NCL SUN Van to Hawaii BACK ON!!!!!!!!

dianeh

I am experiencing mixed feelings right now.

TA just called to say the sailing Sept 16 2006 to Hawaii was back on, NCL decided to send her from Hawaii to the Panama (and Miami) after that.

so....what do we do? We are still confirmed but I am not sure NCL is trustworthy, so do I want to stay reserved for a birthday cruise that might NOT happen?

What could NCL do for me to win back my trust?

I mentioned as such to our TA, she said write her a letter. I'm not sure my letter thru the TA will have much impact.

Asking for advice from the experts.

Diane

I too am booked on this voyage and for what it's worth, I am holding my breath. Speculation is the nature of the beast for this cruise, as the press release is vaugue in stating that the NCL Sun will be positioned in Miami for Oct 2007 - April 2008. No mention of the fact that there was/is a repo cruise to Hawaii in Sept 2007.

From a person holding a reservation on this cruise, it makes *some* sense to send her to Hawaii then on through the Canal, but realistically it doesn't make sense.

I have been hounding my Personal Cruise Consultant with these questions since the press release on Monday. She has assured that if they do cancel the sailing we will be compensated and/or offered a comparable sailing at a reduced cost. They don't want to loose customers.

I highly recommend that everyone wait for the 27th. With at least three ships involved, with the possibility of a fourth ship, its gonna take time to set up new intineraries, arrangements with the ports of calls on new dates, the logistics, etc.

With these changes happening nine months in advance, more than likely these ships are only around 10 percent booked, thus it shouldn't be too difficult to please everyone.

Then there are the cruisers who aren't as involved in the recent news, and haven't a clue. There are going to be people learning about these changes months from now, and are going to move from the Pride of Aloha to either of the other two Prides. This isn't going to shake out in a day, it may take a week or two for cabins to open up.

Therefore, please be patient. Maybe you won't get what you want on the 27th, but the cabin you want may open up in a few weeks. Give NCL time to contact these people, up to a week or more, to see how things settle.

I highly recommend that everyone wait for the 27th. With at least three ships involved, with the possibility of a fourth ship, its gonna take time to set up new intineraries, arrangements with the ports of calls on new dates, the logistics, etc.

With these changes happening nine months in advance, more than likely these ships are only around 10 percent booked, thus it shouldn't be too difficult to please everyone.

Then there are the cruisers who aren't as involved in the recent news, and haven't a clue. There are going to be people learning about these changes months from now, and are going to move from the Pride of Aloha to either of the other two Prides. This isn't going to shake out in a day, it may take a week or two for cabins to open up.

Therefore, please be patient. Maybe you won't get what you want on the 27th, but the cabin you want may open up in a few weeks. Give NCL time to contact these people, up to a week or more, to see how things settle.

You are correct, wait and see, however there are 2 items at play here:

1. The Sun in Hawaii - where are those booking going

2. The Sun repo to Hawaii - what's happening with that sailing altogether

While we can agree that most (if not all) the bookings on the Sun for Hawaii will be transferred to the PoA, it's not clear that if the Repo is cancelled what will happen to these bookings. I know that they will try to accomodate us as best they can, but they can't just transfer us to another ship, because there isn't a sailing like this one being offered.

At this time, the Sun Repo to Hawaii (according to NCL) is still a go. But, this could all change in the next couple of weeks.

I'm naive - whats the replacement PoA, as in a replacement cruise?

and how can NCL do this after cancelling, reinstating, and then cancelling again? Do they really think this is the way to keep or more importantly make clients?

I've never heard of this happening before but I am 'naive'as mentioned above.

Feedback?

Thanks

Diane

For the Vancouver-Hawaii jouney, I would suspect NCL may offer a free or much reduced flight to Hawaii where you could switch to any of their three Pride ships. You should already have arranged a flight home. I would surely attempt to get some OBC to help pay or pay for all of my flight to Hawaii.

I am experiencing mixed feelings right now.

TA just called to say the sailing Sept 16 2006 to Hawaii was back on, NCL decided to send her from Hawaii to the Panama (and Miami) after that.

so....what do we do? We are still confirmed but I am not sure NCL is trustworthy, so do I want to stay reserved for a birthday cruise that might NOT happen?

What could NCL do for me to win back my trust?

I mentioned as such to our TA, she said write her a letter. I'm not sure my letter thru the TA will have much impact.

Asking for advice from the experts.

Diane

you can send a letter directly to NCL, but, as many of us have said, this isn't something new or just done by NCL. All lines change itineraries, ships, etc. I mentioned before our granddaughter wedding cruise changed itineraries 3 times and our other sailing on Celebrity changed back and forth twice. I will be the first to say, there is no guarantee they won't change again. It is pretty unlikely, but it could happen. Now, it should be clearer to you why you were getting no concrete answers. The reps were advised to say little or nothing and that is understandable. Wait til after the 27th, stop worrying about this so much and no matter, don't expect any great conpensation from NCL, they owe you nothing. NMnita

For the Vancouver-Hawaii jouney, I would suspect NCL may offer a free or much reduced flight to Hawaii where you could switch to any of their three Pride ships. You should already have arranged a flight home. I would surely attempt to get some OBC to help pay or pay for all of my flight to Hawaii.

All our flights have been arranged by NCL, so who knows. We might jump at the suggestion of a cruise in Hawaii if they will cover the cost of the flight from YVR to HNL, although I prefer NCL over NCLA.

From a person holding a reservation on this cruise, it makes *some* sense to send her to Hawaii then on through the Canal, but realistically it doesn't make sense.
You are correct, wait and see, however there are 2 items at play here:

1. The Sun in Hawaii - where are those booking going

2. The Sun repo to Hawaii - what's happening with that sailing altogether

Has anyone booked the Sun for an actual Hawaii cruise? The last cruise listed on the NCL website is the repositioning from Vancouver to Hawaii. If that has been the last cruise for which bookings were being taken, then it would make some sort of sense to keep that cruise and then reposition her back from Hawaii through the Canal.

We just finalized our booking last Fri. for the Sept. 29th 11 day sailing on the Sun. Right now just waiting to see. Fortunately we are not locked into a time frame. We would prefer to sail the Sun. We did the Sky (which is now PoA) twice and enjoyed it, but was looking forward to the newer ship. I do think the new itineraries, with more time in the islands, may be a big compenstion. I would sure like 3 days in Maui.

Good luck to everyone and Merry Christmas.

Apart from the original Van - Hawaii repo, NCL old booking site now lists the following

10 day Hawaii and Transpacific 09/29/07

18 Day Panama Canal 10/09/07

I've only had a quick look but it appears that these may be open for online booking already ??

(Personally I am more interested in whether the Dawn will definitely relocate to Miami as planned .... :confused: )

Apart from the original Van - Hawaii repo, NCL old booking site now lists the following

10 day Hawaii and Transpacific 09/29/07

18 Day Panama Canal 10/09/07

I've only had a quick look but it appears that these may be open for online booking already ??

(Personally I am more interested in whether the Dawn will definitely relocate to Miami as planned .... :confused: )

Both those itineraries would be legal under the Passenger Services Act, or Jones Act. Vancouver, Canada to Honolulu, and Honolulu to Miami via Aruba.

6 of us are booked on the Sun April 5, 2008 Hawaiian Islands and Fanning Island cruise. Just a sittin and a- waitin!!! By the way, we booked back in July.

You will be on another cruise.

Looks like the repo to HI is still a go. :)

7-Day ALASKA SAWYER GLACIER

Norwegian Sun Sun

09/09/07 rule.gif

13-Day REPO HAWAIIAN ESCAPE

Norwegian Sun Sun

09/16/07 rule.gif

10 DAY HAWAII & TRANSPACIFIC

Norwegian Sun Sat

09/29/07 rule.gif

18 DAY PANAMA CANAL

Norwegian Sun Tue

10/09/07 rule.gif

:confused: We were originally booked on the Sun on Sept 29 also. We have air, hotel and car rentals already booked. I was just wondering for those of you who are more experienced with NCL do you have any feelings on what they will offer us? If they offer us the Pride of Aloha, which has the same dates and embarkation, debarkation sites just different itineraries that will be fine with us but it will not be fine if they try to offer us the Sun ending up in Ensenada when we are flying out of Honolulu!!

We also have booked a cruise on the Sun for Sept. 27 and was told it was going to be switched to POA. This is our first cruise and our 25th anniversary so I wanted to have everything just right. Now I am worried that it is not. Is this a common thing to change ships and ports of call? Did we book to early or is this just this cruiseline?

We also have booked a cruise on the Sun for Sept. 27 and was told it was going to be switched to POA. This is our first cruise and our 25th anniversary so I wanted to have everything just right. Now I am worried that it is not. Is this a common thing to change ships and ports of call? Did we book to early or is this just this cruiseline?

Actually, it does happen frequently, especially with port changes. I always tell clients cruising in the Caribbean in the summer time that there's always a chance that there itinerary will change and if they have a must see island, fly there and stay at a resort. In a way, I wish all cruise lines would only put there schedule out maybe less then a year in advance, that way, they could make adjustments and people wouldn't get upset. No matter where you go, you're on a cruise and you'll have a blast.

Merry Christmas,

Michael

Thanks Michael for the info. We actually are sailing on Sept. 29th. I think we have been switched to the Pride of Aloha. Travel agent will let us know soon. One question I still wonder about is do they go by the 11 nights you scheduled or by the sailing date of the 29th? Merry Christmas to you too.

Gregg

Its December 27th, and the Sun's Hawaiian Escape cruise is still listed on NCL's website. It appears its still ON! A reposition to Hawaii followed by a resposition to Miami.

Isn't NCL great! How many are going to do a go and go reposition cruise, from Vancouver to Hawaii to Miami thru the Panama Canal, close to a month long?

Its December 27th, and the Sun's Hawaiian Escape cruise is still listed on NCL's website. It appears its still ON! A reposition to Hawaii followed by a resposition to Miami.

Isn't NCL great! How many are going to do a go and go reposition cruise, from Vancouver to Hawaii to Miami thru the Panama Canal, close to a month long?

43 nights The only hitch - they will need to get off the ship in Mexico and take a bus to reboard in SAN DIEGO on the 10/09.

After the Sun completes it's season of cruising in Alaska from Vancouver, here's its schedule.

13-Day Hawaiian Escape, Vancouver to Honolulu: September 16

10-Day Hawaii, Honolulu to Ensenada: September 29

18-Day Panama Canal, San Diego to Miami: October 9

So, it'll will have three long repositioning cruises between Vancouver and Miami next fall.

By the way Shoreguy, 41 days is over a month, not almost a month. Enjoy!

43 nights The only hitch - they will need to get off the ship in Mexico and take a bus to reboard in SAN DIEGO on the 10/09.
Not if NCL is prepared to have them onboard. Vancouver to Miami is not caught by the PSA. Also, Hawaii to Miami is OK (for the PSA) if anyone wants to do it, as there's a distant foreign port.

Not if NCL is prepared to have them onboard. Vancouver to Miami is not caught by the PSA. Also, Hawaii to Miami is OK (for the PSA) if anyone wants to do it, as there's a distant foreign port.

The Honolulu to San Diego (second) leg isn't okay with the PSA, which is why it's stopping in Mexico. The Canada to Honolulu (first) leg is okay with the PSA. But, you're absolutely correct, Honolulu to Miami (second and third) legs is okay because it's stopping in Aruba on the Panama Canal (third) leg.

I also don't see why those doing back-to-backs would have to take a bus to San Diego. They should be able to stay aboard the ship. :)

But they would be violating the PSA if a back-to-back passenger decided to end their cruise in San Diego. :(

Archived