Sharing a soda card

The OP was done with this thread a year ago. This thread is from 2006:eek:

Crap...we were having so much fun....being stupid.:D

I guess it's pretty neat to go back and bump an ancient thread back to the top and see who bites. Got me with a treble hook, all three barbs:p

Then pay your drinks individually. Soda card is not the only way to get a coke. Sorry but to me it´s not right to share it and I think of it as theft.

JMHO, YMMV obviously.icon13.gif

Almost forgot to answer your question: It doesn´t matter how strict they are, as it´s simply wrong to do it.

You say it is stealing if one has a soda package yet shares it with a spouse or child. Of course, if one has a soda package, but drinks none on a particular day, will Royal Caribbean give him credit?

How much does the bar save by filling the glass with ice, then adding less soda and not giving you the rest of the can. When you talk of theft, shouldn't this be included?:confused:

You say it is stealing if one has a soda package yet shares it with a spouse or child. Of course, if one has a soda package, but drinks none on a particular day, will Royal Caribbean give him credit?

How much does the bar save by filling the glass with ice, then adding less soda. When you talk of theft, shouldn't this be included?:confused:

Sorry but I can´t see your point. Why should you be refunded anything just because of having no Soda some day:confused:

It´s a clear deal from the beginning. They offer you the Soda Card / Sticker under the terms and conditions of it being for only one single person and at a rate of $X/day (too lazy to look up the exact price) and it has to be purchased for the entire number of days of the cruise. All this is regardless of how much or how less Soda you drink. It´s your free choice to get the deal or not. So why should it be theft by them if you don´t drink Soda on a particular day:confused:

As for the Ice, simply tell them no Ice and there you are.

Again I don´t get your point and yes even a year after my quoted statement I still stand by my words - to me sharing the Soda card equals theft.

Think that's bad? Try $68.00 a case for domestic 12 oz canned beer. That's if you purchase them one at a time. No wonder my sea-pass bill is so high:D

Where are you getting beer for $2.83 a can because I definitely want to get in on that deal.

Just my .02!

We buy 1 can of soda per day and order two glasses of ice. We split the soda and no one says a word!

$1.75 X 7 = $12.25 for 7 night cruise.

We would not benefit from $42.00 soda card so we don't buy one.

* If you drink 3 or more sodas per day then buy the card. The card is meant to save you $$$ if you drink alot of soda! End of story!

If you don't drink that much Coke, buy your drinks individually! You'll almost certainly spend less than $42 anyway! I certainly did.

Some people seem to get the idea that you can ONLY have a soda if you have a Coke card, but that's not true. You can buy an individual one anytime. Plus, it's been my experience that the bartenders frequently give away sodas.

Sorry but I can´t see your point. Why should you be refunded anything just because of having no Soda some day:confused:

It´s a clear deal from the beginning. They offer you the Soda Card / Sticker under the terms and conditions of it being for only one single person and at a rate of $X/day (too lazy to look up the exact price) and it has to be purchased for the entire number of days of the cruise. All this is regardless of how much or how less Soda you drink. It´s your free choice to get the deal or not. So why should it be theft by them if you don´t drink Soda on a particular day:confused:

As for the Ice, simply tell them no Ice and there you are.

Again I don´t get your point and yes even a year after my quoted statement I still stand by my words - to me sharing the Soda card equals theft.

I stand by my words as well. However, I don't feel more words are necessary.:mad:

Eww, I totally disagree LOL. Fountain soda's taste way better than a can, IMO. I see comments made about watered down soda, and the fountain soda was great on board the Splendour. It only got watered down if it sat in the ice for too long. I think this is the first place I have seen people say that a can is better than a fountain drink.

Maybe, it is just me.

-Mike

LOL - Nope you aren't the only one. On land or sea it's fountain for me :)

And I purchase my soda card and use it to it's full extent and then some - and do not tell me the health issues with it - we all have our own vices and I am happy with mine and make enough healthy choices that I am just fine! :)

The card is meant to save you $$$ if you drink alot of soda! End of story!

Not quite. The card is meant to make profit for RCI. If a person buys one & pays more than the soda (including associated costs) is worth, then RCI makes a profit (irrespective of how many people the amount in question is divided amongst). Not as much as they want, perhaps, but a profit.

If someone with a puritanical viewpoint doesn't buy the card due to anticipated sporadic use, yet who would've if going to share it a little, then RCI does not make any profit.

I suspect RCI would prefer to make less profit over no profit in that scenario.

Richard.

Comedian was making fun of the soda cards on the last cruise we were on and he reeally was right. You can order two dinners, eat unlimited soft serve ice cream, juices or tea, and so on but try and get a coke and they will chase you down and just freak out.

Boy, this has generated some heated discussion - a year later!:rolleyes:

My take on it is that I would not share it, as that is the kind of person I am.

I work in a police station, and before I could start working there, they had to do a full background check and I had to take a polygraph exam (lie detector test).:eek:

No question was considered too personal. They wanted to know everything that I had ever done in my life, including my sex life!:o It was really embarrassing, considering that I had volunteered there for 18 years prior to this test, and everybody knew me.

Now, this would have come up. While technically I wouldn't call it theft (more like personation and fraud), I can tell you right now that the police would have taken a dim view of it. It is one thing if you did something 20 years ago, but another if you did it last month on your cruise.:rolleyes: I more than likely would have been disqualified right then and there.

My advice to people is to live your life like you have to take a polygraph next week. It sure does change how you think and act!;)

How strict are they on doing this?? $42 for a whole week is expensive...I don't drink that much coke!!! lol

I tell you what, when me and my wife went on our honeymoon cruise (our 1st cruise) I thought it was ridiculous to pay that much for soda. Needless to say at the end of our 4 day trip we spent way beyond that for soda, and we had even brought a 12 pack with us. :eek::)

So actually, we agree. Sharing a soda sticker is wrong. If it's important enough to the cruise lines, though, to stop the practice (and increase their profits) they would have to redesign the program. Not a "bad" thing, but not something I want to see happen either.

hehe....You have to do a fingerprint scan when you get the soda, and have a blood or urine test at the end of each day to determine if you actually drank that amount of soda, and if you didn't, you pay for the difference :D

Good point, I completely forgot what the initial question is. The answer is RCI is not terribly strict about it at all. I've seen it done many times on every cruise. If the OP chooses to do that, it will not be difficult.

I don't mean to come on here and flame anyone or ruffle any feathers. I just can't help but getting irked sometimes that some people annoint themselves kings and queens of morality and feel the need to chastise and force their views on everybody else. I've been reading these boards for years and I know it's not a new thing and I'm not the first person to make this observation. It just annoys me... because:

This is a CRUISE board. I'd just love if we could try to keep the discussions/debates/(and yes even) arguments to cruising topics!!...especially dress codes and deck chair hogging. Those manage to get heated without even bringing in morality! :eek:

Amen my friend :). My question is who really cares? People that share the card are going to do just that, people who think it is wrong wont. Big deal.

Also, just to stir up controversy, I'm a big guy....not necessarily fat, but a big guy, going bald and not too cute :p I am also married to a beautiful 5'2 100lb 31 year old woman who looks not a day over 25 who is a successful model, I got her because she likes bad boys :D I'm gonna get a soda card and share it with her.....make sure to keep her around hehe ;)

Also, just to stir up controversy, I'm a big guy....not necessarily fat, but a big guy, going bald and not too cute :p I am also married to a beautiful 5'2 100lb 31 year old woman who looks not a day over 25 who is a successful model, I got her because she likes bad boys :D I'm gonna get a soda card and share it with her.....make sure to keep her around hehe ;)

From what you say, she seems pretty easy to please. Lucky man

My advice to people is to live your life like you have to take a polygraph next week. It sure does change how you think and act!;)

Crap, I'm screwed - I fail those tests, and not by lying! Sigh, it's okay, I still like me. :)

And I figure if I'm doing something that would end in me having to take one of those, I just won't get caught! Just kidding, I'm mainly harmless :)

Crap, I'm screwed - I fail those tests, and not by lying! Sigh, it's okay, I still like me. :)

And I figure if I'm doing something that would end in me having to take one of those, I just won't get caught! Just kidding, I'm mainly harmless :)

Haha! I think I would like you, too.;)

It was the most nerve-wracking thing I have EVER had to do, and I would NEVER want to do it again. As one cop described it to me, "It is designed to make you pucker." And oh boy, is that ever true!

If I knew in my teens that I would be taking a polygraph in my forties, I would have been the most perfect angel in the world.:o

Considering its fountain soda which is so cheap and that RCI is already over charging a considerable amount, personally I think they're ripping you off as opposed to you sharing your soda card stealing from them.

You pay for the card, you've paid for however many sodas come with it. They shouldn't be able to dictate who drinks them. If you buy a bottle of soda at the supermarket, does it mandate on your receipt that only one person may drink?

This isn't meant to incite any flame wars. Just if you do the math, they're not losing any money. They're still making alot of profit because it is fountain soda and not cans.

Archived