Anyone missed the ship after a shore excursion?

jswrpw83

I'm getting ready to book some shore excursions. A few ports of call have better private excursions than what the ship is offering. But that really makes me nervous about missing the boat and being stranded! Have you been stranded? What happened?

While I have never been stranded, there are plenty of folks who have. It happens every day on every ship, usually by those who lose track of time while relaxing in the local bar. Most independant trip operators will get you back to the ship in time, and go to great lengths to do so, because they know that failing to get you back will result in fewer bookings. That said, I would schedule any independent tours for early in the day, with a MINIMUM one hour extra leeway in case something goes wrong, more if you are traveling a long distance from the ship.

If you are left behind for any reason, you contact the port representative for your cruiseline, this is a local company that works with the cruiseline in arranging dock and shore facilities and schedules and they are listed on your ship newsletter. They will assist you in making arrangements to get to the next port, but you are responsible for all costs and having all necessary travel documents with you. Depending on your itinerary, it can be easy or difficult to find transportion to the next port so it could take only a few hours or several days.

I didn't think about people getting caught up in a bar's, ah--atmosphere, and missing the ship! I just heard someone on our last cruise say, "Let's go up and wave to the people who miss the boat!" When I looked startled, she said that at every port someone gets left behind. I sure didn't see anyone that day, thank goodness!, but it did get me thinking. I was going to set up a private afternoon snorkel cruise to St. John when in St. Thomas, and that seems to be something that could become problematic. Great advice on going for a half day and leaving in the morning! I'm also interested in an all day tour on St. Lucia and will probably book that through the ship just because I've heard their roads can be a challenge and a lot of ground is covered--away from the ship! I guess I might feel more comfortable taking risks as I get a few more cruises under my belt :)

Here's a few things that may help you.

If only in port for a few hours use ship excursions ie San Jaun from 1-6 pm. San Jaun where you dock is in the old part of town and the roads become conjested. We were late getting back from ships tour they waited for us for an extra 1/2 hour. There were still crew that were left behind. (2 of the muscians got caught in the same traffic jam by the port.) We waved to them as we left.

If you are there all day and want a private tour do it in the early part of day. Example you get in at 7 Am and leave at 6 pm. You must be back on the ship by 5:30. So your tour can last from 8am- 4:30pm. That gives you one hour before you have to be back as a buffer.

As above most private tour companies want your business and repeat/recommended people. In Grand Cayman I have used Native Way twice now. They have always gotten me back in lots of time. If you check the board for each port on here you will learn whcih companies are good.

The other time I use the cruiseline is when going to the Tulum Ruins in Coz. The great distance involved would require it because if anything happened to the bus then they would help you and wait for you but if you drove on your own and got in an accident, sorry, have fun facing the Mexican authorities on your own.

We're considering booking on our own on St. Thomas but, admittedly, it makes me a little nervous too. I know the odds are grossly in our favor, but just what if something happens to the tour bus or the boat we're on, etc. We get back late and we're out of luck. I guess the extra cost the cruise line charges gives me insurance that the ship won't leave without me if something does happen. Am I overly cautious?

I have done a private sailing shore excursion in St. Thomas and its a calculated risk I'm willing to take in some circumstances. I'm planning on doing it again on my cruise leaving next week only because its so much nicer being on a small sailboat with 6 people rather than a shore excursion with tons of people. I wouldn't book privately just to save a few dollars but it can be worth it for an excursion not offered by the cruise line or if you don't want to be with a huge crowd. I was on a Carnival sponsored shore excursion to the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins in Belize when our bus broke down. The ship was supposed to leave at 4 and we didn't arrive back to the dock until 6. The ship waited for us because we booked through Carnival.

Folks here have given you good advice. But on balance, the benefits of doing excursions on your own FAR outweigh the possibilty of missing the ship. Use a little common sense, check for reliable local operators on the ports of call boards, do your excursions in the morning and save the shopping for the afternoon and by and large, you'll be fine

AND you'll avoid the crowded tour busses and the fussy kids and the inevitable folks who never get back to the bus when they're supposed to, holding everyone else up.

On a private excursion you can stop where you want for pictures, tailor the tour to your interests and pay at least 25% less than what the cruise line would charge you. The cruise passengers are these folks bread and butter. The last thing they want is for you to miss your ship and have you come back and tell everyone on the boards to avoid them.

Now for all day trips or for those that go quite a distance from the ship, sure, you may want to consdier the ship tours... but for your basic island look around, I'd go independent every time.

And DO get out into the countryside. I can't believe the number of people who never venture beyond the port city. They are missing out on SO much.

Archived