Cruise Price Reduction Question

Tyrkitty

I noticed a senior discount had been added to a cruise I was booked on for next year. Thanks to all the great advice on these boards I called RCL and they did the adjustment. When speaking with the rep I asked if anything else would be changed since I didn't want to lose my cabin. When I got my confirmation the airfare was higher. I called right back and was passed to the resolution department - the rep was able to find my original flight code and changed the air back to the original price. A friend on the same trip booked through a TA. I told her about the senior discount and she had the TA make the change. Her air also went up and when the TA called back she was told that you have to accept the current air fare when you make a price adjustment. I know many of you have received price adjustments - what has your experience been as to it changing the original air quote. I know you can get different answers from different RCL reps and feel my friend's TA should try again.

Cruise line airfare connected to cruise fare creates all sorts of complications, especially if you are after final payment. Frequently, if there is a price drop of any kind, you will be unable to use it because your air is linked. The easiest way to take advantage of price drops, should they occur...is to be booked directly with RCCL, and to have your own air booked. JMO. A good TA would also book separate air for your friend. Having air seperate from the cruise line is better, in most cases, and only when combined with travel insurance..

Love your cat avatar, he looks like our former kitty.

That was interesting information. I searched and didn't find any other information about price reductions when air is linked by RCL. I hope others check this out when seeing a price reduction. If the air was up more than the price reduction you could end up with an over all price increase. Would be interested if any others have encountered this problem. I have noticed that most on these boards book their own air as they are frequent travelors and have points with airlines. That was not the case with us and the airfare we received from RCL seemed good. Not really expecting another price reduction anyway as I booked this cruise on the day it opened. The only difference was the addition now of a senior discount. Hope our friends TA will be able to find an RCL rep willing to change their air back to the original price. I know they try to keep happy customers and I believe this TA has a group booking on our cruise.

pbhunt: You must have had a handsome kitty!

On our first 2 cruises we booked airfare with the cruise line. Since then I always have booked it on our own and gotten much better rates than what I could have through the cruise lines. Also, by booking it myself I have been able to book flight times that were more convenient for us.

I'd recommend that next time make a comparison between what prices you can get on your own and what the cruise line is charging.

My son and his GF are returning from a cruise today which they booked thru RCI last Feb (along with the airfare). They had made numerous changes since then including a different itinerary when the airfare to San Juan was offered at a lower rate than to Miami. Even after final pymt they were able to switch from an inside to an oceanview cabin when the price decreased. They were able to keep their original airfare even though it had gone up substantially.

Thanks for all the information. My friend is following this thread and her TA is working very hard to correct the problem. We booked almost 1 1/2 years out for this trip so airlines could only quote current year prices - based on that RCLs air looked fine. I know we can cancel the air with RCL at any time up to final payment so added it in planning to check as trip came closer. It is useful to know I'm not the only one able to maintain my original airfare and receive the discount. It looks like an internal problem if the two things are linked in their database, and I was just fortunate to reach someone at RCL who knew how to handle it. So far I have been very pleased with my dealings with RCL and not having a TA.

That part I wasn't clear on, if it is before final payment and you didn't get an airfare special, then you are absolutely correct, you and your friend should both be eligible for the discount. :)

The reason I mentioned linking, on a recent cruise, RCCL offered highly discounted balcony guarantees about 2 months before sailing. Those that had booked cruise line air were unable to take advantage of the discount without losing or paying additional fees for their airfare, it was after final payment.

Archived