Queen Victoria to be P&O Arcadia & other ship changes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everybody ,

This is the first time I have popped over to the P&O boards ;) ---- YES we are thinking of an P&O cruise in 2005 ( it's a long way off ) and we have just got the new brochure . The appealing thing about the New Arcadia is --- a new ship& an adults only cruise . . The cruise we are intersted in is on the 4th November 2005 . It is a 16 night cruise. The flight for this cruise is a direct flight from Belfast to Barbados .NO stop over at Heathrow .

We have always cruised with RCL and enjoyed each cruise we have been on (all 20 nof them ) I am looking for some feedback on P&O cruise line . THe brochure reads well but there is nothing to like your opinion .

Thanks .

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, from a Holland American ship (this was suppose to the the last in the Vista Class Series) to the Queen Victoria and now Arcadia. Poor ship doesn't seem much loved! I can't imagine this ship won't be a bit confounded when she's done. Designed orginally for Holland American (with concessions since the Vista Class shares alot of their design with Carnival's Spirit/Costa's Altlantica Classes) then tweeked for Cunard and now modified again for P&O, there has to be some compromises in the end product!

As for Ocean Village, I really wish they would open her up to us North Americans, and aspects of it (except the nothing-but-buffets food) appeals to me. But then again, perhaps that's exactly what makes the British want to board her ;)

Rob

Looking at the deck plan (included in the new P&O brochure) it appears that two of the complaints of the Vista class had been addressed:

More restrooms on "public" decks, and self-self laundries added to accomodations decks.

• 2 weeks later...

We have the 2005 P&O Brochure and have booked a cruise to the Baltic in July.

We were attracted to this ship because we can get a good sized balcony cabin for a reasonable price and Arcadia is an "Adults Only" ship.

We have raised a family but now we are getting on I always prefer to cruise without children.

We have recently returned from a cruise on Oriana, to the Canaries. P&O offered free crusies for children, so naturally there were lots of ankle biters.

I have to say, there were only a few children who misbehaved and as the ship is a fair size you did not see that much of them.

I guess "adults" can be anyone over 18, so the passengers will not necessarily be the seniors like us.

We are looking forward to a cruise on this new ship and will post our impressions, eventually!

Anyone who has any questions about Oriana, please ask.

• 1 month later...
Wow, from a Holland American ship (this was suppose to the the last in the Vista Class Series) to the Queen Victoria and now Arcadia. Poor ship doesn't seem much loved! I can't imagine this ship won't be a bit confounded when she's done. Designed orginally for Holland American (with concessions since the Vista Class shares alot of their design with Carnival's Spirit/Costa's Altlantica Classes) then tweeked for Cunard and now modified again for P&O, there has to be some compromises in the end product!
Now for a conundrum. This news was released to the waiting world in April 2004. However, the new Arcadian brochure from P&O contains a timeline, which says:-

November 1999 Contract signed

December 2001 Designated Arcadia

So did P&O, Cunard, HAL and Carnival all know something that we didn't?

No, just an error.
A pretty big "error", though, unless there's some proper explanation for it.

It's the sort of thing which one might even consider to be a total fabrication for the purposes of making the ship look good to the punters - cover-up its chequered history.

• 3 weeks later...

From a P&O e-mail just read:-

Exciting news! As P&O Cruises prepares to introduce a brand new superliner in April next year, we are pleased to announce that Gary Rhodes will be creating a new restaurant on board called ‘Arcadian Rhodes’.

Currently being built in the Fincantieri shipyard, just outside of Venice, Arcadia will be Britain’s newest superliner. Boasting many on board innovations including a three tier theatre, the largest spa in the fleet and a vast array of modern art by contemporary British artists, she’ll take British cruising to new heights.

Famous for his British cuisine with a modern twist, Gary Rhodes is the perfect match for P&O Cruises newest addition. Meeting the Corporate Chef and touring another member of the fleet, Rhodes was shown the galleys and restaurants and introduced to the various dining experiences offered by P&O Cruises. Shortly after this visit, the concept of Arcadian Rhodes was born! Great news for P&O Cruises and future Arcadia passengers!

Creating the menu and a selection of signature dishes for the restaurant, Gary Rhodes will bring yet another taste of innovation on board Arcadia! The cuisine will reflect the whole Arcadia experience – authentic, proudly British, indulgent and always inventive! Like the superliner herself, the restaurant will be a byword for quality. Head here and you’ll be greeted with the most special of settings. Intimate and upmarket, the restaurant will combine culinary extravaganza with the most sumptuous of surroundings and spectacular sea views.

I got that info from an e-mail the other day, from P&O.

Second one I had received, something new for this side of the pond, at least for those of us out on the Left Coast.

Still hoping that they (P&O) will start doing some marketing over here. Been pretty sparse in the past.

We have booked on the new P&O ARcadia for July / August on the Mediterrean cruise. Like other posts, the adult only rule appeals a lot (so kids don't take over the pool!). It looks like an amzing ship with some amazing sounding restaurants! Gary

i'm doing the arcadia in may 20-05bon the mini cruise to rotterdam was gonna be amsterdam i thought, zeebrugge and guernsy. looking forward to it. going to venice imn a coupl;re of weeks to see if i can see her. i booked it online and have a balcony aft i've always wanted a cabin at the back. wheremin london do yopu live? i live in acton. only done 2 other cruises? i've done 30 qe2 in weeeks time. and black watch in december.seabourndt@aol.com

hi there so you live in chiswick just down the road./ would be nice to meet sometime and talk about our cruises when you are not busy. as i doing the qe2 nov 2nd and you've done her would be intersted in what you thought of her. what cabin have you got on arcadia i've got a balcny antnthe rear of the ship. always wanted one there.

david

As for Ocean Village, I really wish they would open her up to us North Americans, and aspects of it (except the nothing-but-buffets food) appeals to me. But then again, perhaps that's exactly what makes the British want to board her ;)

Rob

That's a bit rude. British people don't just like buffet food. I could be very rude about American food but prefer to keep my opinions to myself

Sorry, I mistyped. What I meant is that perhaps that fact that OC is only sold in the UK market was the appeal. I suppose if you wanted to cruise with a variety of nationalities there's a number of lines to choose from.

As for the food I suppose it's just taking a page from all inclusive resorts, mostly buffets and the occational sit-down meal served to you. No offence meant towards British food which has enough criticism hurled it's way (right or wrong)

I just like that OC seems active, the intineraries are interesting and that the entertainment is not your usually "gotta sing, gotta dance, hooray for broadway" reviews. I've cruised Carnival, NCL, RCL and Regal Cruises (now defunct) and enjoyed them all but none are a perfect fit for me.

Archived