Expedition 2008 - Need advice!!

msiowa

I'm planning to do the Galapagos in 2008 and have the following questions:

1. What is the best time of year to go? My work schedule allows only for the second half of May, part of June, all of July, the 1st half of August and Christmas break. What do you suggest?

2. What are the accommodations like? Is there special location to request?

3. When will they open reservations?

4. Pre or post tours??

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated!

Joanie

1. What is the best time of year to go? My work schedule allows only for the second half of May, part of June, all of July, the 1st half of August and Christmas break. What do you suggest?

4. Pre or post tours??

Joanie

I'd suggest most of your questions and more will be answered if you read the major thread "xpedition -anyone recently back?" It's always close on this board. You should also check out the review of the Xpedition via the home page on cruise critic. Short answers-Almost anytime is fine. I went in July last year and am returning this week-both are good times for different reasons, The rainy season is probably the worst time.

All the accommodations are good-you don't need a veranda or suite. Reservation openings vary -keep checking Celebrity site. Pre and post tours are available. Just do it -it's the best.

We were there last month and as DrFun mentions.... almost any time is a good time to go. Based on what I've read and from talking to the guides, of the dates you mention, May is probably a good choice for you. Here's a link to weather info: http://www.galapagosislands.com/html/galapagos_climate.html

The cabins on the ship are beautiful - we didn't choose a balcony for this trip (expensive & you don't spend much time in your cabin on this cruise.) We were in 301 which was a great location for not feeling movement. If you don't choose a balcony, try for mid ship on either deck 3 or 4.

Not sure, but we booked 10 months out and there was a good choice of cabins available.

4. Pre or post tours??
Celebrity has a nice day tour of Quito on the Saturday prior to the day that you head to Baltra. We stayed for several extra days afterwards and hired a driver from the Marriott to do day trips to Ottavalo and Bellavista Cloud Forest. We also explored on our own in Quito and enjoyed the pool at the Marriott (it's like being at a Caribbean resort it's so beautiful!)

I would read through the long running thread that is currently active - lots of great advice!

If you can do the 11 day trip or longer, it's nice not to have to head back home on the morning following your return from the Galapagos.

Some people combined their trip with an 3 or 4 day Amazon lodge trip which sounded very interesting.

Celebrity does a great job with this trip .... enjoy!!

I'd second the Bellavista Cloud Forest as a pre / post ... we're already thinking of doing a second round on this vacation, and spending a couple of days up there next time :) .. Cotopaxi was a nice trip too, the roads are a bit rough just be ready for a very bouncy ride.

We did this cruise in Oct (a couple of years ago) which is a slow (low priced) month. Since the Galapagos are on the equator, there is very little climatic change....so season really isn't a factor.

The only cabins I would avoid are those in the very front of the lowest level (XO ocean view)...On this size ship, the anchor chain can be distressingly loud if you are right on top of it. The ship anchors late at night and this can(will) wake you. The better cabins are towards the middle of this ship (actually, it's a motor yacht). The deluxe ocean view and Premium ocean view staterooms are identical...just on different decks...and there is no value I could find even after being on board for suggesting anyone pay more to be in an XP cabin. We were in 302 and never heard the anchor or any other noises...it was wonderful. Balcony's, of course, are a matter of personal choice, but with only 96 people on board (max), you are always going to be able to find a quiet place outside, if you want. You will find that you actually spend very little time in your stateroom. This trip is about seeing wildlife and meeting people who are well travelled, well educated and who have interesting lives and careers.

We were only going to book the cruise, but arranging the flights and such got complicated so we did the Celebrity Quito package. One thing to remember is that you must arrive in Baltra on the right flight or you will not get on the cruise...they meet one flight and that's it. Quito is not the most interesting city, but it's worth booking the whole deal thru Celebrity to save the hassle.

You will love this trip....I have not met anyone who hasn't raved about the galapagos and Celebrity allows you to "rough it" during the day and then return to have a clean towel, a cool tropical drink handed to you as you get off the zodiac, a very nice dinner....I'm ready to go back...

We were on 3rd deck near center of ship also and loved the location. Very convenient, quiet, actually we thought the best location. There are several deck areas on the ship that were empty much of the time. Good reading and relaxing areas for those who want some quiet time. Would love to do it again!!

We were in cabin 306 thanks to a recommendation from another CC-er. We liked it very much and would recommend it to others. Dh liked that it was on the same deck as the dining rm, but on the Xpedition, nothing's very far away. We did hear the anchor running out, but it wasn't loud enough to be annoying.

We asked the beds to be put together, and they were but in the European fashion--still made up as singles. (For once I was immune from dh's covers stealing.) We left them that say b/c it gave us more floor space in the sitting area. We heard that cabins on deck 5 were made up as full-sz.

M/R

Oh yeah please dont take those XO cabins .. lol we want to go again and they seem to go first since the price is usually best and the anchor really isn't all that bad .. besides being low by the anchor its pretty much the most stable part of the ship when its at anchor and the ship is rocking pretty much all the time :) and since we dont usually lift off until late, the anchor holds the front and the middle is moving more than the front most of the time unlike your usual vessle -- so heck nobody book those please we want an open choice for our second round.

I see Celebrity offers a 13 day vacation with post trip to Machu Picchu. The price seems extraordinarely high. Has anyone done this trip? We are interested in doing this trip in early May 2008 with our 20 and 18 year old girls. My feeling is that if we are travelling this far I want to see Machu Picchu as well! Not really keen on spending time in Quito.

Would it really be that difficult to organize flight to and from Lima to Guayaquil or Quito to Baltra? Will Celebrity tell me what flight I must take into Baltra to connect with ship? I look forward to all you experts opinions,

Gail

Msiowa[Joanie]-----We did the Aug 2003 Baltic on the Constellation with you and shared the Red October St. Peterburg tour.

We did the Celebrity Epedition to the Galapagos in Aug 2005. and all I can say this is truly a chance of a lifetime and I would do it as soon as possible.This is something that should not be missed.Celebrity really did themselves proud on this one. In 30 years of cruising/touring it was one of our best.

FYI---Susie is taking it this month

Also if you have specific questions let me know.If you want I can burn a CD of about 1000 pictures and sent it to you reg mail.

Alway, do it.You won't regret it

George and Sara

gdayhoff@austin.rr.com

We were in cabin 318, the second cabin from the front on the lower deck and found it was just fine. The dreaded anchor chain did not wake us as it seemed to only be raised and lowered while we were awake. We had plenty of room and the cabin is so well laid out there's space for everything. If price is an object, don't hesitate to take this cabin.

Gail - I'm pretty sure Ecquador requires a yellow fever shot if you're arriving from Peru (they did in 2004 when I did this) so you might want to consider a post-cruise visit to Machu Picchu unless you all have your shots. I looked at the X trip, and it looks a lot like the one I did. It's a lot of travel and effort only to spend about six hours up on the pueblo. It appears that it takes the morning train down to Agua Calientes from Cusco and then goes back in the afternoon/evening?

If it were me, I would try to find a land package on my own with OAT or one of those outfits that might offer a better trip, i.e. one that stays up at Machu Picchu at The Sanctuary or even in Agua Calientes. Check to see if anyone will let you book out of Guayaquil since the airplane stops there on the way back to Quito from Baltra and you can hop off. Either way, you're going to have to spend two nights in Cusco because of the airline schedules. I did notice X uses The Montesario Hotel there, which is the one that will pump oxygen into your room for an extra fee if you need it.

At any rate, if you manage to work it out, be sure to post the details back here as I know a lot of people are interested in how to do it.

• 1 month later...
One thing to remember is that you must arrive in Baltra on the right flight or you will not get on the cruise...they meet one flight and that's it.

:eek:

Usually I book my own air everywhere, but would it be best to let celebrity do it so I'm on the right flight? :)

• 1 month later...

Archived