Footwear for Egypt

pacmom

Nancy,

We arrive on Feb. 20, spend 2 nites and then fly to Luxor for 7 nites on the Nile, back to Cairo on Mar. 1st and home on the 3rd. I'll look for your boat at some of our stops, but I think we won't get a chance to meet--this time, but maybe someday on some river. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

HI - We will be sailing on the Anuket on the Nile - maybe we will see you Pat - what ship will you be on?

Roscoe - thanks for all the information. We will definitely go out walking at night. It sounds beautiful.

Joy - how long did it take to have your clothes made? It sounds like a great idea. Joe would also like to buy some shirts made of Egyptian cotton. Anyone know a good place?

It is close enough now that I am getting excited and trying to figure out which clothes etc. to take.

Thanks for all the great info. Nancy

Nancy I did not have clothes made in Egypt but I did buy some great shoes. They had copies of all the famous brands. Happy Sailing, Joy

I had no idea that shoes were a good buy there. What a great idea - where did you find them? Thanks

Nancy

Nancy I typed an answer to your question but it disapeared. We stayed I believe at the Mariott. There was a mall across from the hotel it is filled with lots of shoe stores. They did have other stores too but more shoe stores than anything else. I bought so many shoes and matching handbags that I had to buy a bag at the kiosk across from the Hotel. Next time I will mail back any big purchases as my back broke as we were leaving for the airport and they had to tie and tape it together. Our next stop was Israel so Fred mailed his books from there I should of mailed my shoes and bags but did not and in NYC coming home it cost me extra to bring them back on the plane. I hope this posting posts. I think you will like Grand Circle we have done two of their trips and we like the way they handle things. Nabil was our guide and he was very nice. He told us of a liquor store called Drinkies and their were a few of us that wished to purchase liquor and the other guide dropped them off to get liquor. Fred walked back after his purchase of liquor to the Hotel with no trouble I stayed on the bus and went back with the others to the Hotel. Happy Sailing,Joy

Joy, I laughed when I read your response. I can just see you with shoes and bags scattered all over the airport. It certainly sounds like something I would do and Joe would be having a fit. Guess I better pack an extra bag for the shoes. What a name for the liquor store - Drinkies!! Were you able to buy some decent wine there? I had considered bringing some from home as I had read that their wine was not very good. Was it expensive?

Thanks for all your tips. Have you found your new shoes to be comfortable and well made? Thanks again.

Nancy

Hi Nancy I typed this yesterday and the board swallowed my post and it disapeared. I will try again and hope this does not happen again. I did not try wine in Egypt. We had Stella Beer and it was very good and we had Vodka made in Egypt that Fred purchased from Drinkies. The kiosk across from our Hotel had Stella Beer, it was not in sight but they did have it if you asked. We were able to get fresh squeezed orange juice at this kiosk and they squeezed it in front of you so it was really fresh and sweet. We used this to make screwdrivers.

We stayed at the Ramses Hilton. Our housekeeper was a very nice young man and he was so kind to me when he saw me carry all of my packages in he ran and grabbed them and put them into the room for me. I think you will find the Egytians to be very nice and friendly. The mall was across the street too. I don`t know if you are taking the pre Jordon or post Israel trip but I did buy wine in Israel and Brandy and it was excellent. The shoes were very comfortable and one pair was a copy of a Chanel with matching handbag Black and White. I don`t think I would pack wine because you will not be able to carry it on the plane. The way they throw the luggage around you might have a terrible disaster. Happy Sailing, Joy

It looks like the wine situation is a little dire on this trip. Maybe the liquor store will have a better wine, or I could try buying it at the airport in Cairo at the duty free after we land.

I am trying to sort out which clothes to take. It doesn't look like it will be too hot while we are there which will be good. I am anxious to get some shoes in Cairo.

Nancy

Nancy they will have a Black and White night that everyone will wear Black and white. My husband wore a black and white embroidered shirt I got him from Mexico with black slacks. I had a black and white skirt and top. One lady bought a pretty blouse at one of the open markets. It was white and she wore it with her black slacks. They will a a gallabya night and they do sell them on the ship but you can find them at all of the markets. Some of the guys wore turbans and robes. The only thing I could get Fred to wear was a Egypian tee shirt lol. I had bought a Cleopatra necklace and also some beads that were like they were crotched I wore these beads in my hair and wore the neckalace arond my neck. I had found a very pretty dress in one of the open markets. I also found some lovely shawls on my trip. Happy Sailing, Joy

Nancy perhaps you can find some wine that is not made in Egypt. I think if you could find French wine or wine from anywhere else it would be better. If not maybe you can ask them which one was the best. I tried several brands and none of the Egyptian wines were that good. The Egyptian Beer was excellent. Happy Sailing, Joy

Archived