Stopping in Cartegena

Casey2

We are consdering doing a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral in 11/07. The itinerary calls for a stop in Cartegena. Columbia is not listed on the Port of Call boards, nor does Princess currently list any excursions for this port. I have heard that Columbia is very dangerous. Does anyone know anything about this port?

We are consdering doing a Panama Canal cruise on the Coral in 11/07. The itinerary calls for a stop in Cartegena. Columbia is not listed on the Port of Call boards, nor does Princess currently list any excursions for this port. I have heard that Columbia is very dangerous. Does anyone know anything about this port?

I have been at this port on a cruise. We took a town tour. It wasn't dangerous but it was hot. Stay on a cruise line tour...IMO...

We made an unscheduled stop there due to a hurricane a couple of years ago and loved it, we booked a taxi to take us around and show us the town, we took the kids with us and because we were not planning didn't know much of what was there but had a good time, also bought a emerald at the place we went where they cut them.

Have fun and as long as you don't wonder around on your own you should be okay.

I was there in 2000(mainly done as a cheap place to refuel the ship) before they'd stop going to that port . Stay with a ships tour there. I do private tours but it's not the safest of places. The CD and the Captain was issuing warnings on the PA before we got there. The locals can be very aggressive.

It also is a port to be careful of taking a pictures of a locals...they will insist on payment from you. I didn't want a picture and these two large women in colorful costumes and fruit on their heads (like Carmen Miranda). Well, one grabbed my (twisted it) arm and insisted my friend take a picture then they

insisted I pay. I finally maneuvered to get nearer to a armed police/guard and they finally left. And this was in the middle of the area they take cruise passengers to shop (emeralds are a big must have here). It was scary...but just use common sense and you'll be OK. Would I go there again...No...I like to enjoy places and this was more like running a gauntlet. Stuff can happen anywhere...take as little as possible with you at this port and hopefully all will work out. Oh! Try the LonelyPlanet.com web site maybe you can at least get some information there.

the last time Princess stopped in Cartegena was late 2001 and they have since never gone back. IMHO, you will NOt be stopping in this port and it will be substituted witha longer stay in anotehr port such as Aruba etc. This is what has been happening on the Old Royal and recently on the Regal Princess while repositioning from South America.

It's a real shame as I liked this port a lot and did NOT find it unsafe as some have previously suggested.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

The last time we there, we saw teenaged boys, dressed in army uniforms carrying automatic weapons walking the sidewalks and streets keeping the venders from mobbing you.. IMO, Cartegena, while having some nice historical buildings and areas to see, is a place to stay on the ship..

The last time we there, we saw teenaged boys, dressed in army uniforms carrying automatic weapons walking the sidewalks and streets keeping the venders from mobbing you.. IMO, Cartegena, while having some nice historical buildings and areas to see, is a place to stay on the ship..

Oh come Larry with your thick skin ...you should be alright?;)

Tony

everytime i hear this port i think of the movie(romancing the stone with michael douglas),but its sounds like its a rough spot,ill have to remember this if we ever go there:)))i heard it was pretty asa far as scenery goes tho:));)

As I have previously posted on another thread:

On my "ship's tour" of Cartagena, I was acosted by one of the vendor's in the shopping area that Host Caroline spoke of. The man grabbed me and planted a full-on wet kiss on my lips. I was so shocked that I went to get my husband, who informed me that the bus driver on our tour was trying to sell him cocaine.

At the end of our tour, the tour guide told us not to be alarmed if the armed guards at the terminal boarded our bus with their drug smelling dogs. They are authorized to arrest and detain anyone that they suspect of drug smuggling.

I'm sure that most passengers have no problems, but you have no protection as a US citizen in Columbia. It is an interesting place to visit, but not at the risk of one's safety.

The Coral is scheduled for Cartagena on it's Jan and Feb 2007 Panama Cruises - this from the Princess website.

PS - I know how frugal you are Tony, and I know you wouldn't spend .50 per minute on your laptop when you can get it free in the internet cafe.

Ron

The Coral is scheduled for Cartagena on it's Jan and Feb 2007 Panama Cruises - this from the Princess website.

PS - I know how frugal you are Tony, and I know you wouldn't spend .50 per minute on your laptop when you can get it free in the internet cafe.

Ron

Ron, every year Princess always posts on theer website and brochures stops in Cartagena but always drop it a couple of weeks prior to sailing.

You obviously don't know me that well Ron then do you?...somethings the shy is the limit like good wine and access to the Internet!

Tony

Ron, every year Princess always posts on theer website and brochures stops in Cartagena but always drop it a couple of weeks prior to sailing.

You obviously don't know me that well Ron then do you?...somethings the shy is the limit like good wine and access to the Internet!

Tony

I know you well enough - HIGHROLLER!

Ron

Then perhaps you'd like to explain what the statement meant.

I just did ...read it twice over if you have to...to get it.

..."Crimes and violent crimes can happen anywhere... not just in Cartegena."

T.

I just did ...read it twice over if you have to...to get it.

..."Crimes and violent crimes can happen anywhere... not just in Cartegena."

T.

Interesting you chose the United States to make your point. It's a well known fact that Cartegena is a heavy drug-related crime area - that's why cruise ships don't stop there any more and the U.S. issues travel advisories against going there. Your suggestion that the same environment can be anywhere - illustrated by Los Angeles - implies that the U.S. has the same environment and takes the whole discussion out of context and as I said, is uncalled for. Perhaps you should have used your own country as an example next time.

I went to Cartegana for a week, stayed at the Hotel Caribe. I never felt unsafe. There is lot of shopping and restaurants, we took horse & carriage rides through the city several times, visited churches etc...

a really nice holiday, I'd go back.

Interesting you chose the United States to make your point. It's a well known fact that Cartegena is a heavy drug-related crime area - that's why cruise ships don't stop there any more and the U.S. issues travel advisories against going there. Your suggestion that the same environment can be anywhere - illustrated by Los Angeles - implies that the U.S. has the same environment and takes the whole discussion out of context and as I said, is uncalled for. Perhaps you should have used your own country as an example next time.

You've been watching way too much FOX TV!

I couldn't possibly use Canada as a relevant example because we are 34 million people vs 304 million in the States and therefore only have one tenth of your social problems at best.

There are many other parts of the World that Princess continues to call upon with there ships such as Aruba, Mexico, Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Miami all of which all have a reputation for violents crimes, drug problems/smuggling and a heaven for drug smugglers/runners.

Tony

Alas, nothing stays the same -- DW and I have been to Cartagena 4 or 5 times (dear me -- senior moment - at least four!) and had the most wonderful visit. The historic and cultural aspects were simply wonderful, the city was beautiful and there were no "bump and snatch" problems. DW had her favorite emerald store and would "stock up" with loose stones during our visit. As the song goes --- memories ---

Earl

It is common knowledge on these boards that Princess (and maybe other lines) continues to put Cartagena on the itineraries, but doesn't stop. I am curious, what advantage can that strategy have for the cruise line? There most be some reason. As a passenger, it is confusing.

It is common knowledge on these boards that Princess (and maybe other lines) continues to put Cartagena on the itineraries, but doesn't stop. I am curious, what advantage can that strategy have for the cruise line? There most be some reason. As a passenger, it is confusing.

Maybe bait and switch?:rolleyes:

Tony

Archived