Sharing a soda card

Yeah RCI has to make a buck and I do agree that a those who break the rules normally cost those who follow them more money.

BUT lets think about this, really $6 a day for soda... good god! I'll be genrous and say it cost them appox 50-$1.00 to fill that cup and give it to me. .

Try probably $0.10 cents to fill it up.

I think instead of buying a unlimited soda card..........some people on these boards need unlimited chill pills..................LOL happy holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah - it's just the passion that we all love about Cruise Critic! Keeps us coming back for more doesn't it? ;)

Yeah RCI has to make a buck and I do agree that a those who break the rules normally cost those who follow them more money.

BUT lets think about this, really $6 a day for soda... good god! I'll be genrous and say it cost them appox 50-$1.00 to fill that cup and give it to me. They are making money hand over fist on a soda or soda cards. We've all heard that thing about it only costing McDonnalds 5cents to fill a soda cup.

I'm also tired of the "cruises cost money so this isn't a big expence" retort. Really I've heard this for anything from affording formal attire, getting pass ports, to the cost of soda. I feel like the people who keep up with this line up logic must be those who pay $1000+ pp, cause to me who pd $400 pp is thinking that extra $80 for the 5 days is just silly. I thought of sharing cause I know we can't drink even $40 worth of soda for the whole trip.

Yes cruising is expensive, but believe it or not I think people just want a fair deal. Paying $6 a day for a soda card is high, and I don't care if you want to "share" the sodas truth is even the most "shareing" couples would be hard pressed to drink away RCI's profits.

I don't see where cruising is expensive. IMHO it's one of the best ways to vacation without breaking the bank. Ever spent a week at Disney in one of their mid range or higher hotels and added food into the equation? Folks can choose the less expensive accommodations or go all out and book a suite. It all depends on ones needs and wallet. Cruising today is cheaper than it was twenty years ago and the ships have much more to offer. The cruise lines have decided to keep the prices lower and let folks pay for what they want on a cruise. So IMHO the small amount for the soda card is not bad. If a person does not want to pay it then they have the choice of other free beverages on board or some even bring their own on board at the different ports of call to use in their cabin. Also keep in mind that the cruise lines are in the business to make money just like everyone else. If you feel that their prices are too high then vote with your wallet and pick someone or something else. :)

Actually, I am not heated at all. As far as I know, you and I have never had a heated conversation before. And I do respect your opinion. We just agree to disagree. I would never go to a buffet and share with someone. That, IMO is different than a coke. But none the less, I understand your position and I respect it. And for that matter, even though I paid for the card, it was really for my partner anyway. I probably had a total of 3 or 4 cokes on the entire cruise. The rest had something mixed with them. My partner just tends to be cheap (if you tell him that you are in trouble:D ) and I knew that if he didn't buy one he would never drink his cokes. If you could only see my seapass card, you would notice that cokes were not really in the agenda for me that week.

Anyway, this is not heated and I will not argue with anyone about it. It is one of those situations that no one is ever right or wrong. Everyone is doing what is right for them. ;)

p.s. I have no idea what YMMV means?

YMMV = Your Milage May Vary:)

Happy Holidays

BUT lets think about this, really $6 a day for soda... good god! I'll be genrous and say it cost them appox 50-$1.00 to fill that cup and give it to me. They are making money hand over fist on a soda or soda cards. We've all heard that thing about it only costing McDonnalds 5cents to fill a soda cup.

I'm also tired of the "cruises cost money so this isn't a big expence" retort. Really I've heard this for anything from affording formal attire, getting pass ports, to the cost of soda. I feel like the people who keep up with this line up logic must be those who pay $1000+ pp, cause to me who pd $400 pp is thinking that extra $80 for the 5 days is just silly. I thought of sharing cause I know we can't drink even $40 worth of soda for the whole trip.

Yes crusing is expensive, but believe it or not I think people just want a fair deal. Paying $6 a day for a soda card is high, and I don't care if you want to "share" the sodas truth is even the most "shareing" couples would be hard pressed to drink away RCI's profits.

I´m not going to the point of discussing if cruising is expensive or not, but stay instead on the topic of the Soda Card.

In my opinion you miss the point in discussing the cost of the Soda card against the actual cost of a Soda. I agree with you that the Soda Card might be overpriced for some and that it costs the Cruise line only cents to fill the cups. However that´s not the point.

They sell Soda cards at a set price and they tell you the price upfront. Nobody puts a gun to your head and forces you to sign the slip for the Soda Card. If you think it´s outrageous high and you don´t drink that much, just don´t buy it. But with buying it you abide to their rules and they state clearly it´s per person and not for sharing. Cost of the card and cost of fountain Soda have nothing to do with this deal.

Just to offer ANOTHER opinion ;) ....

Just so we remain on track, the OP was simply asking if this is enforced or not. They didn't ask to hear our opinions if we thought it was okay to share, if we thought it was stealing, if it would get us pushed over the side (heehee)...

I guess the answer is from the posts is that...

Yes RCI is lenient as shown by one post allowing the husband to use the card during dinner. If not RCI then at least the staff. However, granted RCI does state it's one card pp.

RCI lovers are torn on the issue so to the OP, just make sure you are wearing your life jacket at all times :D :D :D

Just so we remain on track, the OP was simply asking if this is enforced or not. They didn't ask to hear our opinions if we thought it was okay to share, if we thought it was stealing, if it would get us pushed over the side (heehee)...

I guess the answer is from the posts is that...

Yes RCI is lenient as shown by one post allowing the husband to use the card during dinner. If not RCI then at least the staff. However, granted RCI does state it's one card pp.

RCI lovers are torn on the issue so to the OP, just make sure you are wearing your life jacket at all times :D :D :D

LOL! Can you imagine being thrown off the ship for sharing a soda card?

Good thing there are no trials or courts at sea........but if there were a jury???? :eek:

My husband. Hehe. Thats funny!:D ;)

The soda card is $6.90 per day with the 15% tip included. A can now costs 1.75 and the 15% tip bringing it over $2 per can. I have no trouble sharing a soda once in while with hubby but would never bring my own liquor onboard. People have to do what they're comfy with. If there were any non caloric drinks onboard i wouldn't bother with diet coke but I don't drink ice tea so have no other options. I vote they put sugar free lemonade on the menu.

Some postings have expressed *difficulty* in getting sodas with the soda card anytime day or night, and remember tip is already included in soda card price, so if you tip again, you are tipping twice.

Yeah I read that too - it's a little surprising! It's definitely a pursuation not to get one eh?

The soda card is $6.90 per day with the 15% tip included. A can now costs 1.75 and the 15% tip bringing it over $2 per can. I have no trouble sharing a soda once in while with hubby but would never bring my own liquor onboard. People have to do what they're comfy with. If there were any non caloric drinks onboard i wouldn't bother with diet coke but I don't drink ice tea so have no other options. I vote they put sugar free lemonade on the menu.

Make your own. Take Crystal Light packets (though they are not the only brand; I just assume that everyone knows what I mean by these). I take several different flavors, and mix up my own in my own lidded mug.

I, too, only drink diet + caffeine-free beverages. This means water or my mixes.

As for sharing the soda card...............

It is perhaps the clearest issue ever raised by any cruiser, on or off this board.

The only thing that people CAN disagree on is whether they are willing to lie and cheat.

The issue itself is clear: the soda sticker/card is purchased for the sole and exclusive use of ONE person.

Choosing to do otherwise is lying, cheating and stealing.

And that's not just *my* opinion.

It's a fact.

P.S. I paid a lot of money for my cabin. I'm taking the pillows with me when it's over.

How strict are they on doing this?? $42 for a whole week is expensive...I don't drink that much coke!!! lol

If $42 is too much then money then save even more by drinking the FREE lemonade or ice tea. If you don't want to pay the $42 for a coke card then do what another poster suggested, buy then individually as you want one.

I enjoy an occasional soda, but not enough for a coke card and typically just drink ice tea or buy an occasional soda.

Archived