New Passport Rules For 2007

littlerick

:eek: :eek: I just heard on the news tonight that I will need a passport to go to Mexico 1/23/2007. When I booked my 1/20/2007 cruise from Houston to eastern Mexico the day before she said no need to worry about passports the old rules were extended. What is the true story? Will I need one? If I do I will have to cancel the cruise as there isn't time to get one.

Thanks

The new rules are being implemented in two phases.

Beginning January 23, 2007, aLL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda will be required to present a valid passport.

As early as January 1, 2008, aLL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda by land or sea (including ferries), may be required to present a valid passport or other documents as determined by the Department of Homeland Security. The exact timing on this could still change.

Keith

Re processing time, go to this URL. See the NOTE at the bottom of that page.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html

NOTE:

• Passport Agencies assist customers with urgent travel needs (generally if you are traveling within 2 weeks) and require proof of departure.
  • Most Passport Agencies are open by appointment only and require proof of your travel date or need for foreign visas. See List of Regional Passport Agencies .

littlerick, I just want to add to my post. As long as you cruise begins and ends in the United States you won't need a passport for your January, 2007 cruise as I mentioned in my earlier post. But, if for whatever reason you were in Mexico on the cruise and had to fly back to the USA then you would need a passport to get into the USA.

Keith

littlerick, I just want to add to my post. As long as you cruise begins and ends in the United States you won't need a passport for your January, 2007 cruise as I mentioned in my earlier post. But, if for whatever reason you were in Mexico on the cruise and had to fly back to the USA then you would need a passport to get into the USA.

Keith

I am confused. I have been told many things re: passports. My DH does NOT have a passport, just birth certificate. We are taking a cruise in Feb. We were told he only needs his b.c. not a passport (flying from idaho to houston). Is this correct?

I am confused. I have been told many things re: passports. My DH does NOT have a passport, just birth certificate. We are taking a cruise in Feb. We were told he only needs his b.c. not a passport (flying from idaho to houston). Is this correct?

The flying related to if there was an emergency and rather than going back on the cruise ship you had to fly back from say the Caribbean or Mexico. You won't be able to do that without a passport.

You can fly within the United States without a passport.

Keith

Archived