Caution - Jewel of the Seas inconsistent with time zone changes

gkrebs

Just a cautionary note. On the previous 6 day Western cruise before our sailing on 12/10, the captain had changed the ships time to local time for Cozumel and Costa Maya, and then went back to Eastern time prior to arrival in Grand Caymen. On our sailing, the ship did not change back to Eastern time until after leaving Grand Caymen. This is to let those on the 6 day sailings that the time changes are not consistent from one sailing to the next. This issue was raised with both the Captain and the Cruise Director. The Captains explanation was that this ship changed time zones due to its trans atlantic sailings and Baltic cruise. Load oh baloney in my opinion. He was told that he is the only RCI ship in the Caribbean that is doing it and causing problems for repeaters who book there own excursions. (I should have piped up and said, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do.) The fact that he changed times was not the issue, the fact that he is not consistent between sailings is the problem. I see no roll call for the sailing on 12/24 so I will be interested to find out what happens on that sailing or the one after that.

causing problems for repeaters who book there own excursions.

We were on that week you mentioned and had booked our own excursions but had no problems since the companies we booked with said in their documents/emails what time the tour would start "local time". I would imagine on days where there are alot of ships coming in at different times that the tour operators cannot/will not wait for delayed passengers on one ship and hold up the rest of the excursion for others already there.

On our flight back home we were seated with a family that had been on a Carnival ship and said that they ended up missing dinner, show, etc. because of the time changes implemented on their ship and they all forgot to change on their watches. So I guess RCI isn't the only ship at sea that does some messing with the clocks.

I agree that there needs to be some consistency so everyone will know what time it is. (After a couple foo-foo drinks I'm confused enough!!)

There are clocks in all of the elevator/stairway halls. Before you leave the ship, check the ship's clock and make sure YOUR watch is set to ship's time. It has saved us from having to worry about which zone we're in--we are always set to ship's time. Don't want to miss the boat!

There are clocks in all of the elevator/stairway halls. Before you leave the ship, check the ship's clock and make sure YOUR watch is set to ship's time. It has saved us from having to worry about which zone we're in--we are always set to ship's time. Don't want to miss the boat!
That gets you back to the ship on time, but it doesn't get you to independently booked excursions at the right time when there's a difference between local time and ship time.

On the 12/02 sailing we moved our clocks ahead one hour on the first night and then changed them back on the night of day six. The last two years on the Navigator we never changed our clocks the entire week and we were also on the eastern itinerary. I knew from previous posts on here that we were going to have to change our time. Really didn't see the need but I guess this Captain has something for changing the time.

Archived