What to do in Melbourne & Hobart

travel1

I have tried twice to contact the limo company for a quote on a limo tour to Healesville Sanctuary on March 22....but no reply.

Any hints? Can you help??

My apologies. I have given you the wrong website and have just phoned the company and now have the correct website. So sorry for the misinformation.

Here it is: http://www.vha.com.au/

Their email address: bookings @vha.com.au

Hope this helps.

Jennie

I have tried twice to contact the limo company for a quote on a limo tour to Healesville Sanctuary on March 22....but no reply.

My apologies. I have given you the wrong website and have just phoned the company and now have the correct website. So sorry for the misinformation.

Here it is: http://www.vha.com.au/

Their email address: bookings @vha.com.au

Hope this helps.

Jennie

My apologies. I am so sorry but I have given you the wrong website. I have just phoned the company and here is their website and email address.

http://www.vha.com.au/

bookings@vha.com.au

I hope this works for you.

Jennie

Hi You All

We have just returned from the SYD to AKL and it was fabulous! Cannot say enough about how great Australia & New Zealand were and the people are so friendly, we loved it.

That said, we used a tour company called robaltours.com.au in Melbourne - lady named Robyn Hollow (admin@robaltours.com.au) set us up with a van & driver - went to Puffing Billy, a winery, cathedral and then Healesville Sanctuary. You can just ask them for a tour to the Sanctuary though if that is what you want. They were really great - our driver even got to the port very early to make sure he had a good parking spot so we would not have to track far off to get to the van.

In Hobart we used showyoutasmania.com.au (heather@showyoutasmania.com.au), went to Russell Falls & Mt Field, top of Mt Wellington, then Richmond Villge and Salmanca Place - they were great too. We decided to skip the Somthing Wild she recommended since we went to Healesville, but someone on the ship went to Something Wild and said they had much more interaction with the animals - do not know the whole story, but at Healesville, we got to see them all sleeping -

Hope you all have a great trip too!

Debbie

Since my bride and I (of 48 yrs) tend to stay away from the ship's tours, what is your suggestions on trips or tours in Melbourne and Hobart. We aren't

into hiking, etc but can walk or snorkle. We will be in Melbourne 9Am to 6PM

on Feb 7, and Hobart 8 AM to 6AM on Feb 8th. Our first time to Australia.

Thanks in advance.

I have to concur with the responses that have already been sent. Healesville is the best sanctuary for native animals that we have been to. I also have to say that the CBD is a grid system and easy to navigate on either the tram or on foot. As a visitor to Melbourne many times since my wife is from there and we visit every two or three years, we enjoy the south bank along the Yarra along with the Victorian Arts Center on St. Kilda Road. The area to the west called the Docklands is also becoming filled with new shops, bistros and restaurants. It's west of the newer Telstra stadium. They've just extended the trams to the area from city center.

Its too bad you don't have more time as the great ocean road southwest of Melbourne and Geelong is a beautiful day trip by car along the rugged southern coastline of Victoria.

All I can say in summary is your appetite for Melbourne will be very fired up after one day in the city.

Enjoy the city.

Cheers, Ian:):):)

Debbie,

I am sorry all the animals were sleeping at Healesville. It was probably because it was warm and the koalas especially sleep during the day.

I am glad that you enjoyed our country and hope that you will return one day soon.

Jennie

Ian,

I agree with you, our Great Ocean Road is one of the most beautiful in the world. It is a pity that the cruise ships do not stay overnight and give the passengers two days here as there is so much to see and do.

We too love Southbank and enjoy walking along the river all the way to the Docklands. It has certainly opened up our city.

Jennie

Another way to spend a couple of hours seeing the sights in Melbourne is to hire a bike. I guess it depends on how active you are but check out www.rentabike.net.au. They have guided tours. We live close to the Yarra and often cycle - Melbourne has fantastic bike paths.

Just another suggestion.

Jane;)

Maureen

No, I cannot think of anything at all that I would not recommend. It was a truly fabulous trip, and you will have a great time. What you see is basically what will interest you - we wanted to see more of the scenery so we went off out of town some. One thing that really stands out too was the jet boat ride we did in Tauranga. Great fun.

One thing I did learn: we tried to pack too much into our day. We did not get to spend as much time as we would have liked at each stop since we were going to several places. I think in the future I will pick just one or two sites to see and then spend time and enjoy them.

We had two formal nights, which were plenty for us.

Debbie

Jennie

Yes, it was warm when we were there, but we enjoyed even so.

We certainly do plan to come back, next time we probably will do as mentioned, a land trip, so that we can spend more than part of one day in your area. Lots of places are interesting but we found the people to be the best part of our visit to your part of our world. Much to be admired down under!

Debbie

A capture from Sapphire Princess's bridge cam in Melbourne today...

gives a good idea of how close/far the city is from the dock.

Jennie,is the other ship the Roll on Roll off ferry, to Tasmania.

43g17aa.jpg

Dave,

It is indeed our ferry, the Spirit of Tasmania. We took our car with us in October, 2005 and it was a fun trip. Not quite like being on a HAL or a Princess ship but it was still comfortable. Saying that, I would prefer to fly and hire a car which we did in November, 2006 and will do again in October this year.

In summer it goes twice a day at the weekends. A day trip and an evening trip. Throughout the year it leaves at 9pm each night (an hour earlier when daylight saving isn't on) and arrives in Devenport at 7am next morning. As you know, Bass Strait can be one of the roughest pieces of water in the world but we were lucky when we were on her.

Jennie

I agree Jennie - I would much rather fly. I have done that trip many times and have never experienced a smooth sailing. Flying and hiring a car when you get there is the only way to go IMHO. Its also a pretty basic ship.

Jane;)

Hi, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and noting all the recommendations and link, so thanks to both of you for your invaluable information.

My question is that our cruiseship docks in Melbourne on 26th Dec (Boxing Day) - Is this a public holiday in Aus? Can you give an indication on what might be closed, where might be "quieter" than usual. Do you think there would be anything special going on etc.

We plan to explore on our own, using the free circle tram to move from place to place. Would like to have lunch at Newquay etc. We love the outdoors and strolling. Would shops be open/closed?

Any do's/don'ts on this particular day?

Many thanks Linda

yes boxing day is a public holiday.

The main event in mebourne on that day is the start of the boxxing day test(cricket) always a huge turnout.

I ma guessing the touristy things will be open but cannot say for sure.

there are a few posters from melbourne who will be able to give you an exact answer.

karon

Boxing Day in Melbourne is either spent at the cricket, beach or SHOPPING!!!:D . It is the biggest sale day of the year and the CBD gets packed. Shops and restaurants will be open as usual - it is a big business day for them. Public transport timetables won't affect you getting around.

I love being in Melbourne this time of the year - you will have a ball;) .

Jane;)

Boxing Day in Melbourne is either spent at the cricket, beach or SHOPPING!!! It is the biggest sale day of the year and the CBD gets packed. Shops and restaurants will be open as usual - it is a big business day for them. Public transport timetables won't affect you getting around.

I love being in Melbourne this time of the year - you will have a ball;) .

Jane;)

Jane, thank you, can't wait now!:) :)

I loved your recommendation for the Stokehouse at St Kilda's(found their website), but was worried that public transport might be limited, but definitely think we'll try and get a reservation and give it a go now;)

Don't forget to book for upstairs and ask for a table by the window. Donavans is also a fantastic place to eat. Enjoy!

Jane;)

Jane, we're English so Cricket:o is as important to us as it is to you Aussies, so when I gave my hubby the Boxing Day options, his first reaction was Cricket; but after a few glasses of wine, I have persuaded him that the Stokehouse (upstairs) is the place to be!:p I've yet to look up Donovans, that will be my next websearch:)

Thanks Linda

Archived