Sharing a soda card

And doesn't that sound like much better P.R than "hey guys, we need another source of on board revenue?":)

The elevators are a big hangout too. I don't see any slots to insert your seapass when you want to use one.;)

It may sould like better PR, but it just might be the truth, not every move a corporation makes is evil trying to squeeze the last penny out of you. It sounds like a believable thing to me. As for the elevators, I've never seen them used as a hang out. Perhaps thats because I cruise when schools are in session.

Yes, when I wife and I cruise, we buy two so I KNOW for a fact two people who aren't sharing. Any other worthless comparisons?

Now, now, play nice... I think you misunderstood my question...

The question is: YOU and your wife may not be sharing a card and there may be dozens of others onboard who also don't share a card... BUT do you know for a fact who IS sharing a card? Can you tell who they are? Do you spend time looking for them???

Now, now, play nice... I think you misunderstood my question...

The question is: YOU and your wife may not be sharing a card and there may be dozens of others onboard who also don't share a card... BUT do you know for a fact who IS sharing a card? Can you tell who they are? Do you spend time looking for them???

You asked if I knew anyone. My wife and I are someone. I never try to tell whether anyone else is sharing, I'm too busy enjoying my cruise.

In no way am I pointing the finger at anyone here, just trying to rationalize how anyone could spend $112 to drink soda for one week, and that amount doesn't even allow everyone in the family to legally enjoy a soda. For those who purchase the soda cards, do you really get your money's worth? And is it impossible to sacrifice yourselves to drinking water, iced tea, lemonaid, milk, coffee, hot tea and fruit juice for a week, that you must spend that much money on soda? I'd crap if my bar bill was that much. No doubt, your first thought is that I'm cheap? No, just thrifty :)

hmmmmm. maybe it's the time of the season but this thought did cross my mind.

I am a very lucky person to have found these boards with so many self righteous folks. I could have never guessed how many of these people were on CC that could lead me to such high ground. It appears there would be many here on the CC board who would have picked up the stone when Jesus Christ said, "he who is without sin, cast the first stone".

You asked if I knew anyone. My wife and I are someone. I never try to tell whether anyone else is sharing, I'm too busy enjoying my cruise.

Thanks for proving my point... once we're onboard, no one cares or pays attention... nor would they have the nerve to approach someone and question their morality... we save that for these boards;)

Right or wrong... It happens... but we only seem to care about it when we aren't onboard...

Alright, I have one question about the sharing of the soda card? "Who cares?" If my wife has only a soda or two the whole trip and I have the stamp on my card? So what? Its not a big deal in my eyes. To anyone else, thats your opinion and I respect it. But its not going to hurt anyone and once cruiselines start enforcing the soda card "IE: watching the person who got the drink actually drink it" I will start caring, until then its just a loophole and everyone does it. Would you tell your loved one that you they had to put the soda on their pass and you still end up paying for it after? I dont think so. Thanks for your time in reading this.

Alright, I have one question about the sharing of the soda card? "Who cares?"

It seems everybody!!! LOL

We have now included god, Jesus probably Moses, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, The Pope himself and whoever else will damn your soul to hell if you share. :rolleyes:

But you recognized the slot in your cabin door you are inserting your SeaPass card into and of course know that you are charged every single time you do so;)

Yeah, but at least there are no teens hanging out in there. Hmmm, maybe that slot really works!:D

sailed on the radiance last november, 14 night cruise and I bought the soda card right away, unfortunately the coke you get with a soda-pass is post-mix while the people who 'buy' coke get real coke from a can. (attempts to get coke at places without a 'soda-gun' or with a broken 'soda-gun' failed, a random quote from a bartender: 'sorry we do not have soda-pass-coke here, only the cans, you'll have to go somewhere else' (not an isolated incident!)

when boarding they advertise 'if you love softdrinks get the soda pass', it should say: 'if you want to drink 1,5 liters of flat and watery post-mix coke out of a plastic bucket every day at a price for which others get cans of real coke in a can get the soda pass'

no more soda-pass for me.....

Not that I would do this because it would be wrong, and i am asking this because well after 17 pages it just seams like a good time to bring it up.

Has anyone ever used there old soda card on there next cruise. it seems like it would be easy to do, just flash your old card and get a soda.

Ths outa' stir things up...

If you purchase a set of these on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-Royal-Caribbean-Soda-Card-Glasses-or-Mugs_W0QQitemZ220187168654QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

And you then go on a cruise with them...

Will they give you soda, even without asking for proof that you paid for the soda package?

If someone were to bring the old style metal insulated cups on board... Will that matter either? Will they care or will they become suspicious?

And I think this is an excellent question...

Originally Posted by TahoeBob

Has anyone ever used there old soda card on there next cruise. it seems like it would be easy to do, just flash your old card and get a soda.

If you paid for it... Why not use it again?

What's this sticker look like anyway?

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-Royal-Caribbean-Soda-Card-Glasses-or-Mugs_W0QQitemZ220187168654QQihZ012QQcategoryZ14053QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Will they give you soda, even without asking for proof that you paid for the soda package?

If someone were to bring the old style metal insulated cups on board... Will that matter either? Will they care or will they become suspicious?

LOL - You've gone and done it now :D

I wouldn't try simply because I know I'd get caught and my luck would be that the week I tried it they were using brand new cups or always checking cards or something that would make it obvious I was cheating the system and the scarlet "S" would be on me for trying to steal soda!

If I've used the cup I am rarely asked for my card too although I tend to flash it out of habit and I usually don't bother carrying the cup so I need the sticker on my card.

I think you likely could get away with it by just re-using the cup but I wouldn't try it, I may not like paying extra for the soda but I need to have it (it helps counteract sea sickness for me and buffer many food allergy reactions I have) around so I just suck it up and pay and get my monies worth and I prefer the convenience of paying once instead of always signing a new tab - I had enough on board receipts without adding individual soda purchases to the mix, LOL.

But hey if those sell i am so putting my 4 up for sale! :)

:D Thanks for your honest advice.

I hope everyone sees the humor in this and lightens up, rather than over-reacting and supplying the typically antagonistic responses we all see in great supply, on this wonderful forum. :p

Easy there Sparky... or the 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse may visit your home for suggesting such a thing...:)

I honestly don't know the answer but you're right... that is a good question... I imagine that they probably change up the sticker every now and then... maybe it's different depending on the ship you are on or something... I would hope they have something in place to prevent you from doing it but then again... there are so many things that they don't enforce, this may just be one of them... anyone know??? Just for the sake of asking...

OK - just for fun, try this one on. Yesterday at the theater, I paid for my ticket, my popcorn, and popped open my smuggled Diet Dr. Pepper can and enjoyed it. You know what crossed my mind? Not fearing being caught by the theater police, but thinking," Oh my goodness, I hope there are no cruise critic people in here!" :eek:

(Please note sarcasm intended)

And for the record, we did purchase 1 adult and 2 kid's soda cards on the Mariner last week. ($112 total) I enjoyed the Diet Pepsi cans the porters delievered to my room with my luggage, and an occasional sip from my hubby's glass on the Promenade.

Ah, but the difference is as you noted. You "snuck" in a soda at the theater. You don't have to sneak to bring soda onboard the ship. If you have an occassional sip, big deal. If you use someone else's (your DH or whoever) card all week for frequent full glasses of soda, then it's against the rules.

JandJ091902: You ask "Who cares?" The answer is RCI cares, which is why they made the package rules so crystal clear. Do I go around wondering who is or is not sharing soda cards? Heck no, I've got too much else to do to spend any time on that. However, on this thread in this forum the question has come up. It's not judging, it's not admonishing to state the facts as RCI has laid them out: Soda package is for one person. As I wrote before, what others do with it is between them and their conscience. I think it's wrong to buy one package knowing that two or more people will get the full use of it. (I remember once that a member wrote they were going to buy one child's soda package and use it for the whole family. I have to ask what this teaches children. It certainly doesn't teach them honesty.) It doesn't matter how cheap soda is to make.

beachchick

Ever wonder how many soda "stamps" would be sold if you could somehow stamp the hand of the "the user" and it would last for the duration of the cruise? I'm sure many would still disregard the rules and force the one with the stamped hand to fly for all the sodas. Who needs kids camps when you need them to fly for the sodas? LOL I've been to parks where the (invisible) hand stamps they used for reentry have last through an afternoon swim and shower while taking a break from the park. The cruise lines are so aware of whats going on, that's why they charge such rediculous prices for the card to begin with. THEY aren't loosing out on anything; it's the passenger loosing out by paying all that money to guzzle fountain soda all week! LOL

I'll ask this again...

http://cgi.ebay.com/FOUR-Royal-Carib...QQcmdZViewItem

Quote:

Originally Posted by TahoeBob

No, that's a terrible comparison. :mad:

To make comparisons, it'd be more suited to your buying a large soda at McDonald's and then when the cup is empty, you refill it.

You get free refills, right? That's why they have the soda machine available for your access.

Though I don't do it myself, you theoretically COULD keep that cup and refill it for as long as you want... Theoretically speaking of course.

There are no rules about how LONG you get refills for.

Right?

I realize it sounds tremendously petty and cheap, putting it that way, but you brought up the analogy, so I'm simply running with it.

Disney has cups that you can buy at their "On Property" resorts, where you can refill your sodas over and over and over again, throughout the length of your stay there. They cost about $10.00 to purchase and you keep them and walk around with them while at that resort, using them for anything from soda, to coffee or water.

We (along with MILLIONS AND MILLIONS of other guests across the planet Earth), bring those same cups back with us, if we're staying at the same hotel again. We actually have quite a collection of outdated cups from four different themed resorts from Disney World that are just sitting in boxes in our basement, unused.

I "think" we got our money's worth out of them, having used each of them at least twice, over the years. I think it's time to buy new ones for the next trip. :p

The Disney resorts know this takes place and they have no reason to stop you from doing so. They know it happens and they could care LESS. Though they DO change the looks and design of the cups, every five years or so, but it apparently has no bearing on their trying to get people to buy another cup, from what we've been told.

Because they know how freakin' CHEAP the soda is.

And if that's one way to make their guests happy... Then so be it!

Because they know how freakin' CHEAP the soda is.

And if that's one way to make their guests happy... Then so be it!

Probably they know the percentage of thieves that would find a way to steal soda anyway so why not make it easy for them to just use the same cups.

Changing cups might confuse little kids about the lesson Mommy and Daddy are teaching them about how to rip off the system.:)

Archived