Houston- Galveston- Dilemma

Margarita1time

I will be cruising from Galveston in May, and have a few questions. I now realize I can't fly into Galveston. Will try to fly into Hobby as it is a little less expensive. I have read that there is a "limousine service" for $60 per person round trip to Galveston. That seems a little pricey to me, but as I'm not familiar with the area- maybe it's normal for there. I'm wondering if I should stay near the airport the night before, and catch the limo service the next day. Or would it be better to find a way to Galveston the night before when we get in and stay in a hotel closer to the pier? Any input or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hobby Airport is located on the south side of Houston and about 45 min. from Galveston.

There are several threads on this board regarding transportation to and from Galveston. Enterprise car rental seems to be the most economical. Several people have posted one way rentals.You can check the various threads for precise info or you can go to Galveston.com and find what you are looking for.

Many of the hotels in Galveston offer free parking and shuttle service, I would book reservations in Galveston and spend your pre-cuise time there. The are several hotels around Hobby airport but the area itself is a place that you would avoid after dark. I grew up in that area and know it well.

Hope this helps, have a super cruise.

Thanks Dannymac. One thing I am seeing is that a lot of hotels in the Galveston area have no availability for 5/5/2007. I'm wondering if there's some kind of event going on then. Thanks especially for the insight as to the area around Hobby. I will definitely try to get something in Galveston. I'm guessing this will be my last time cruising out of Galveston, as it is such an inconvenience to get there. But who knows-maybe I'll fall in love with the place! I've heard it's a charming place.:)

... One thing I am seeing is that a lot of hotels in the Galveston area have no availability for 5/5/2007. I'm wondering if there's some kind of event going on then...

Possibly the Cinco de Mayo Celebration.

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif120103_emA60_prv.gif

It's Cinco De Mayo. If you rent a car from Hobby one-way through Enterprise you will have alot more flexibility in where you can stay. The Clear Lake area is almost half-way from Hobby to Galveston. You can spend a very enjoyable evening on the Kemah Boardwalk.

http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/flash_content/flash_content.html

If you arrive early enough in the day you can visit the Johnson Space Center.

http://www.spacecenter.org/

Closer to Galveston is Gulf Greyhound Park. Built in the early 1990's it is a very nice facility if you like dog racing. It is a fun way to spend an evening.

http://www.gulfgreyhound.com/

In addition to hotels/motels in the Clear Lake area, you will find many hotels from the big chains along I-45 between Houston and Galveston.

Archived