Mariner 1688- why is it so great?

kayguz

My friends booked an interior quad cabin, got the confirmation number, etc... They called later to see about upgrading to balcony and found out their reservation had been cancelled. Then there were no quad balconies available. I told them to just wait (it's a May27th sailing) and that more will come up. Well this morning, a few popped up including 1688- it looked interesting to us. The CSR said it was one of the best cabins on the ship and I see mention on the boards of that- but no explanation as to why. I told them from the sounds of it they scored-- and we can't wait to see it. The only bad thing is we're in two JS on deck 9 so we're not on the same deck.

Thanks for any insight!

Kay

It is a "secret" cabin. Meaning different, get it if you can! The width inside the cabin is wider. Great for a family, as it has a full size sofa bed. The balcony is also wider and longer. I was next door and my agent/cruise companion was in 1688 with her two young children.

You are only one deck down on deck 9.

Bon Voyage

kay

We had the cabin on Mariner. It is definitely larger than a regular D1 cabin, and the balcony is larger. However, we had some issues with the cabin, and although most people love it, we would not book it again. There is a pole at the end of the bed, which can interfere with TV viewing. The balcony is quite a bit larger than a normal D1, but there is a pole which comes down from overhead at an angle, and you have to be careful if you are sitting down, so that you don't hit your head on the pole when you get up. A lot of the balcony is in shade, which we liked. It is also a very long walk from the cabin to the elevators, which may or may not be a problem for you. The extra space in the cabin is great, the larger balcony is nice, but some of the quirks of the room make it not one of our favorite cabins. I'm sure most folks will disagree, but it's JMHO.

i688 has a twin 1388, on the other side of the ship. They are extra roomy ans the balconies are to die for. We had 1388 on our last Mariner cruise in November 2005 and were lucky enough to get it again for next December.

1388 is also set back a little by itself so you don't get any corridor traffic noise.

Bob

kay

We had the cabin on Mariner. It is definitely larger than a regular D1 cabin, and the balcony is larger. However, we had some issues with the cabin, and although most people love it, we would not book it again. There is a pole at the end of the bed, which can interfere with TV viewing. The balcony is quite a bit larger than a normal D1, but there is a pole which comes down from overhead at an angle, and you have to be careful if you are sitting down, so that you don't hit your head on the pole when you get up. A lot of the balcony is in shade, which we liked. It is also a very long walk from the cabin to the elevators, which may or may not be a problem for you. The extra space in the cabin is great, the larger balcony is nice, but some of the quirks of the room make it not one of our favorite cabins. I'm sure most folks will disagree, but it's JMHO.

We were in 1388 for a B2B on the Navigator. JMHO, I totally agree with you. Too many obstacles to navigate around. Otherwise, the size, privacy, and exercise you get walking to and from were not an issue with us at all. Like burning off the calories!

Will splurge for a JS next time. Looking to enjoy a bathtub and 1 xtra cruise credit.

• 3 weeks later...

We had 1688 on our sept. cruise and would book it in a second again. I think it spoiled us. You get the size of a JR. suite for the price of a D1. It was myself and my husband, 10 year old step son and 10 year old nephew. We had plenty of room even when the full size sofa couch was open. The pool at the end of the bed didn't bother us at all. In fact our boys decided to swing around it all the time. We had 2 lounge chairs and 2 regular chairs on our belcony. and all of them were in the sun most of the time. Plus all the shaded room still. I'd say book this if you can I'm already planning a Sept 08 cruise and want to book the day it opens so we can be sure to book this stateroom. I like you read lots of reviews about this cabin and 2 weeks before we left I was it was open so I called and switched we got very lucky. Well good luck hope this helps.

Archived