hotel in Copenhagen

chives

Dear friend,

Since Copenhagen was still part of Europe the last time I looked (in fact Denmark is a European Union member country), I'll dare to answer you here and not on the Baltic board.

The SAS Radisson chain more or less is the dominant player in the Copenhagen hotel market. Check their website for various specials at their centrally-located hotels. Copenhagen is really not that big, so don't worry about the hotel being right next to the pier.

The grande dame of Copenhagen is the D'Angleterre hotel. I found it a bit worn, though, on my last visit.

There is a new Marriott right on the water where I stayed a few years ago. It was very modern, very clean, and very reasonably priced. However, don't expect any European charm. Once inside the room, you really couldn't tell whether you were in Europe or in Salt Lake City.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Dear friend,

Since Copenhagen was still part of Europe the last time I looked (in fact Denmark is a European Union member country), I'll dare to answer you here and not on the Baltic board.

Gunther and Uta

============================================================================

LOL. I was just trying to help the original poster. While I know they will likely get some responses here, if you go over to the Baltic Boards you will see that there is lots of valuable information on the Baltics over there and likely the OP will get more responses over there.

Many of the Cruise Critic boards are not divided by Continent. Othewise, there would be far fewer boards.

Keith

Dear Keith (and I hope the owners of cruise critic are listening).

It has long been said that the Europe boards were organized in a peculiar fashion. This post reinforces the need to change that.

For example, there is a London/UK/British Isles board. But many cruises start in London -- only to go around Spain, France and Italy, and then go back to London.

There is a separate Africa/Middle East Board. But a great deal of Southern European cruises go to Casablanca, Tunis, Alexandria, etc.

Most Med Cruises go to Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Turkey. How on earth do you lump information about entire countries that are so tourist-oriented onto one board, when the counterside to this is that there is a separate board for every tiny Caribbean island which many cruiseships don't even cover very frequently.

My suggestion for dividing the boards would be:

UK/Ireland/British Isles

Portugal/Spain/North Africa (including Gibraltar and Andorra)

France (including Monaco)

Italy

Greece/Malta/Turkey/Cyprus/Egypt

Baltics

Even in the above division, I would still have a problem with cities such as Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Berlin, and Hamburg inasmuch as there are a great many cruises (especially on the luxury lines) that start or end in these cities but do not do the predictable route up to St. Petersburg, but rather go back down around the Med and end up in Barcelona or Rome instead.

In any case, I think my point is taken about lumping all of Europe into one board.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Gunther, again, all I was trying to do was to help out the Original Poster.

This past fall our Seabourn cruise began in Copenhagen and ended in London with some stops in the Baltics and other stops in the United Kingdom and in Ireland.

It was really no big deal for us. For my questions about Copenhagen and Norway I posted them on the Baltic board and my questions about Waterford, Ireland I posted on the appropriate board.

My wife and I are soon going on a World Cruise with stops in a variety of places and is really no big deal to post the questions on the appropriate board for that location.

I think Cruise Critic does the best they can with the organization of these boards.

Again, all I was trying to do was help the original poster as there are lots of posts about Copenhagen on the Baltics Board and that board was a big help to me in planning our three day pre-cruise in Copenhagen.

Keith

Keith:

Please keep us all informed about your world cruise. My wife and I might be taking one in 2008, and we will be anxious to hear your comments. We are looking at Silversea, Crystal and the Europa.

Have a great time since it will be coming up very soon.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Archived