director, etc. not to travel alone under any circumstances, we hired a wonderful cab driver at the pier. Not wanting to be ripped off at a tourist restaurant, we asked him to take us where
he
has lunch (he even ordered for us, delicious things we would have never tried on our own). After that we went shopping: to a music store, and a supermarket. Cheap stuff, no pushy vendors. Then we climbed the falls & went back to the ship.

I'm convinced that the key is to "get out there", stay away from the ship crowds, and avoid the shopping scene. If you put yourself out there, you will certainly meet the wonderful people of the Caribbean & appreciate their beautiful countries.

Archived