Anyone have their traveling companion cancel when final payment is due????

linda8892

I booked the March 14, 2007 sailing on the Carnival Freedom back in August and now that the final payment is due my cabin mate has decided that she cannot afford it??? I have paid an $1168 deposit on this 16 day trip which includes airfare from Orlando FL, a pre and post cruise night in Rome and the 12 day cruise in a category 4D. I have been trying to find a replacement, but so far no luck. I do have travel insurance, but since she has no medical condition preventing her from traveling the insurance company will not pick up the single supplement for me to travel alone in the cabin. Any suggestions or past experiences???

Thank you!

Linda

I booked the March 14, 2007 sailing on the Carnival Freedom back in August and now that the final payment is due my cabin mate has decided that she cannot afford it??? I have paid an $1168 deposit on this 16 day trip which includes airfare from Orlando FL, a pre and post cruise night in Rome and the 12 day cruise in a category 4D. I have been trying to find a replacement, but so far no luck. I do have travel insurance, but since she has no medical condition preventing her from traveling the insurance company will not pick up the single supplement for me to travel alone in the cabin. Any suggestions or past experiences???

Thank you!

Linda

No, but I had a travel companion cancel a week before the cruise... she lost her money, and I went alone...

I hope you can find a replacement... It would be a shame not to be able to go on that trip! How much more is it going to be for you to go single?? Can you switch to a 1A?

No, but I had a travel companion cancel a week before the cruise... she lost her money, and I went alone...

I hope you can find a replacement... It would be a shame not to be able to go on that trip! How much more is it going to be for you to go single?? Can you switch to a 1A?

The cheapest available cabin at the time of booking from this agency was a 4D. The single supplement is another $1800 on top of the $1200 that I still owe as a final payment. So far she has not advised the travel agency that she is cancelling so the said since she has a signed contract they should be charging her credit card for the final payment amount. They said that if she tries to dispute it with her credit card company she will not win due to the signed contract. If that happens that she is paid in full I can sail alone. My only concern is if I go ahead and make my final payment and somehow she talks the agency out of her final payment I would be stuck for the supplment amount which I definitely cannot afford. I am going out on a limb by booking this vacation anyhow...I guess I will be paying it off for a couple of yrs if I get to go. It is not just the cost of the cruise, but the excursions for a long cruise, gratuities, meals in Rome, drinks...etc..but you only live once...

I guess there is always Judge Judy to resolve a dispute like this!!!!

The cheapest available cabin at the time of booking from this agency was a 4D. The single supplement is another $1800 on top of the $1200 that I still owe as a final payment. So far she has not advised the travel agency that she is cancelling so the said since she has a signed contract they should be charging her credit card for the final payment amount. They said that if she tries to dispute it with her credit card company she will not win due to the signed contract. If that happens that she is paid in full I can sail alone. My only concern is if I go ahead and make my final payment and somehow she talks the agency out of her final payment I would be stuck for the supplment amount which I definitely cannot afford. I am going out on a limb by booking this vacation anyhow...I guess I will be paying it off for a couple of yrs if I get to go. It is not just the cost of the cruise, but the excursions for a long cruise, gratuities, meals in Rome, drinks...etc..but you only live once...

YIKES!! That would be $4168 for a single, NO WAY!!! I don't blame you!! I would try really hard to find someone else, but with it being a 12 day cruise, that is going to be tough!!! Good luck!!!

how big of a gambler are you? you could cancel before final payment and hope a 1a becomes available. you should be able to do this with no penalty from carnival. your TA may charge something.

for my recently completed cruise on liberty i got a 1a gty (ended up in a 4e) for 1800, including all taxes and fees and single supplement, so 4100 seems outrageous to me. i just checked my ta's website and a 6e for your date is going for around 3200. no sense in paying 4100 for an inside.

how big of a gambler are you? you could cancel before final payment and hope a 1a becomes available. you should be able to do this with no penalty from carnival. your TA may charge something.

for my recently completed cruise on liberty i got a 1a gty (ended up in a 4e) for 1800, including all taxes and fees and single supplement, so 4100 seems outrageous to me. i just checked my ta's website and a 6e for your date is going for around 3200. no sense in paying 4100 for an inside.

I agree, that is alot! But, I think that includes air and 2 nights hotel... Still high!!!

The price for the 4D category, airfare, 2 nights hotel, transfers from the airport to the hotel, to the ship, trip insurance...etc etc was $2375.00 from Orlando FL based on double occupany which I do not think is a bad price, but the single occupancy supplement would bring it to $4175.00 all because she decided that she does not have the money to travel....I do not want to cancel this reservation as I booked to fly out as a group and arrive at the hotel as a group etc...

Yes, it is a group deal and it will still cost me $1168 if I do not travel and cancel right now!!! That is the problem...I am between a rock and a hard spot. Do I take a gamble that the agency will charge her credit card for the remaining balance and she will not win a charge back situation from her credit card company she the agency has a signed contract from her? Then I could travel as a single for my original price of $2375.00 . It would not be such a big deal if it were just a 7 day cruise where I had put down a $200 deposit.

as much as it stinks for you, I would be willing to bet she wins the chargeback scenario. I have NEVER lost any dispute with a charge card. She could very easily say she told the TA she was cancelling and she didn't process the paperwork. Is this a friend or just a traveling companion? Some friend...

Yep, it happened to me last year. My roommate decided a couple of days before final payment was due, that she could not afford it. I was so angry with her. she did'nt even have the decency to call me, I just so happened to call her to chit chat and talk about how excited it would be to go. In any event I ended up rooming with 2 other women in our group, they were nice enough to let me share their cabin with them. So it all worked out in the end. I wish you all the luck with your situation.

as much as it stinks for you, I would be willing to bet she wins the chargeback scenario. I have NEVER lost any dispute with a charge card. She could very easily say she told the TA she was cancelling and she didn't process the paperwork. Is this a friend or just a traveling companion? Some friend...

She became a "friend" through her sister who lives here in FL and who is also going on this same cruise and was the one that asked if I wanted to go and room with her sister to begin with. She is booked in another cabin with another female who does not want to add a third person to their room. I could never do such a thing to a so called "friend"

Yes, it is a group deal and it will still cost me $1168 if I do not travel and cancel right now!!! That is the problem...I am between a rock and a hard spot. Do I take a gamble that the agency will charge her credit card for the remaining balance and she will not win a charge back situation from her credit card company she the agency has a signed contract from her? Then I could travel as a single for my original price of $2375.00 . It would not be such a big deal if it were just a 7 day cruise where I had put down a $200 deposit.

how well do you know her? is she a friend? if you know her well enough and feel comfortable w/ this, tell her how bad of a position she has placed you in. tell her that b/c of her decision you now stand to lose in excess of $1,000, then beg her to reconsider her options. if she's credit worthy, she shld go forward w/ the trip and in the interim, apply for a new credit card (CitiBank Diamond Preferred Rewards has a promo going on, as i am sure do many others) with a 6 or 12 month no interest deal on balance transfers. she can transfer the balance once the new card is rec'd, and then pay her trip off w/ no interest over the cost of a half of a year or perhaps even a full year. and, this trip is an amazing one. the kind you don't get to take often -- if ever. what an incredible experience it'll be. hope she can work something out and still go. good luck.

IF your friend waits til after the final payment to cancel she will only lose the deposit-- not the whole amount.

When exactly is your payment due? Did you sign a waiver that the agency can take out the amount without approval?

If the agency is a good one-- you have to cancel in writing not just a phone call. (thats for everyones protection)

IF your friend waits til after the final payment to cancel she will only lose the deposit-- not the whole amount.

When exactly is your payment due? Did you sign a waiver that the agency can take out the amount without approval?

If the agency is a good one-- you have to cancel in writing not just a phone call. (thats for everyones protection)

The final payment was due on 12/12, but they have not charged the credit card yet. I just located their cancellation policy and it states 90-61 days 50% of the total trip (not including the insurance which is non refundable). So basically my trip cost without the insurance is $2207, so 50% would be 1103.50...so if I want another 30 days and hope that I can find someone to travel I would lose an additional $103.50 beyond the $1000 that I have already paid.

We both signed a contract with the agency authorizing a credit card number for deposits and final payments.

if this is a trip you really want to take-- I suggest you call and make that final payment.

I always thought they needed your permission to take out that payment.

Im surprisedyou didnt get a call from the agent stating its due.. You stand to lose that cabin if it gets cancelled because of non payment.

if this is a trip you really want to take-- I suggest you call and make that final payment.

I always thought they needed your permission to take out that payment.

Im surprisedyou didnt get a call from the agent stating its due.. You stand to lose that cabin if it gets cancelled because of non payment.

The contract states "this signed form will allow LEGENDARY JOURNEYS to charge your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover ONLY for any charges related to the travel reservation referenced above. These charges may include your trip deposit anf final payment"

My understanding from the agency is that they just go ahead and charge the card for the final payment without contacting the client as the final payment date was indicated on their invoice when the deposit was applied.

She became a "friend" through her sister who lives here in FL and who is also going on this same cruise and was the one that asked if I wanted to go and room with her sister to begin with. She is booked in another cabin with another female who does not want to add a third person to their room."

Not to start anything. But it seems like you have a bunch of selfish travel mates going with you. If I was in the other cabin and a friend or a friend of a friend was going to get shafted. No way would I say "no 3rd person in my cabin" that's just plain selfish. This maybe just the tip of the iceberg of what the cruise is going to be.

Wouldn't Take A Chance On Them Charging Her Card Find Another Person To Go With You, You Are Thinking That They Are Gonna Charge Her Card. What If She Already Canceled Her Card Or Reported It Stolen And Recieved A New Card Already. S##tty People Do Things Like That.

Your TA needs a good lawyer. Since they have been notified that she is going to cancel if they charge her CC without new authority they are going to lose.

Your only options are to find a new travel mate or pay the single supplement.

Not to start anything. But it seems like you have a bunch of selfish travel mates going with you. If I was in the other cabin and a friend or a friend of a friend was going to get shafted. No way would I say "no 3rd person in my cabin" that's just plain selfish. This maybe just the tip of the iceberg of what the cruise is going to be.

I couldn't agree more. If it happened to my friend in the other cabin I would certainly ask if she would like to join my cabin so that she at least would have the opportunity to sail and not lose $$$, but apparently the woman that she is sailing with (who I have never met) does not want to have triple occupancy as she did that once before and did not enjoy the cruise. Maybe I can be lucky enough to win the lottery in the next few weeks and money will be no object.

the 2375 is an excellent price, then. is that a group deal? bad situation. i didn't have 4100 in my 28 night b2b, including air and 3 nights in rome.

i know you don't want to cancel, but can you still without penalties from the TA?

Zaandam_2, This is totally off topic but I want to tell you thank you for sticking around and helping others on the Carnival message boards after your experience on your Liberty cruise. Most people would have posted their review and maybe a few responses after and moved on but you've generously stayed and have contributed much to this board.

And Linda8892, I'm sorry to read about the situation your roommate is causing. Hopefully you'll be able to find another friend and go on this cruise for your original price.

Ms B

Archived