Hellllllllllllp...Can we get to Miami Convention Center by 6pm?

cold in MN

Here's our dilemma:

We are flying into Miami Sat, 1/27 to do the Miami Marathon before our cruise on Sun, 1/28. We need to get to the Miami Convention Center to pick up our race packets BY 6pm on Sat!

Our flight isn't slated to arrive into Miami until 4:40pm. What would be the quickest way to get to the convention center? Is it realistic to even think about making this deadline!

We are currently looking at 2 options:

1. Taxi - flag a taxi as soon as we get our luggage and hi-tail it the convention center, have him wait while we get our race packets, then take us to our hotel (Courtyard Marriott Downtown). The only problem with this is we'd have to go in one at a time as I'm not sure I want to leave the taxi driver with all our luggage. Also, any idea on what total cost of this might be (let's assume about 1/2 hour total wait time for taxi)?

2. Rent a car - rent a car thru Avis, drive to the convention center, pick up our stuff, drive to our hotel, then drop off rental car at Avis downtown location before boarding cruise. This would be our preferred method as this would maybe leave us some time to browse the expo if we get there early enough. However, our concern with this is how long would it take to get our luggage, get to the rental car place, get the car, then drive in an unfamiliar city to the convention center.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or suggestions to make this work would be sooooo appreciated!

THANKS! Cold in Mn

Here is what I would do :

First, pack light so you don't have too many bags

Grab a cab at the airport (they should know the way and any shortcuts, if any) let the cab driver go but take your luggage and phone # of cab company.

Get your race packet, etc (might be a line and cab driver will have to wait too long)

Go outside-get a cab , if any or call the # you have of the cab co.

Go to hotel -

IMO- I would cab wherever and not get a rental at all. If you want one get it after the race but then you have the return problem before the cruise.

Have fun and 'may the wind be at your back', MaryAnn

Here's our dilemma:

We are flying into Miami Sat, 1/27 to do the Miami Marathon before our cruise on Sun, 1/28. We need to get to the Miami Convention Center to pick up our race packets BY 6pm on Sat!

Our flight isn't slated to arrive into Miami until 4:40pm. What would be the quickest way to get to the convention center? Is it realistic to even think about making this deadline!

We are currently looking at 2 options:

1. Taxi - flag a taxi as soon as we get our luggage and hi-tail it the convention center, have him wait while we get our race packets, then take us to our hotel (Courtyard Marriott Downtown). The only problem with this is we'd have to go in one at a time as I'm not sure I want to leave the taxi driver with all our luggage. Also, any idea on what total cost of this might be (let's assume about 1/2 hour total wait time for taxi)?

2. Rent a car - rent a car thru Avis, drive to the convention center, pick up our stuff, drive to our hotel, then drop off rental car at Avis downtown location before boarding cruise. This would be our preferred method as this would maybe leave us some time to browse the expo if we get there early enough. However, our concern with this is how long would it take to get our luggage, get to the rental car place, get the car, then drive in an unfamiliar city to the convention center.

Anyone out there with any thoughts or suggestions to make this work would be sooooo appreciated!

THANKS! Cold in Mn

Realistically - I think you are going to be cutting it VERY close if not making it at all. Lets say you have no delays and you land at exactly 4:40PM....you still need to pick up all of your luggage...since I am assuming you are going on a cruise you are going to need lots of clothes. By the time you walk to your luggage carousel and wait for your luggage and retrieve it, it should be 5:15 PM This allows for walk time and wait time...assuming your luggage comes out quickly....then you need to go out and get a cab and be on your way by 5:30. You need to tell your cabby to step on it not minding the congestion and traffic that is perpetual around and getting out of the airport area. It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to make it to the Convention Center from the airport. All things being on your side...You will have seconds to spare.

Forget about renting a car that will only delay you even more...with taking the shuttle to the rental place, waiting in line, waitiig for your car, etc....You need every precious second you can get.

Last time I flew into MIA, it took 1.5 hours for the bags to come off the plane. Unless you don't check any bags, I don't think you could realistically get to the Convention Center on time. Can somebody pick up your registration packets for you?

concur - this is going to be AT BEST cutting it close 99 out of 100 times.

Can one of you p/up both packets? If so - one person bolts from the plane, heads straight for a cab to Conv Ctr; then a cab to the hotel (forget the waiting cab idea.....)

The other person gets the luggage and takes cab to hotel were you meet....

If you both wait for the bags I can't see you making it.

{p.s. lived in Miami for over 10 years}

also you ARE talking the Miami Conv Ctr in the Grove and not the Miami Beach Convention Ctr, right? They are different. Jump in a cab and ask to be taken the "the convention ctr" and expect to be asked....

also you ARE talking the Miami Conv Ctr in the Grove and not the Miami Beach Convention Ctr, right? They are different. Jump in a cab and ask to be taken the "the convention ctr" and expect to be asked....

The Miami Convention Center is in the Hyatt Downtown. The one in the Grove is the Coconut Grove Convention Center. The one on the beach is the Miami Beach Convention Center.

I'm getting nervous about this. Unfortunately, you must p/u your OWN packet in person and you must present an ID. No exceptions to someone else picking up your packet. First marathon I've ever had this strict a rule. Miami must be REALLLY cautious about this stuff!

It is at the Convention Center in Miami Beach. Does this make a difference?

I'm getting nervous about this. Unfortunately, you must p/u your OWN packet in person and you must present an ID. No exceptions to someone else picking up your packet. First marathon I've ever had this strict a rule. Miami must be REALLLY cautious about this stuff!

Yes...The Miami Beach Convention Center is further away....you have to cross over to Miami Beach so expect at least 30 minutes drive.....

Yes, they are dead on about this. All the marathons I've run were strict about this rule.

You may be SOL. Can you get an earlier flight? Since they expect this marathon to sell out, I doubt you'll get any help from the marathon organizers.

Your best bet is to reschedule your flight.

I was by the convention center this morning and traffic was a real mess, Alton Road was backed up all the way to the causeway (195) and traffic in town was gridlocked. I do not know what the event was but I hope your event doesn't draw the same volume of traffic as todays event did. Luckily for you your coming in on a Saturday, that should help a bit. Good Luck.

//////

Thanks for all your responses, guys. We're now exploring other options. Unfortunately, we booked our flight using airline miles and that was the earliest time we could book with what we have. I just didn't expect the expo to close that early.

I have an email sent to the registration director hoping he could help us out. All other marathons I've run, the expo usually doesn't shut down till 8 or 9pm, and they do have a way where you could arrange to have your packet picked up by someone else. Shoot, I'm starting to stress out about this! It would be a bummer to do all this training and not be able to run it. Plus we'd be out $150 we paid for registration.

On the plus side, I'll be able to eat A LOT when I get on the cruise:)

Thanks for all your responses, guys. We're now exploring other options. Unfortunately, we booked our flight using airline miles and that was the earliest time we could book with what we have. I just didn't expect the expo to close that early.

I have an email sent to the registration director hoping he could help us

Keep checking with the airlines. Typically, whatever seats don't sell, the airlines start opening up for FF miles. I always book my airline miles seats at bad times and have always been able to go back in and change my flight times.

Have you called the airlines again? I've been able to change my flights as far out as a month and as late as 36 hours.

Let us know how it is going!

BTW the first twelve miles is an awsome route! Brickell to the MacArthur Causeway, up the ocean through South Beach, the Venetian Causeway, then back down Biscayne Bay!

Yikes!! :eek: Anyone know the route so I can see what roads will closed?

MacArther Causeway will be shut down as well as Brickell and the Venetian Causeway but you should be able to get in and out of the port.

The race starts at 6AM which means by 12Noon all roads should be re-opened to traffic.

I think the people disembarking will have more of a problem getting to the airport than those embarking getting to port.

Maybe lemondrop has better information for you.

Here is a link to all of th streets that the marathon will be running through.....

http://www.ingmiamimarathon.com/Course/Marathon.cfm#TurnByTurn

You might have to wait until after the marathon finishes to make your way to the port...since they will be starting in front of the AA Arena and coming around through the beach, Grove, Brickell and back in dowtown you may not have access to the port until they finish and open up the streets again. I have a hard time getting in and out of my own condo when these events happen....:mad:

:eek: We were thinking of renting from National and returning the car to the office on Collins. We should probably revisit that idea? Any suggestions? We're staying at the Hampton Inn - Coconut Grove.

Ahhh...I remember you...you were asking about the Hampton in a few months ago....Hmmm...I think that idea is out the window. Why don't you return the car at the airport location that way you will kill time while waiting for the streets to open....

Ahhh...I remember you...you were asking about the Hampton in a few months ago....Hmmm...I think that idea is out the window. Why don't you return the car at the airport location that way you will kill time while waiting for the streets to open....

Yep. That's me. Because there are 4 of us, the original plan was to have one person drive us and the luggage to the port and then go return the car and cab it back to the port. Looks like that's not going to work. So you think our best bet is for all of us to go to the airport and then grab a taxi van from the airport to the port? I appreciate all your help.

:eek: We were thinking of renting from National and returning the car to the office on Collins. We should probably revisit that idea? Any suggestions? We're staying at the Hampton Inn - Coconut Grove.

If you are staying in the Grove, returning the car to Miami Beach would be way out of the way.

Archived