JotWorld

New marketing slogans:

Princess....escape partially

Princess....escape sometimes

Princess....escape from your cell phone, unless you don't want to

Princess....you can't escape

Princess....just try to escape

Princess....away from it all, unless you get a call

As you can tell, a marketing person I'm not. Any other ideas?

Well this does open a new topic of discussion with folks at the dinner table:

"So where do you go on the ship to get three bars?" or

"I found a new ring tone that blends with the orchestra music."

How did I ever raise my kids, go on vacations, work, go shopping, dine out, see movies etc. without a cell phone glued to my ear?

And how did my father be a doctor without one? Simple, if he was going to a restaurant when he was on call, he gives the phone number of the restaurant to his service and then tells the host or hostess at the restaurant that he's a doctor (he never ever booked a reservation under Dr. .....) and may receive a call while dining. If he and my mother were going on a trip, another doctor would handle his calls while away. They never called us kids to even check on us. We would have the hotel number in case of emergency but we also had family friends to call for the minor stuff, if needed.

New marketing slogans:

LOL. Oh, god, that brings up a whole 'nother discussion: those obnoxious ring tones.

To the folks who are defending this with the "it might be an important call", please listen to calls around you for the next few days and tell us how many inconsequential calls you hear before you find that urgent one. If you get to 100 before you hear it, then don't bother counting any more....Jape

Here's another thought. STOP listening to other people's calls. Stop worrying about what they are doing, what they're wearing, where they're sitting, how long they've been swimming with their towel on a chair....

Live your own life, and stop trying to control how others live theirs!

A bit curious as to what the problem really is, so now it is an 'official' statement but has been done many times on all cruise lines.

I have an international cell phone and have used it on Princess (out on deck). I've seen many people on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and RCI talking on their cell phones.

The problem with this notion is that you can't get away from them!

Just curious, but if the party on the other end of the phone was on deck too, and they were talking to each other....would THAT be a problem?

Not everyone talks louder into a cell phone...the reason it perturbs the psyche might be a subconscious desire to eavesdrop...and being frustrated at only hearing 1/2 of the conversation? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Just curious, but if the party on the other end of the phone was on deck too, and they were talking to each other....would THAT be a problem?

Not everyone talks louder into a cell phone...the reason it perturbs the psyche might be a subconscious desire to eavesdrop...and being frustrated at only hearing 1/2 of the conversation? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

What has this got to do with not being able to get away from cell users? And leave my psyche alone and follow your own advice and stop trying to control others.

I've stayed away from this thread because I have mixed emotions about it. The way I feel is that if it is important to stay in touch then use your cell phone, but please be considerate. Use it in a location that won't be offensive to others. If you need it to call out, but don't really need to receive calls, then turn it off until you need to make a call. For those who really don't need it, leave it at home or turned off while on the cruise.

New marketing slogans:

LOL! This is my favorite post this week! Very creative.

Love: Princess....away from it all, unless you get a call. :D

sjbdtz,

I find your reasoning ridiculous. I wonder what your opinion is of police officers---after all, they spend all day stopping people from expressing their individuality. :cool:

Jape

But I swear I've never seen this "it's all about Marsha, Marsha, Marsha" attitude on the NCL board....

- dress like us, or YOU go eat elsewhere

- don't get a phone call, or YOU go to your cabin

- stay seated in a lounger, or YOU go stand somewhere

There just APPEARS to be this holier than thou attitude at work here, and it's off-putting.

I'm not affixing it to any one person or persons, but there's a general air...and I'm hoping that I'm misreading things.

Why can't people learn to live with other people, regardless of differences of opinion, schedule, food preference, availability for cell phone calls, etc.?

;)

I’m not sure whether ;) means you really are kidding and are just trying to bait this discussion or if you’re serious. Perhaps you should stay with NCL instead of wasting your time and money on Princess – between your refusal to acknowledge Princess’ dress guidelines and now your being at odds with the majority of Princess cruisers who have posted here who don’t feel cell phone service is needed at sea, you might not fit in. The two cruise lines are not alike, nor is the passenger base they attract.

People can learn to live together, but as ‘rob says, it takes some compromise. It's not a matter of not listening to others' calls - many others want to look important and their way of doing so is to shout into a cell phone so everyone can hear - you may have selective hearing, but most of us do not. You’re not asking people to learn to live together, you’re asking people to give up what they like about cruising because what they like doesn’t fit your lifestyle. But there is a cruise line out there for everyone – it’s just a matter of finding it and sticking to it.

Well, I was going to stay out of this one but here it goes. If cell phones are restricted to the staterooms, only I have no problem. Now here is the controversy. People are complaining about cell phone usage on board a ship but never complain when someone asks about using a satellite phone. What gives?

What conforming?

THAT'S THE PROBLEM, PEOPLE DON'T FOLLOW RULES OR PROPER ETTIQUETE (sp?), AS AN EXAMPLE JUST WATCH THE WAY PEOPLE ARE DRESSED WHEN THEY ENTER THE DINING ROOM.

For all Largin knows, they may be on the phone with the hospital, giving authorization for lifesaving surgery for an aging parent....and his decision to selfishly jam the signal could make the difference.

NICE TRY, HAVING WORKED IN HOSPITALS FOR OVER 30 YEARS, IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.

Or a businessperson who had booked their vacation a year ago, only to find that the deal of their career is due to happen while they're away...but they are on the receiving end of the call, so they can't control where they are when the call happens.

HAS ANYONE HEARD OF E-MAILS AND EMERGENCY PHONES WHILE ON BOARD A SHIP, AS WELL AS SOFTWARE PROGRAMS THAT ALLOWS YOU TO CALL LONG DISTANCE FROM YOUR LAPTOP?

I don't have any problem with him politely asking them to lower their volume

GOOD LUCK, AND WHEN THEY SAY **** YOU, THEN WHAT, YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE GOES UP, YOU GET MAD, AND IT RUINS YOUR BEAUTIFUL CRUISE.

This time I'm taking the Dollar out of Dollar Bill

Personally, I like to talk on the cell phone on the open decks, while smoking.

If I can be "saving" a few chairs by the pool, so much the better.

Then I just pull on my tee shirt for formal night.

My kids are bringing their friends this spring break so that they can run amuck on the Crown. I have showed them the "Brownie Riot" and they are sure that they can create a better movie for You tube. I'll be sure to put it up on cruise critic.

I don't have to worry about them getting drinks from the bar, because I am smuggling all mine in after I buy it at the pier. They will get a soda card and we will all share it.

And the last night of the cruise I'll be sure to remove the autotip since I am traveling with kids and who needs to tip for them ? And why should I be paying the staff for Princess, those cheapskates.

Did I miss anything ?

Well said Jacqueline, I say AMEN.

Over and out,

Dollar Bill

I’m not sure whether ;) means you really are kidding and are just trying to bait this discussion or if you’re serious.

Perhaps a little of both. What fun is debate, if the preacher only talks to the choir?

Perhaps you should stay with NCL instead of wasting your time and money on Princess

Too late. I'm booked, and I'm going. And I'm going to enjoy it, despite everyone's attempts to make it horrible.

between your refusal to acknowledge Princess’ dress guidelines

I acknowledge them. I also acknowledge that they're antiquated. That said, since I don't want a bunch of uptight people screaming at me on vacation, I'll spend the extra $200 over-weight allowance charges on the airline, and bring a suit.

and now your being at odds with the majority of Princess cruisers who have posted here who don’t feel cell phone service is needed at sea,

Maybe this is what irks me the most. The whole "majority rules", so the other 49% of you can just do things our way....approach.

you might not fit in.

I am perfectly capable of fitting in, both in a night club, and a business meeting with the CEO of a fortune 500 company. I can spend a night at a bowling alley, or the opera with equal aplomb. It's a question of whether I want to, or agree with the premise of being forced to, while ostensibly on vacation.

The two cruise lines are not alike, nor is the passenger base they attract.

This is just anecdotal, but I'd wager that the two cruiselines with the greatest amount of passenger cross-over are Princess & NCL. The anytime / freestyle dining attracts many of the same people, and those who have exhausted NCL's itinerary's outside of the Carribbean (never been, never going)...tend to fall to Princess next.

many others want to look important

By wearing a tux to dinner? :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

and their way of doing so is to shout into a cell phone so everyone can hear - you may have selective hearing, but most of us do not.

The thing I don't understand is, how is this different than if they were shouting to their hard-of-hearing companion sitting next to them? What is it, in the addition of a telephonic appliance, that changes two people talking...into someone trying to show off?

You’re not asking people to learn to live together, you’re asking people to give up what they like about cruising because what they like doesn’t fit your lifestyle.

Umm....they could switch cruiselines!

I've never been a black kettle....and I hadn't mistaken you for a pot, but every post you have written to me has suggested that I should give up what I like about cruising, because it doesn't fit YOUR lifestyle (or of course "I can change cruiselines" because you think I'm lower class than you... btw, you're wrong). And "I was here first" would be a childish response :rolleyes: .

But there is a cruise line out there for everyone – it’s just a matter of finding it and sticking to it.

Actually the majority of cruiselines are in evolution, innovating with auto-tipping, embark/debark changes, new itineraries, new meal plans, flexible dress, etc. Brand loyalty is slipping and homogeny is heading for the industry.

All that said, I've never used my cellphone while at sea, even though NCL has had onboard cellphone access for years.

Cordially,

Stephen

GOOD LUCK, AND WHEN THEY SAY **** YOU, THEN WHAT, YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE GOES UP, YOU GET MAD, AND IT RUINS YOUR BEAUTIFUL CRUISE.

This time I'm taking the Dollar out of Dollar Bill

Oh,...I wouldn't be so rude as to do that myself...but I wouldn't begrudge the other posters doing it. It beats electing to block someone's call electronically...just because it can be done.

What has this got to do with not being able to get away from cell users? And leave my psyche alone and follow your own advice and stop trying to control others.

What I did was ask a simple question. Why are you so desperate to get away from cellphone users? Is it that they are talking?

How is that different than if the person they are talking TO, is there with them?

Is it that you can only hear one side of the conversation which is frustrating?

I just don't get it. Even in a 5 star restaurant...if a travelling businessperson is eating alone, and takes a call, and quietly speaks to the other party...how is it different (to me) than if the other party were also in the room?

sjbdtz,

I find your reasoning ridiculous. I wonder what your opinion is of police officers---after all, they spend all day stopping people from expressing their individuality. :cool:

Jape

Wow. In MY school, we were taught that police officers stopped people from breaking the law, not from expressing their individuality.

Maybe this is what irks me the most. The whole "majority rules", so the other 49% of you can just do things our way....approach.
Since you are aware of the dress code on Princess ships ("I acknowledge them. I also acknowledge that they're antiquated."), it's your choice whether to book on Princess or not. No one is forcing you to but since you choose to book Princess, then you are accepting responsibility for following the dress code guidelines. You mention being comfortable at a bowling alley or the opera so I presume you follow unstated dress codes at those places (unless, of course, it says "Black tie") so I don't understand why you resent following the Princess dress code.

P.S., I don't think the dress code is antiquated as there are many, many people who enjoy dressing up and looking nice for the evening. Not everyone wants to treat cruising like going to the local bowling alley or that all cruises should be like "casual Friday."

Know what's most fun of all?

The whole discussion is academic. The change has happened. The OP was an announcement, not a "do you approve" survey.

And, like all of the discussions about dress code..... the stock answer is "this is the way Princess has chosen to do things, and if you don't like it you can always go cruise on (name that cruiseline) "

:) :) :)

smoke in your neighbourhood yesterday sure didn't clog your keyboard....very prolific tonight:)

I walked over to the fire :( Quite upsetting. It was one of my 5 favorite places to hangout & eat. (Are you a local?)

Had smoke coming in through the condo ventilation system. Smelled of pine.

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, Sassafraz, a restaurant in my neighbourhood burned down yesterday (well the walls are still standing...but it's to be determined whether they're structurally sound).

There were 29 fire trucks responding. There's a YouTube video found here:

Sad. :(

I walked over to the fire :( Quite upsetting. It was one of my 5 favorite places to hangout & eat. (Are you a local?)

Had smoke coming in through the condo ventilation system. Smelled of pine.

For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, Sassafraz, a restaurant in my neighbourhood burned down yesterday (well the walls are still standing...but it's to be determined whether they're structurally sound).

There were 29 fire trucks responding. There's a YouTube video found here:

Sad. :(

we used to live at bedford and lowther

Archived