Just Back (Spirit Dec 17-25) Review +

jeffreytg

gatsby,

I did not see a poker tourney at play but did see a pickup game and there were 5 people at a 10 seat table. As for blackjack- it got crowded the later it got. Craps was rarely crowded except when 1 side only was open and we had a hot shooter. Im posting the Capers on webshots right now at the link i left earlier- you can find poker tourney details therein.

Jeffrey,

Sorry we never met up...we had a 6:30 dining time in the supper Club on the 2nd night, so we were there at the same time. I have to agree about the Supper club...outstanding! I had the Rib Eye and my daughter had the Filet Mignon. We were stuffed. My daughter kept thinking the singing was coming from downstairs. It was excellent.

I'm with the kids....I LOVED the Warm Choc. Melting Cake. A couple of nights, it was a little to firm, so our waiter brought me a more batter like one....our wait staff was great. We had 2nd seating, Table 142 on the lower level next to a window. It's funny, we were 3 single moms, all with our daughters about the same age.

I can tell people if you can wait to get to the ports, don't waste your money on the internet services on the ship. In Acapulco right at the pier, internet rates are $1 for 15 mins, $2 for 30 and $3 for 60mins (on ship-$55 for 100 mins). Phones calls home were $1 per minute and perfect service.

In Zihuatanejo, we found an Internet spot for $1 for an hour. In Manzanillo, phones calls for about 60cents a minute.

And for anyone that was on this cruise, my daughter was one of the girls hypnotized in the first show and was the last one on the stage and had her hand completely twisted around 1 1/2 times.

We also were the ones that had the multi colored light up martini glasses (daughter left her's on the table on Fiesta night on deck). So, we came home 1 short. Everybody wanted to know where we got them (ebay).

All in all, we had a great time and this being my 17th cruise, met my expectations. Nothing spectacular, but nothing bad. Met some wonderful people, whom I'm sure we will stay in contact with.

We didn't do any ship tours. Just did our own thing. Hopefully, if there are any more questions, Between Jeffrey and myself, we can answer most of them...

Debbie

Jefferytg

Thanks for a great review, I think your review of the Spirit was fair and balanced. DH and myself sail for the 4th time on her next Tuesday. We can't wait. I was glad to see that they do indeed have VIP check-in now and it sounds like they are more orgainzed at the port than the last time we sailed from there. It was a nightmare getting on board.

Number1cruiser

Hi Debbie,

I made one hypnotist show- I think the late show since we had early seating. It was average to me, acceptable and a C grade. It was what I expected from a hypnotist.

That girl singing in the Super Club was very good- Our table was to the Left and forward of that act on the lower level almost infront of the stage. We called her over during her second break and told her how much we loved her voice. She was a dead ringer vocally for Karen Carpenter.

We had table 139 (booth right next to waiter station) during early seating.

I did not use internet service but did notice internet services advertised in all three ports.

Fitness Center (almost forgot this)

It was interesting to see how many people where in the gym the first morning and how it dwendled as the cruise progressed. That first sea day morning there were people lined up to use the cardio equipment, by the last sea day there were plenty of unoccupied machines to be found. I typicaly went some time between 6:00 AM-8:00 AM

If my memory serves me correctly the gym has the folllowing equipment:

• 4 eliptical machines
  • 2 stairmaster type machines
  • 6-8 treadmills
  • free weights up to 75 lbs?
  • Seated chest press machine
  • Seated deltoid machine
  • a few other machines that i don't remember
  • jacuzzi
  • individual dressing rooms- these were cool- your own private place to shower and change

Spirit Fitness Center Grade B (exceeded my expectations with the cool individual dressing rooms)

Grand Gala Buffet (commonly referrd to as Midnight buffet)

Held on the 3rd sea day and open for pictures at 11:30 PM and for partaking at 12:30 AM. Nice presentation and to my surprise there was some hot food in the form of a beef, chicken, and a fish dish. The buffet featured quite a bit of fish based food- salmon rolls, smoked salmon, pealed shrimp etc.

Of course there was a large dessert table at the end with assorted cakes mostly, also chocolate mousse.

There was quite a line for this buffet and it moved a little too slow. There are two buffet lines, one of each side of the set up.

I made it to the food at about 1:00 AM and to my disappointment a number of areas that were out of food. I know not whether they were ever restocked or if once the food is gone, thats it. I had to miss out on smoked salmon for example.

Gala Buffet Grade C-

We had a window seat in the supper club and it really is "no big deal" The club is on the 10th floor and there is the walking deck right outside. All you see is pitch black looking out the window and the occasional walkers cruising the upper deck.

My daughter and I worked out the first couple of days and walked the stairs 95% of the time. We did a lot of walking in the ports. She would laugh at me, because I would just take off walking down streets and I had no idea where I was going. I speak some Spanish, so it worked out in the long run.

We did go to the early Captain's Welcome aboard party because of Supper Club, so you can see us if you have the video. We are both blondes (she is very petite) and I have on the Lilac dress and she has on a long brown satin dress.

Also, we both won a coveted 24K gold (plated) Ship on a stick....LOL!

Jeffreytg,

your review made me miss the Spirit so much! We loved the Spirit and will sail on her again! We sailed her in May of this year to Alaska. We had a wonderful cabin Steward, Juan. We also had outstanding service in the Empire Dining room by Martina. You would have loved her, she made all her tables feel special. Her contract ended in Oct, tho, so you would not have gotten to meet her.

Thanks for your pics and review. I really enjoyed the pics. I loved the turtle ones. Julie

one more thing, being in the Nouveau Supper club on the second level by a window, was something to behold for us. In Alaska the sun stays up for so much longer, it was a beautiful view, not only due to the sun but also the whale that was breeching right by the ship!:eek: :D We got a extra special dinner and entertainment that night! And I too, think the lady singer sounds like Karen Carpenter. We really enjoyed her. My MIL requested a certain song, the lady singer did not know it and came to our table to see what else she could sing for my in laws and us.

• 3 weeks later...
Update on Art Auction:

As mentioned in the review I purchased a piece of art during an onboard auction. It was stated that the piece would be delivered in 6-8 weeks but was received yesturday January 15th in a tad less than 4 weeks. Delivery was made by DHL and required a signature. The peice was well-packed and was received as ordered.

Archived