Amerisuites - Fort Lauderdale

bh2359

I've seen a lot of reviews for this hotel and most were not complimentary. I really have no idea why.

We stayed at Amerisuites 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale (1851 SE 10th Avenue) on November 22nd. We had booked the room previously for $75.00.

Upon arrival at the airport, we picked up the courtesy phone and they were there within ten minutes to get us and bring us to the hotel.

Those at the desk were very nice with smiles everywhere. We were quickly checked in and went to our room. Up high, we could glance out the windows at the end of the hall and see part of the cruise port, they were that close!

Yes, the rooms are older but in no way not functional. A mini-suite with a sofa etc. in one room and the bedroom in the other, along with a real nice bathroom. Absolutely no complaints here.

A few restaurants, including Outback, were within a block (one was right across the parking lot, you have to shortcut through the hedge!) A shopping center with a Publix store was a short two block walk away.

The next morning, we went down to see what their "free breakfast" consisted of. Wow! Eggs, bacon, sausauge, cereal, juice, and more, and even a waffle machine to make your own.

We had signed up for the shuttle to the pier and that was also completely hassle-free. At the designated time, the van was there, we got in, and were whisked to the proper pier for our cruise.

I can not see a better deal than $75.00 per night in Fort Lauderdale for Amerisuites. Yes, Ramada has bought the chain but the man at the desk told me that a private person had bought this particular one and that major changes were not going to take place. It's a great deal and I really can not see what those negative reviews were about.

Yes, Ramada has bought the chain....

No, Hyatt bought the chain.

The Hyatt Place website shows the rebranding in spring 2007.

Numerous travel websites are already referring to the property as "Hyatt Place 17th Street". :rolleyes:

http://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/place/about/coming-soon.jsp

//////

Thanks so much for the review. I am relieved! We will be staying at the Amerisuites in Jan. for 1 night precruise. So pleased to hear that it is "functional". After reading some of the past negative reviews, I was invisioning a totally disabled bathroom and the room being a wreck.

Not only did your review put my mind at ease about staying there, it sounds like it is in a good location. Close to restaurants etc.

Again, thanks so much for putting my mind at ease. Now I won't be dreading checking into the Amerisuites.

We're staying Dec. 26, post-cruise, and it's holiday rates which are a little higher than $75. Still, everything else on 17th was more like 200/night, and that's too much when we're just staying an extra night for fun. What I got out of the reviews is that you get what you pay for. The location is great, but there's a reason it's half the price of hotels in the area. As long as it's not dirty, and I don't see any rats or obvious hookers, we'll be fine. The breakfast sounds like a great extra perk! We just wanted to stay somewhere we could walk to the main drag and see a bit of Ft. Lauderdale. Thanks for letting us know that it's OK!

This is what is called "GREED" - the American way of economics. Ron

Too bad it's just not that simple.

In South Florida the cost of windstorm (hurricane) insurance has quadrupled, property taxes for businesses have tripled, energy costs are two or three times as high as last year. Just like you and me, they have their bills to pay too. Until the insurance crisis in SoFla is resolved hotels will have no choice but to continue to raise their rates to make ends meet. :cool:

Also, to the poster mentioning Feb 7, that might be close enough to the Superbowl in Miami to affect rates. We're paying $129 for holiday rates for one night getting off our cruise on Dec 26, but it's the day after christmas, and every other hotel on 17th was out of our price range. Review will follow...in a couple weeks.

Archived