Post your best UNDERWATER cruise pictures

Great pictures above everyone. For some of you here is a big tip I discovered recently. All my underwater photos have a blueish cast. I recently realized how easy it is to fix these with Photoshop LE or a similar photo program. The automatic fixes don't usually do much, but by playing around with some of the settings you can add a little red tint to the picture to offset some of the blue. I've done this with some of the Hue or Tint settings as well as using Red photo filters on Photoshop LE. I did a page on my photo site to show the differences to a friend of mine, here is a link to it. There are about a dozed or so sets of before and after examples. Included are a few of my favorite underwater shots, along with some others that showed good, or differing results.

Hope you find this helpful

I'll post some of my photos from our December cruise even though I don't think they are my "best". I haven't adjusted any of them with photoshop, yet.

These are from St. Thomas:

From inside the W.I.T. Shoal

l3.jpg

Queen Angelfish:

l14.jpg

goldentail moray:

l22.jpg

Shrimp at the bottom of a sponge:

l26.jpg

Arrow crab:

l33.jpg

Wonderful thread. It would be useful if pictures were accompanied by a note about the equipment used and any enhancements done through software.

OK, here goes. Almost all of my photos were taken with an Olympus C5050 in the matching Olympus underwater housing. No external strobe, only used the internal flash. Any photo editing has been done using Photoshop Elements. The St Thomas photos have only been resized, no other editing was done.

Here is for what I use... my setup is a Canon A620 with a Canon Underwater housing. Internal flash with no stobe either. Although, I would love to add a strobe, but have to wait until Christmas for that.

None of the pics I have posted have had any photoshop work done on them. If the shooter can get close enough to the subject, there is no need to extract the blue hues out.

The Canon A620 actually has an underwater mode that can be activated. This in addition to using the internal flash will get good color pictures.

Here is for what I use... my setup is a Canon A620 with a Canon Underwater housing. Internal flash with no stobe either. Although, I would love to add a strobe, but have to wait until Christmas for that.

None of the pics I have posted have had any photoshop work done on them. If the shooter can get close enough to the subject, there is no need to extract the blue hues out.

The Canon A620 actually has an underwater mode that can be activated. This in addition to using the internal flash will get good color pictures.

I have an A620, though I have not used it under water yet.

Broberts,

That's a good idea.... Most of mine were taken with the Olympus Stylus 600 with underwater settings in a PT housing. No strobe as of yet. Strobes are still awkward for me and I'm trying to get decent at this and then I'll add strobes and move up in gear. I also previously used a Sea Life DC 310 in a housing but it was a horrible camera. It actually took a few good underwater shots but it was always having an issue. Whether it flooded the first time used, to the battery compartment door breaking to the strobes not firing. it was a nightmare. Hated that camera. I love my Olympus. And now, since this one is so good, I don't have to lug around 2 different cameras.. I used to take the sea life AND my Digital Rebel.

Also, my photos are not "adjusted" with the exception of some of them being cropped... I'm trying to "train" myself to work on quality, not quantity but to also take a good photo without thinking I can rely on photo shop later. That's just me. For me, I don't want to get in the habit that I can adjust everything later. So what you see here, is some of what I consider my better shots. I have tons but some aren't presentable..lol. Too blurry, too much backscatter, too far away, not enough light, etc....

Bruce-r,

Excellent pics as usual....I think those little critters know when I'm coming and run....lol..... I tried so hard to find some of those critters in tube sponges and anenome's in the Caribbean but couldn't find them. The search continues......

• 1 month later...
Nowhere near as good and colorful as the rest of the pics in this thread,but here are a couple of mines from Nassau....

Cuted126 - get Photoshop Elements or a similar program. I applied their "quick fix" for lighting and color and resaved your pics. Took just a minute or so, although one could spend more time and maybe get a better result. Here is the improvment I saw in the edited files:

U1e.jpg

u2e.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Outstanding Photos...

Love each and everyone of them

Glad I found this thread....

All my underwater shots don't compare to all the fantastic ones posted.

But here are 3 of my favorite, being swimming with wild turtles was just a great experience for me.... Would do it over & over again...

Day4AntiguaTurtle8.jpg

Day4AntiguaTurtle1.jpg

Day4AntiguaTurtle9.jpg

Outstanding Photos...

Love each and everyone of them

Glad I found this thread....

All my underwater shots don't compare to all the fantastic ones posted.

But here are 3 of my favorite, being swimming with wild turtles was just a great experience for me.... Would do it over & over again...

Why were you swimming with the turtles? :confused: Where you standing in the boat and fell in? :eek:

SandyToes... that first photo is awesome... love the colors on the shell.. they look almost reflective.

Also looks like there were a number of turtles .... was there??

I think there were about 20-30 turtles swimming around us. Little baby ones too...

It was interesting to see that each turtle's shell had different markings.

Day4AntiguaTurtle8.jpg

That is a really nice shot. Sure wish it was larger.

I have a couple of turtle photos to share too. From Cozumel:

turtle2.jpg

turtle1.jpg

Archived