Rum Point.. How can I get there?

MonkeySea

Hi everyone,

I really want to go to Rum point and spend a day at the beach. Unfortunately, I have waited too long to make up my mind on what I wanted to do and Avis is sold out of cars the day I will be there. Anyone know of anyother way to get to Rum Point? Thanks in advance!

I was just at Rum Point last week. I had read so many good reviews about it. I was so disappointed. It took over an hour to get there. Once we got there we went into the water. It was very rocky. We also walked out about 100 ft and it never came past our waist. I would never do it again. Our driver said it was due to a hurricane they had

If you are into boats and wanna spend a day on the water I would reccomend doing the native way rum point trip. Its simply awsome I think we payed about 60 dollars per person and we did the stingrays a snorkeling spot and then went to rum point for out a hour and a half where we had lunch (which was provided) and lounged around on the beach. Another really good was that we had a videoperson captureing the hole thing on tape so we didnt have to. The guys are real friendly and they really looked after my family and I. Rum point is really nice but there isn't alot to do there apart from relaxing. I really enjoyed the whole day I reecomend it to everyone and anyone. Anyway i hope that this helps you out.....

Really? How did you get there? Did you hire a driver and if so, how much?

Any other suggestions on what to do other than Rum Point? We don't want to do stingray city and just wanted to lounge around a nice beach.

Last time we were on GC, we hopped in a cab and asked the driver to take us to a nice beach. 7 mile beach is absolutely beautiful! There are many nice spots, some with chairs. Many of the resorts have day passes as well. It's much closer to the port than Rum Point as well.

http://www.caymanvacations.com/indexmenu.htm?general/gcinformation.htm&2

If you haven't been to Seven MIle Beach, then that is my first choice. We have been to Grand Cayman many times and taken in most of the sites including the must do Swim with the Sting Rays. In November, we reserved a 4x4 Jeep tour through Island Marketing which ends with beach time at Rum Point @$69 each. There is a restaurant/bar run by Marriott if you wish to buy refreshments. Our day was wonderful with Gino, our driver guide who drove.

Bon Voyage

i second NativeWay's Rays Reef and Rum Point tour. I didnt want to snorkel, so I just kinda swam around in the beautiful water by the boat. I didnt think I would hold a stingray, but I did and it was great! Rum Point was so relaxing and beautiful! The boat ride to Rum Point was so fun! Our guide was Chris and he was great! It was my favorite day of the whole cruise! Lunch was great and the drinks were good! :)

Rum Point is fabulous is you want a relaxing beach with a beautiful view! From what you describe wanting, you will love it! The great thing is that there is no one there! Disney is the only cruise line that drops passengers there, and its usually about 40 or so people. The hammocks and beach chairs are free to use and you can just chill all day.

Its like being stuck in a corona commercial :)

If Avis is out of cars, have you tried another agency? Andy's? Cayman Auto Rental?

There are several car rental places on the island, and getting there isnt complicated (the whole island is like 24 miles long), but it does take close to 45 minutes.

A cab would be expensive.

If you want to see pics, click on the link in our signature.

Feel free to post other questions.

We also did the jeep tour that ended at Rum Point last week. Gino, our guide took us to out of the way places where the views were spectacular. When we got to Rum Point he asked us how long we wanted to stay before starting back. The restaurant was closed for renovations but we ordered lunch on the beach from the snack bar. All in all we had a great day.

I have read that unfortunately Disney now owns the ferry and it is only available to the Disney cruise passengers. :( Sure would've made things alot easier.

Quite untrue. Disney charters the ferry from the company which owns it, Caribbean Marine Services. CMS also provides many of the tenders in Georgetown.

At this time, CMS is still not operating the ferry for regular passenger service to Rum Point. Disney does charter the ferry for a long-standing shore excursion to Rum Point. Occasionally other companies (often large groups staying on the island) charter the ferry too.

The previous ferry route was from the canal at the Hyatt hotel to Rum Point. It was heavily promoted to guests of the Hyatt. Unfortunately two years ago a hurricane severely water damaged many of the rooms at the Hyatt, and they have not fully reopened. With a reduced customer base, CMS has not made the business decision to reopen regular service.

Red Sails Sports Web site that has a location at Rum Point stated there is a ferry to Rum Point for 15.00 round trip. I have emailed them but no response and I also requested a brochure. So I'll let you know what I find out.

The Red Sail connection to Rum Point is numerous. The Rum Point property is owned by the owners of Red Sail in Cayman, but managed by the Hyatt. One of the owners of Hyatt hotels internationally is a significant stakeholder in Red Sail Sports.

At least one of the Caymanian stakeholders in Red Sail also owns Caribbean Marine Services. CMS owns and operates the ferry.

Red Sail has continued to list the ferry services on their brouchure, even through reprintings, even though the ferry has not been operating on a regular schedule for more than two years. This is a point of frustration for the front line workers at Red Sail as they still get several questions on the issue on a daily basis.

Quite untrue. Disney charters the ferry from the company which owns it, Caribbean Marine Services. CMS also provides many of the tenders in Georgetown.

At this time, CMS is still not operating the ferry for regular passenger service to Rum Point. Disney does charter the ferry for a long-standing shore excursion to Rum Point. Occasionally other companies (often large groups staying on the island) charter the ferry too.

The previous ferry route was from the canal at the Hyatt hotel to Rum Point. It was heavily promoted to guests of the Hyatt. Unfortunately two years ago a hurricane severely water damaged many of the rooms at the Hyatt, and they have not fully reopened. With a reduced customer base, CMS has not made the business decision to reopen regular service.

Sorry for the mis-information (is that a word?:rolleyes: ) I had read that somewhere and was just trying to help out. At any rate, I'm guess I can't plan on using it when we're there in February :(. It sure would be more convenient.

• 3 weeks later...

We are looking at booking the 4X4 jeep tour through island marketing for the 3rd week in January. Can anyone comment on the method of payment. Must you pay full in advance? I believe they want at least a credit card deposit on it and what happens if the ship cannot tender that day? Also, if you don't mind can you comment in a bit of detail about the excursion. Thanx in advance :)

you should be able to catch a taxi. When are you going?

Jill

Again, for emphasis, a taxi to Rum Point will be quite costly. Some taxis in Cayman charge per person, so be absolutely sure of your total price before heading to a far off destination such as Rum Point. Expect it to be at least US$100 round trip and you will need to arrange your return ride as their are NO taxis just hanging out at Rum Point waiting for fares.

Renting a car to do it yourself is a better idea.

We are looking at booking the 4X4 jeep tour through island marketing for the 3rd week in January. Can anyone comment on the method of payment. Must you pay full in advance? I believe they want at least a credit card deposit on it and what happens if the ship cannot tender that day? Also, if you don't mind can you comment in a bit of detail about the excursion. Thanx in advance :)

You put down your 15% deposit with a CC, then balance is in cash or Traveller's Checks only. If you are unable to make it to port, your deposit IS refundable. :) Hope that helps!

If this ends as a double post, I apologize in advance. I posted a reply, but it's disappeared, LOL.

You put your 15% deposit down with a CC, then the balance is required in cash or Traveller's Checks. If your ship cannot make it into port, your deposit is fully refundable. Hope that helps! :)

Archived