Post your best UNDERWATER cruise pictures

I'm with Jana.... You have great photos Larry......And your adjusting is great..... I'm ready to go invest in Photoshop..... lol.... I have the program that came with HP image zone and with my camera but they don't do that good of a job with editing photos color wise... Though I truthfully try not too at this point in photo taking... I'm trying to remind myself to take good photos and work on composition while taking versus adjusting later.... That's just me.....But I want to be able to do better editing when I want too.... What I have doesn't do that well.....Thanks for the info.:D

Thanks - there are some really great photos posted on this thread overall. I just like pointing out the color cast thing as I was amazed at the results the first time I tried it, and it really isn't that hard. It has made a huge difference in my pictures.

For me the secret is taking LOTS of pictures. I probably take a dozen pictures for every one that comes out. I have a digital camera that is around 4 years old with an underwater casing. You can buy these on eBay, sometimes inexpensively (for around $50 or so for the camera and another $50 or so for the case) if you pick a model that is 3 or 4 years old (it will be 2 or 3 mega-pixel but that is fine for snapshots) and look a lot for a few weeks. I also adjust the color using Photoshop Elements (the consumer version of photoshop. This makes a huge difference in clarity due to the improved contrast. Look at some examples on this photo gallery ---> CLICK HERE

Is Photo Elements part of Photoshop or a seperate software package? You have great pics. I recently bought an Olympus 750 and the undewater housing for it. I am very new at it so my pics did not come out very clear and of course I have to learn to use the controls of the camera and housing. First time using it, we were in Antigua, went to fix my vest and thought I had the camera strap tied around my wrist, not so! So down it went, about $750! Fortunately someone was able to retrieve it for me. Now I make sure it is secure.

Annieeee

Annieeee

Is Photo Elements part of Photoshop or a seperate software package? ....

Photoshop Elements is a Consumer/Hobbyist version of Photoshop. I think the full Photoshop program runs something like $600, but the Elements version lists for about $100, and if you look around you can find it on sale for much less than that. The current version of the software is version 5.0.

... we were in Antigua, went to fix my vest and thought I had the camera strap tied around my wrist, not so! So down it went, about $750!...

Yes - I did that once too, had it in a swimsuit pocket I thought was closed with velcro and then it was gone. We were in shallow water at Princess Cays. Fortunately I found it, but since then I always keep the wrist strap attached to my wrist when in the water.

Photoshop Elements is a Consumer/Hobbyist version of Photoshop. I think the full Photoshop program runs something like $600, but the Elements version lists for about $100, and if you look around you can find it on sale for much less than that. The current version of the software is version 5.0.

I also recommend PSE over the full version of Photoshop. The current version for Mac is 4.0, but if you have an intel Mac, I recommend waiting until the Universal Binary version is released. 4.0 runs too slowly under Rosetta. If you have a G4 or G5 Mac, 4.0 should be OK.

This is not up to the quality standard of most of the photos in this thread 'cause my camera was junk but thought I'd post this one when I was snorkeling in Belize. I didn't notice the shark coming at me until it was 3 feet away.. in my face. But it was just checking me out and turned away as it got to me. When you are not expecting something like that to happen, it makes you feel a bit helpless but yet afterwards you are glad to have the experience. If you've never been underwater in the tropics, you need to try and get out there. You'll experience another world and you'll always want to return.

shark.jpg

This is not up to the quality standard of most of the photos in this thread 'cause my camera was junk but thought I'd post this one when I was snorkeling in Belize. I didn't notice the shark coming at me until it was 3 feet away.. in my face. But it was just checking me out and turned away as it got to me. When you are not expecting something like that to happen, it makes you feel a bit helpless but yet afterwards you are glad to have the experience. If you've never been underwater in the tropics, you need to try and get out there. You'll experience another world and you'll always want to return.

shark.jpg

There's a shark in that picture? Someone else help me out, cuz I don't see it...(I don't blame you for missing it! :D )

There's a shark in that picture? Someone else help me out, cuz I don't see it...(I don't blame you for missing it! :D )
Sabrina, I didn't notice it at first either. Look in the center/top'ish of the picture... you'll see it... eventually.:D It's coming right at you.

Thanks Cuizer2, I thought about doing that. What was cool is that I felt the shark was telling me in it's own way, "keep out... this is my reef". I obliged.;) I've seen a few and that's the first to get into my face. I loved the way it blended into its surroundings, I never saw it until it was in my face. I wish I had a better underwater camera at the time.

The Belize reef I feel is the best reef area I've seen in the Caribbean.

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful photos! I have enjoyed looking at all of them!

I'm a teenager (16), and I'd love some help with my photos. I'm on yearbook staff, so I take tons of photos both in and out of school, but always on land. :) I bought a Canon Digital Rebel in May 2006 (upgrading from my 2.0 mp Kodak Easyshare -- WOW!) and also Photoshop. We're cruising at the end of this month, and I would love to have a separate underwater camera. However, as a teen, I have a limited source of income. Someone mentioned ebay -- any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! And again, great photos!

Tricia

Thanks to everyone for the wonderful photos! I have enjoyed looking at all of them!

I'm a teenager (16), and I'd love some help with my photos. I'm on yearbook staff, so I take tons of photos both in and out of school, but always on land. :) I bought a Canon Digital Rebel in May 2006 (upgrading from my 2.0 mp Kodak Easyshare -- WOW!) and also Photoshop. We're cruising at the end of this month, and I would love to have a separate underwater camera. However, as a teen, I have a limited source of income. Someone mentioned ebay -- any suggestions?

Tricia

Hey Tricia,

Good job on taking lot's of photos..... That will help underwater too.....One big difference though, the fish just don't hold still.. lol.

So be ready to always take a photo....

As far as an underwater camera, what is your budget? You have a great camera in the digital rebel and they make underwater housings for the rebel. But, if your like me, that rebel isn't going underwater for a long time...lol..... So I have an Olympus Stylus 600 that has land settings and underwater setting w/an underwater housing that I got all that for under $450. Now, before you panic and say, "I can't afford that"! I understand ..... And I have a less expensive suggestion too....

When I first learned how to dive I started with a Suprema Super Sport. It's not digital, it's a film camera. And it's not disposable, it's re-useable. But that little camera takes darn good photos. I was impressed.... See below. I used that for 6 months then moved up to a Sea Life, which I would never recommend, then bought the Olympus.

Here's a link to the Suprema on Leisure Pro, it's a little pricey. You can get it cheaper on Ebay or shop around.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/AQUSPSS.html

And here's a link for Ebay.... Good luck and share your photos with us when you get back.......:D

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?ht=1&from=R4&satitle=suprema+super+sport&sacat=625%26catref%3DC6

dive3002.jpg

I'm a teenager (16), and I'd love some help with my photos. I'm on yearbook staff, so I take tons of photos both in and out of school, but always on land. I bought a Canon Digital Rebel in May 2006 (upgrading from my 2.0 mp Kodak Easyshare -- WOW!) and also Photoshop. We're cruising at the end of this month, and I would love to have a separate underwater camera. However, as a teen, I have a limited source of income. Someone mentioned ebay -- any suggestions?

Tricia

I have the Pentax Optio W30. It is rated for 10 feet up to two hours. I have some test photos posted below. I just took it on a cruise with me last week, but have not had time to post the photos yet. Works great for me.

IMGP0051.jpg

IMGP0064.jpg

IMGP0073.jpg

Just search for the Optio or the Pentex Optio and you can find it. It does not cost that much. I bought mine from Amazon for under $300.

Other options are, since you already have a great camera, see if there is an underwater housing for it.

Another option is the Che-ez! Foxz2 from Sharper Image (about $80 - $100). It also is rated to 10 feet. Not a great camera, but okay for limited underwater use. These two photos were taken with it ...

May07_98.jpg

May22_08.jpg

Thanks so much for the advice -- you guys have been a great help already!

Cruzegirl, you're right -- the Rebel's not going underwater for a very, very long time! The thing is, now that I have the Rebel, it's kind of hard for me to accept anything less than that quality-wise. While the Suprema doesn't look bad, I'm already spoiled with being able to take a fast series of photos with the digital, knowing I'll be able to view and go through them later to weed out any that aren't up to par.

Cruizer2 -- thanks for the information on your camera as well! I found a website on it: http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3061&review=pentax+optio+w30

I've found it on eBay as well, so it looks like I may be able to get the price down a bit.

Question here, as I'm new to this stuff--

Found this on eBay. It appears to be a waterproof bag of some sort to put the camera in. I can't see how this would be nearly as effective as a housing made for your specific type of camera. I also can't see how you could get very clear images shooting through the bag. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though! This option, especially with the price, seems too good to be true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATERPROOF-HOUSING-CASE-FOR-OLYMPUS-STYLUS-300-400-600_W0QQitemZ200124549121QQihZ010QQcategoryZ50506QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have to ask: How many of you have had catastrophic or nearly catastrophic mishaps with the camera or casing while underwater?

Thanks again for all the help!

Tricia

Question here, as I'm new to this stuff--

Found this on eBay. It appears to be a waterproof bag of some sort to put the camera in. I can't see how this would be nearly as effective as a housing made for your specific type of camera. I also can't see how you could get very clear images shooting through the bag. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though! This option, especially with the price, seems too good to be true.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WATERPROOF-HOUSING-CASE-FOR-OLYMPUS-STYLUS-300-400-600_W0QQitemZ200124549121QQihZ010QQcategoryZ50506QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Tricia

I forgot about the Aquapac. I bought one, but before I had a chance to use it I ended up buying the W30. I'll have to try the Aquapac out on my older camera. Here is the website ...

http://www.aquapac.net/

I have to ask: How many of you have had catastrophic or nearly catastrophic mishaps with the camera or casing while underwater?

I haven't had any flooding with either of my cameras, Canon A20 or Olympus c5050, but I do know a few people who have flooded their housings and ruined the cameras. Good thing they had insurance. They ended up with new cameras.

Tricia,

I totally understand about the Suprema not being a digital. It's so nice to see the photos underwater and weeding out what you don't like.

I personally wouldn't use the aquapac. I don't trust it and I've heard the photos are blurry.....

I've had no flooding or other problems with my Olympus and it's housing..... But the Sea Life set, flooded the first/3rd time..... It's basically cr*p in my opinion......

Let us know what you decide.... Good luck........

I brought along a couple disposible underwater cameras last cruise and they took the bluriest pictures. My friend has used the aquapac for a couple years and her pictures are 100% better than mine were. I will be purchasing an aquapac shortly to bring in September.

These were taken with a disposable underwater camera. Get the Fuji camera, it is easier to operate underwater than the Kodak camera is ...

I've tried both the Fuji and Kodak. I found that the Fuji definitely produces much better pics than the Kodak. But, as your photos show, underwater they are both disappointing. I found that both produced very grainy pictures and because they don't have any zoom capability its quite difficult to get nice shots when snorkeling. They do however produce very nice pictures above water.

Thanks again for such great advice! I'm considering the Pentax Optio W30 more seriously. I got my Popular Photography magazine in the mail yesterday and noticed the good review on the Pentax. Does anyone else have experience with this camera? We're on Carnival Legend at the end of the month, Western Caribbean. We'll be doing several water excursions, including the stingray encounter in Grand Cayman and cave tubing in Belize. Since I won't be diving, I like the idea of being able to using this camera without any other housing. Let me know if anyone else has any advice!

bruce-r -- thanks for the information on the flooding. Glad I got the Rebel insured earlier this summer.

Thanks!

Tricia

Another question -- what about the Olympus 770SW? Comparing the Olympus to the Pentax, what do you think?

The Oly 770SW is on my short list. Specs are better than the Pentax and image quality seems to be well above the older 720SW (which was an issue for me). If you're not doing any serious diving and don't expect to snorkel deeper than 30 ft., the Oly will do quite well.

After a lot of research, I've decided to get one for casual snorkeling and dusty/wet environments instead of a case for my Canon SD800IS (which will remain my all-the-time camera). The Oly uses xD Picture Cards (be aware if you have SD cards that you were intending to use). I have a good supply of large capacity SD cards for the Canon but a 2GB xD card is only about $35 and I figure that's all I'd need for my purposes.

Hope my humble opinion helps...

Dave

Archived