Process-from leaving taxi to on ship

Laurie's Friend

Can anyone explain the process from the time you get out of your taxi to the time that you are actually checked into your room and are on board?

Just follow the signs, and the directions of those standing there. If you don't know what to do, ask! Once you get that cruise card, stop at the first bar, and get that drink.:D

Can anyone explain the process from the time you get out of your taxi to the time that you are actually checked into your room and are on board? What would you advise as to process' date=' following that, prior to the drink in hand? Thanks in advance.:)[/quote']

Hope I remember everything (order as I remember for most cruise lines we have sailed).

(Others can add or correct)

1. Depart taxi (pay driver)

2. Porter gets bags (tip porter)

3. Proceed into terminal (follow signs)

4 Get and sign form you are healthy (no sickness within last 48 hrs)

5. Directed to line to process in.

6. Waiting in line until directed to embarkation signin desk

7. At desk, provide tickets, credit card. Sign credit card slip, get cruise card.

8. Some cruise lines have embarkation by number (get number) proceed to waiting area until number is called. If priority boarding (ie Princess Platitum or Elite, proceed to boarding)

9. Go through security check / screening. Pass through metal detector and baggage xray.

10 Proceed toward gangway. Get picture taken prior to boarding

11. Proceed down gangway onto ship. Usually met and either taken to or directed to your cabin.

12. Drop off handcarry, meet your steward.

13. Head to buffet or bar depending on immediate need. ;)

Hope I remember everything (order as I remember for most cruise lines we have sailed).

(Others can add or correct)

1. Depart taxi (pay driver)

2. Porter gets bags (tip porter)

3. Proceed into terminal (follow signs)

4 Get and sign form you are healthy (no sickness within last 48 hrs)

5. Directed to line to process in.

6. Waiting in line until directed to embarkation signin desk

7. At desk, provide tickets, credit card. Sign credit card slip, get cruise card.

8. Some cruise lines have embarkation by number (get number) proceed to waiting area until number is called. If priority boarding (ie Princess Platitum or Elite, proceed to boarding)

9. Go through security check / screening. Pass through metal detector and baggage xray.

10 Proceed toward gangway. Get picture taken prior to boarding

11. Proceed down gangway onto ship. Usually met and either taken to or directed to your cabin.

12. Drop off handcarry, meet your steward.

13. Head to buffet or bar depending on immediate need. ;)

I also really appreciate the reply...we are going on our first cruise and I had the exact same question! I had an idea it was a simple process but I was curious as to the steps too....I didn't realize they asked you about your health - although it makes perfect sense!

THANKS!

Actually #10, getting your picture taken happens twice. Before you board the ship the ship's photographer will take a picture of you and your family in front of a cheesey backdrop and they will try to sell to you the photo on board for $10. Think about what you will look like after getting up at 4 Am, flying to the port, lugging around your luggage, waiting in line, etc!! It will be a great picture. The 2nd picture they will take is when you board. Everytime you board or leave the ship, you must swipe your cruise card. The 1st time you board the device takes your picture and each time after that the machine displays your picture for the security people.

Hey chasetf: Just curious - did you like the Mississippi Queen cruise? Do you have a pics or info on it?

We really enjoyed it. I took over 2' date='000 pictures but have not posted them. We did the NO (pre Katrina) RT going as far north as Vicksburg. It is different than ocean cruising..... smooth (no rough seas). The dining is not as good as the cruise ships, rooms are smaller, and it costs more. We got a deal out of the Sunday travel section, so it was equivalent to what we pay for a Caribbean cruise for a like cabin.

The "ports" sometimes are just tying up along the river bank, hiking over the levee and visiting a Civil War era mansion on the other side. We really enjoyed sitting in the forward rocking chairs at night as we wandered up / down river. They have great Riverlorians that provide a wealth of information about the river and surrounding area.

Here is site with lots of info and pictures.

http://www.steamboats.org/

You can find more CC info on this board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=102

The lines home page

http://www.majesticamericaline.com/

Cabbie's tip is up to you and how much the fare is. As to the porters, at least a dollar a bag. Met two pasengers whose bags had their tags riped off so no one knew whose bags they were. They finally found them at the purser's desk. Neither had tipped their porter! So tip even if there's a sign saying not to!

We were on the Sun Princess last month. They give you a number and you wait until that number is called to board - boarding was fast that way. Had a great cruise!

Archived