US $$$ or local currency??

BettyNL

We have had different responses to our need for cash:

Should we arrive (by air) in Santiago with Chilean pesos or will US $$ be accepted by taxi drivers / tour guides?? (this, of course, is besides the $100 pp entry fee)

thanks for your assistance.........

I always take some of ther local currency whereever we go. While they might take U.S. $, you'll probably get ripped off in the exchange process.

If you don't want to take any local money with you, you can always get some local currency at the airport ATM's. Have a great trip!!

A couple of things.

You should arrive at the Santiago Airport with US dollars to pay the airport fee which is $100.00 per person. You either have to pay this in US Dollars or with a credit card. While they do accept a credit card at one of the counters you never know if there will be issues with the credit card machine so I would bring US Dollars instead. They need to be good quality bills, no tears, etc.

For the taxi cab you should have local Chilean currency rather than US dollars.

Keith

To Keith1010: Can you provide some more details about cabs at the Santiago airport please.

Would it be best to pre-arrange a cab, through our hotel in Santiago, or can we just get one at the airport?

Using either method, do the drivers use a meter or is it a fixed price from the airport to the hotel (we're staying in the Providencia area)?

Do you know anything about the TripsVIP vans?

thanks,

john

John, while we used cabs in downtown Santiago our transportation was part of the hotel package that we had arranged through the cruise line so I'm sorry I can't help you on availability of cabs at the airport. Hopefully, someone else can. Regardless, you might want to ask the concierge in the Hotel how much a private car would be from the airport to the hotel and you could also ask them how much a cab would run.

Unfortunately, I'm not famiiar with TripsVIP Vans.

Keith

Archived