Whats at anchor off Port Everglades?

fireofficer5

NO NO NO!

I noticed exactly the same thing that the OP is referring to. There's a ship that looks like a cruise ship - at least from a distance - that's anchored out at sea near the Fort Lauderdale port. It looks like an HAL ship only because of the black hull and the white superstructure. However, its likely not. Anyway, it was out there at least two full days prior to my departure from Fort Lauderdale and I saw it from the air as our plane flew east out over the ocean before heading north up the North American coastline.

Thus, I have been wondering exactly the same thing? Is there a ship permanently moored out there?

David

Prinsendam is listed as "wet dock" for today and tomorrow, which would be maintenabce work other than outside hull. If they are doing things that don't need shore support, they might have gone out and anchored to cut down on the dock fees. Otherwise she should be tied up somewhere around the Port Everglades piers.

We've been watching that ship from our villa at BeachPlace ever since we got off the Westerdam a week ago.

It is lit up like a cruise ship at night, but that is about it as far as any signs of life go. Its only movement is to occasionally change from a northwest to a southwest heading, albeit without any sign of forward motion.

The dark color on the bottom (confirmed by viewing in full sunlight) is sort of a dark royal blue; definitely not HAL black.

Art

Archived