Not using a travel agent

joy cruiser

Since there are a number of TA's here, I have a question. I have booked a family cruise -- 10 cabins, 19 individuals. On these boards, I have read that any group over 8 cabins is eligible for some special goodies. Is there something I should expect/ask about now that we have gone through final payment? Or are the perquisites the TA offered back when we only figured on 4 or 5 cabins, all we should expect, ie a bottle of champagne, and a ship board credit.

Since there are a number of TA's here, I have a question. I have booked a family cruise -- 10 cabins, 19 individuals. On these boards, I have read that any group over 8 cabins is eligible for some special goodies. Is there something I should expect/ask about now that we have gone through final payment? Or are the perquisites the TA offered back when we only figured on 4 or 5 cabins, all we should expect, ie a bottle of champagne, and a ship board credit.

Hi, I am not a Travel Agent but if you booked 10 cabins I believe

one of those (YOURS) should be discounted....yes, I know Celebrity

doesn't offer them but you might want to call back.....that

almost seems like a group booking to me.

I am sure one of the TA's on this board can give you

some advice too.

IF it was booked as a group the simple answer is you normally receieve one person's cruise fare as credit (total less port charges and gov't taxes) from Celebrity for each 8 cabins. It is called "tour conductor credit". The complication is that the TA can return that credit to you in many ways, incuding OBC and other amenities to everyone. If it was booked piece meal and some cabins after final paymment by others then there may be no group and therefore no credits from the cruise line.

Ask the TA nicely if you are entitled to a tour conductor credit and how the credit was handled.

IF it was booked as a group the simple answer is you normally receieve one person's cruise fare as credit (total less port charges and gov't taxes) from Celebrity for each 8 cabins. It is called "tour conductor credit". The complication is that the TA can return that credit to you in many ways, incuding OBC and other amenities to everyone. If it was booked piece meal and some cabins after final paymment by others then there may be no group and therefore no credits from the cruise line.

Ask the TA nicely if you are entitled to a tour conductor credit and how the credit was handled.

Thanks, I will ask, but so far I have had trouble getting even a tiny bit off when I found my cabin slightly discounted on various travel sites (I asked that the little bit be taken off my final bill, but it wasn't, and after all the headaches of getting this thing together with non-cruisers, flights, hotels, etc, I just didn't feel like arguing over a tiny amount). I could have gone through the ship, but put my needs on crusiecompete and chose an agent who responded with an on-board credit per cabin of $50. At that time, I was only asking about 3 cabins, but said it could run 5 -10. I told the TA I would be recommending her agency to the family, but they would call and book individually, indicating they were with the XXX family cruise -- obviously, I didn't want to load all those deposits on my cc. Final payment just passed, and I am pretty sure everyone has paid up, so maybe something will be mentioned to me, now. I was aware of a credit for 8 cabins, but kind of thought that was something that the agents kept for themselves.

Thanks for the suggestion.

It sounds like it may not have been booked as a group but could have been. You do not have to pay deposits unless you are requesting specific cabins. Cabins by category can also be blocked(without cabin assignments) and do not have to be deposited until 5-6 months out to hold the block. You can still create a potential group without holding a block of cabins. Yes, a TA could take the tour conductor credit for themselves but not what I would do. This is a referral business and a good TA takes care of his clients and gives them a good deal. Even if I was not in this business I would not be fan of on-line boiler room agencies.

tjg41,

I would love to find a good TA. I live in a small community, and we have one TA in a neighboring community, but a friend's experience sort of turned me off to that one. I have dealt with one TA which I would consider "boiler room," and she was pretty decent until I wanted to book an NCl cruise (good price/good itinerary) and she told me she wasn't interested in working with that line. I am not pleased with the current agent, whose agency I think is smallish, because she is ill tempered. I've booked directly with a ship, and I've used one of the biggies, Travelocity. I've also used an agent from a major metro Chicago agency as part of a very large group (50 plus cabins)who was a total rip off artist, imo. I've written about that episode before so won't bore you with details.

I just keep trying.

I am curious about something else -- the agent I am currently using, sent a flyer for insurance. Later, she told one of the family that she was no longer recommending that insurance company because "they had raised their prices too high." I went to insuremytrip and found that given the coverage, they were the MOST reasonable. What do you think was up with that? Kick back that was taken away? I asked repeatedly for another recommendation, but never got an answer.

Just my 2 cents worth here. I usually don't use Travel Agents because it just seems to put one more layer into the mix for communications. We did, however, use a large online TA last year and received free travel insurance. This resulted in a $200 savings on our cruise so it seemed worthwhile. The "Happy Hour" deals are previewed on the Internet on Thursday for both Celebrity and RCCL, for booking the following Tuesday.

While some TA's may monitor price reductions, I feel that it is in my best interest to monitor my own cruise for any price reductions, as sometimes these price reductions come and go in a hurry. On our last cruise there was a small problem and the TA that we used said they had called and were told nothing could be done about it. I called Celebrity myself and the problem was solved in two minutes.

tjg41,

I would love to find a good TA. I live in a small community, and we have one TA in a neighboring community, but a friend's experience sort of turned me off to that one. I have dealt with one TA which I would consider "boiler room," and she was pretty decent until I wanted to book an NCl cruise (good price/good itinerary) and she told me she wasn't interested in working with that line. I am not pleased with the current agent, whose agency I think is smallish, because she is ill tempered. I've booked directly with a ship, and I've used one of the biggies, Travelocity. I've also used an agent from a major metro Chicago agency as part of a very large group (50 plus cabins)who was a total rip off artist, imo. I've written about that episode before so won't bore you with details.

I just keep trying.

I am curious about something else -- the agent I am currently using, sent a flyer for insurance. Later, she told one of the family that she was no longer recommending that insurance company because "they had raised their prices too high." I went to insuremytrip and found that given the coverage, they were the MOST reasonable. What do you think was up with that? Kick back that was taken away? I asked repeatedly for another recommendation, but never got an answer.

Travel agents do have "house" insurance companies. They do have a commission for the agency/agent. In addition, since cruise lines do not offer a complete insurance product (pre-exitsing condition, etc.), most agencies have the house company to offer a more complete product. Secondly, many cruisers do not wish to do the insuremytrip.com research so the house company gives the option for the agent to offer. I always offer my clients the option of doing their own thing or "our" insurance.

As for finding a good agent, as stated by others, ask around. Friends can be a great source of recommendations. I am with a good size brick and mortor agency located in Florida but we handle clients all over the world, however, for good reason, I am prohibited from posting my contact information here.

I'd love to know any other ways of finding a good TA (none of my friends use TA's for personal travel -- business travel only). It's not for me - it's for my boss. She wants to look into cruising, but she needs a lot of advice and would want a person (the SAME person) she could talk to all through the process. She can be a bit high maintenance, but if she found somebody she liked, I think she'd be a good long-term client.

Furthermore, she is looking specifically for singles cruises. Does X ever do them? Most of the people who post here seem to be in couples.

Drew, as you have no contact info. in your profile and posting agent recommendations is not permitted, unfortunately you cannot get responces to your first question.

I don't recall Celebrity running any singles cruises. Not typically Celebrity's type.

I'd love to know any other ways of finding a good TA (none of my friends use TA's for personal travel -- business travel only). It's not for me - it's for my boss. She wants to look into cruising, but she needs a lot of advice and would want a person (the SAME person) she could talk to all through the process. She can be a bit high maintenance, but if she found somebody she liked, I think she'd be a good long-term client.

Furthermore, she is looking specifically for singles cruises. Does X ever do them? Most of the people who post here seem to be in couples.

Email me at scapel@suddenlink.net and I may be able to help you.

Hi Drew, I always sail solo. But rjg is correct..Celebrity

doesn't offer "Single's Cruises".

There are solo/single people usually on board but

not as part of the cruise.

From everything I have read on these boards as well

as other sources the biggest cruiseline for

"Singles" is Carnival.

Sky Sweet You have been mis-informed. A ta works for his client and only his client. According to reps of the major cruise lines 85% to 90% of all bookings are made through a TA. There must be a reason for this. Any ta who treats a $259 client different from a $2,000. will not be around long.

Drew, as you have no contact info. in your profile and posting agent recommendations is not permitted, unfortunately you cannot get responces to your first question.

I don't recall Celebrity running any singles cruises. Not typically Celebrity's type.

Thanks, all. I wasn't looking for specific TA's as much as asking how people found theirs. Sorry if I was unclear. I'll advise my boss, but I don't want to give her a TA, as I don't want the hassle (blame) if things don't work out well... I've learned not to get TOO involved, if you know what I mean... :rolleyes:

I just called my TA to give them a "heads-up" that my boss would be calling them for a cruise for four in February. While I was on the phone I asked about booking with them now but then getting the discounts everytime the price went down. My TA is off for the holidays and I believe I got the Junior TA who said that their policy is "that once a final payment has been made, there will be no change or discount to the price". I asked what about BEFORE the final payment is made and she said she didn't know.

Can someone please clarify this for me? I thought I could book now and when I saw the rate go down, call in and get it matched. Did I misunderstand? Is this only before final payment? The cruise I am looking for is Nov 26th so final payment would be August????

Appreciate any help.

For the most part you are correct for Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. The major exception is "Happy Hour" specials. They are for new bookings only. The price reduction is not that the agency/agent match it, but the agent calls the cruise line to reduce the fare on your booking to the new level.

Now, some agencies/agents will not do that at all, some even before final payment, some charge a penelty, some will insist on keeping the commission at the previous level thus you get only a partial reduction, etc.

Now, in fairness, agents have hundreds of bookings and while they may try to monitor things it is almost impossible to monitor all of them every day. Agents are not typically informed of fare reductions by the cruise lines so if your agent will honor price reductions, you can help yourself by keeping an eye out and calling if you see a reduction.

Thanks Dick. I am only interested in Celebrity. My husband sailed RCCL in 2000 and instanlty became an anit-cruiser. Also. after a tour to China this September he also determined he was not a "tour" person either. Both are too regimented in his mind.

We sailed the Century 2 weeks ago for my 50th birthday (only reason he agreed) and he is somewhat converted BUT will only sail Century and if the price is right. He also wants to be able to drive to the port so that really limits us to a 7-night Bermuda cruise which is totally out of our price range now that it is using the new Journey. We then have left a 7-night Eastern Caribbean on Millie or the 11-night Ulitmate Caribbean on Connie. The prices are okay and I get to pick a great cabin but my DH only wants to book last minute to get a "deal". I thought I could book now and then get the price matched as the rate went down over the next 6-9 months. (yes, assuming the prices do go down :p )

If your booking through the T.A. is at a group rate, that might have some effect. I'm not sure. All I know is that if you book directly with X, they will reduce your price to match any price reductions except for "happy hour" specials both before and after "final payment".

Archived