How Many Lobsters DO You Eat on Lobster Night?

LAFFNVEGAS

How Many Lobsters Do You Eat On Lobster Night?  

416 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Lobsters Do You Eat On Lobster Night?

• I Do Not Eat Lobster Yuck)
    • Just One, I am trying to watch my Figure.
    • 2 to 3 ( they are Small)
    • 4 to 6 ( What the heck, it's Lobster Night)
    • 7-9 (Remember they are small )
    • 10 or More (Yes I have a connection in the kitchen)

[quote name='Kate-AHF']Laffinvegas - I want you to know that I emailed this thread to my DH, who is out of town. He dosen't "do" the BB's. I got a one-line reply:

"I want to sit with Tom."

:D

(Just got a second email:
"[size=2][color=#000080]Please. I want to sit with Tom. You may not want to sit with us, I’ll see you at the dessert table or in the clinic."[/color][/size]

[size=2][color=#000080]Now I'll have to break it to him the Tom is not on our trip.)
[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Kate, you are welcome to join us:D DH always has fun with his Lobster eating on the last Formal night. Our last cruise on the Ryndam we were at a table for 8 and in the begining he was not sure he wanted to try to break his record. As the week progress we got to know our tablemates quite well and had a lot of fun getting Tom to his 10th Lobster. Our Dining Room Stewart and Assistant Waiter also had a lot of fun with this and wanted to make sure he broke his record on the Ryndam. We had told them he was one short on the Oosterdam. When Tom does this he eats nothing else. What was funn is the others at our table also had quite a few. Everyone enjoyed cheering him on.

[quote name='PRO PEOPLE MOVER']I have been wanting to say Hi to you since i saw your name, so now is a good time. We are misplaced Vegan's, so please humor me and let me trade questions with you since i know your the only ones who will get a laugh at this. Whats the secret to playing the slot's?
Take Care and enjoy your cruise
BC[/QUOTE]

;) The secret to playing the slots, actually to not play them at all. Would you believe I have not played a single machine in 12 years, nor any other type of gambling as far as that goes. I have worked in the financial lending field for almost 30 years and have seen so many ruin their credit and loose everything over those darn machines. Although for the past 10 years I have been a Special Financie Director at a car dealership helping those with bad credit get financed so I guess in a round about way I have made money from the slots:eek:

All you have to do is ask. I usually ask after I finish the first tail so I know that I really want another one and wasn't going to waste it. I don't miss dessert on a cruise because I rarely eat desserts at home and it is a real treat.

[b]LAFFNVEGAS.....[/b]

[b]It makes me curious when your DH is trying to eat as many tails as possible, does he actually eat to enjoy them? Does he taste what he is eating and enjoy it as a special treat? Or is it like the hot dog eating contests :) ? It does sound like a good time was had at your table.[/b]

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]LAFFNVEGAS.....[/b]

[b]It makes me curious when your DH is trying to eat as many tails as possible, does he actually eat to enjoy them? Does he taste what he is eating and enjoy it as a special treat? Or is it like the hot dog eating contests :) ? It does sound like a good time was had at your table.[/b][/QUOTE]

Actually since that is all he eats for dinner he savors every bite. He loves lobster he may use a litle bit of butter but basically loves them plain. He might have a plain baked potato with it. He is a real meat and plain potato kind of guy. Except he does love lobster and shrimp. It might sound like it is like a Hot Dog Eating Contest but it really is not that fast pace, but we really get great service that night from the Dining Room Staff. What has made it fun is that on all 3 of the HAL ships we have been on our Dining Stewart and his Assistant have taken great pride in helping him and have had lots of fun with us. That is why we tip them quite well at the end of the cruise because we have had good service and a lot of fun. Even with the changes in the Dining Room they always manage to give us really good service.

[b]Sounds like there is lots of fun going on. :) That is what cruising is all about. Enjoy!!! [/b]

[b]Obviously, it's all high spirits and clearly the dining staff recognizes it is something your DH looks forward to on his cruises and they want help him enjoy as much as they can. Have a good time.....life is short!!![/b]

Humares Americanus, (if I remember my biology),the American lobster has no peer. Those things without claws that besmirch the name "lobster" should have to be called something else.

Besides lobsters should be steamed. You drop them in the water when you go out to pick the corn that goes with the meal.

Here on Long Island our lobster fishing industry is almost dead and we have to buy our lobsters from New England.

[quote name='sail7seas'][b]Sounds like there is lots of fun going on. :) That is what cruising is all about. Enjoy!!! [/b]

[b]Obviously, it's all high spirits and clearly the dining staff recognizes it is something your DH looks forward to on his cruises and they want help him enjoy as much as they can. Have a good time.....life is short!!![/b][/QUOTE]

Sail what happened to your posts? I only see a box with an "x" and not the vessel.

[b]Sierrachik has been very kind to host my gif for me as I have no clue how to do it. My friend who used to host it passed away and she offered to help me. Because I visit here to many times a day, it was messing up her count of hits on her web page so I told her to go ahead and eliminate it. I tried to get it out of my profile here but I failed to do it successfully. :( I'll have to try again to get rid of the 'dreaded red 'x'!!![/b]

I didn't vote because my response is none - BUT not that lobster is yucky. I do LOVE cold water lobsters, but the warm water 'lobsters' served on HAL these days is indeed - yucky, IMHO. I figure is is one more lobster for someone else (like DH).

[quote name='mattR']Our table of 8 people eat 24 lobsters in Dec and my wife didn't have any:) The waiter finally cut us off:([/QUOTE]

Matt, on the Ryndam in November there was 32 lobster eaten at a table for 8 and one person also did not eat lobster and they kept asking if we needed more. There must of been plenty of lobster on hand that sailing and they may have been limited on yours.

I always look at the dinner menu in the morning. Surf and turf is easily exchanged for "surf and surf". Want more? Ask for it. you'll get it. If you're not up for a formal dinner seating, check out if they're serving lobster on the Lido. Get all you want there, too.

And what happens if the only thing on the menu for dinner that appeals to you is an appetizer? Well... ASK! I had a great main course of black bean and duck quesadillas...

And, quite frankly, the HAL staff will bend over backwards to make sure you get the exact meal you want... don't be afraid to ask.

LOL, I am enjoying this thread. I was on Crystal Harmony and you could at the time, order off menu. My mother wanted [size=-1]Lobster Thermador, [size=2]so we ordered it for the next night. TWO of the biggest tails you have ever seen showed up.

All in all on a 6 day cruise, my mother had lobster three nights.

In the early 80s HAL and Cunard had South African Lobster tails... BIG... Good.
[/size][b][size=2]

[/size][/b][/size]

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/member.php?u=30565"]Aussie Gal[/url]

In the early 90s I was looking to do a job in New Zealand and rented a lot of travel videos. In one video it show people stopping at a roadside lobster stand and getting a tail to eat..... Looked GREAT to me, but alass I did not get the contract. :(

[b]Jennie....[/b]

[b]Two kilograms.....Yum!! That is almost four and a half pounds, isn't it? That had to be so delicious. When they are large like that you can keep them moist during cooking. The small ones have a tendency to get dry.[/b]

Sail,

They are wonderful to eat. One lobster (crayfish) will serve up to five people. We bought 4 for Christmas and only ate 2, there were 10 of us and it was more than enough so we had one next day for lunch (Boxing Day) and we froze the other one and had it for New Year. We buy them just freshly cooked. Our daughter lives close to the sea, so we know that they have just been caught. We usually eat them cold, with mayonaise and a salad. :) :)

We also have them hot, lobster mornay or thermidor but when they are so fresh nothing beats a cold cray, to me it is the ultimate in a dining experience. Unfortunately, the tails are exported to Japan (have been for about 20 years) so the price is exhorbitant. One good size lobster now costs around $80AUD which is about $60US!! :( :mad:

Jennie

[quote name='sail7seas']We love lobster....but never order it on a ship. It doesn't taste anything like the great ones we are used to here in New England. We pick them live from the tank when we get them at home and cook and eat them within the hour. Of course, on the ship they have to have been frozen.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]You're so right Sails. The North Atlantic lobster has claws, and they're the best part of the whole lobster. I remember feeding the whole family on a single 10 lb. Lobster. Can't say as I enjoyed dropping the poor thing into the boiling water though.

Oh! By the way - The 10 lb. Lobster set me back a grand total of $7.50. The price has gone up a little since than, and the sizes have gone down.

Two (2) tails are enough to satisfy me on Lobster Night. Your right Lisa They are small.[/COLOR] :) :)

[quote name='joeinwpb'][color=blue]You're so right Sails. The North Atlantic lobster has claws, and they're the best part of the whole lobster. I remember feeding the whole family on a single 10 lb. Lobster. Can't say as I enjoyed dropping the poor thing into the boiling water though.

Oh! By the way - The 10 lb. Lobster set me back a grand total of $7.50. The price has gone up a little since than, and the sizes have gone down.

Two (2) tails are enough to satisfy me on Lobster Night. Your right Lisa They are small.[/color] :) :)[/QUOTE]

[b]Oh my goodness.....that must have been some number of years ago to have bought a 10 lb. lobster for $7.50.[/b]

[b]IF you could even find one today, it would set you back At Least $150 (or maybe even more) . I probably could get one if I really wanted it very badly but I would certainly have to order it in advance. We live near a very large lobster exporter and they can and do get just about every size one could want but we'd pay dearly.[/b]

[COLOR=Blue]Back in the 60's, when I bought that 10 pounder they were fairly common. Even larger ones could be acquired. They actually charged less for the large ones because the general belief, albeit erroneously, was that the large ones were tough.

That one lobster fed 10 people that night, and was delicious

Sadly the little things that are being sold now, are a sign of the times. Over harvesting to feed a burgeoning world population.[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
please // can we have some intelligent discussions... these stupid polls and ridiculous questions take up time and energy better spent.. i have a feeling there are too many people on these boards who are really bored and usae theee emails in an effort to entertain themselves.. i notice too many duplications of unecessary comments

Archived