Please allow one more clothing question...

lgarner

On most cruises (HAL, X, Princess) my DH takes a tux for formal nights, jacket with dressy silk mock turtle neck sweaters and dress slacks for informal nights, and golf shirt and casual slacks (kakhis etc.) for casual night. However, I see that Celebrity says tie for informal night but don't think he has taken ties on Celebrity before for informal - is this new or am I dreaming? Will he be out of place without a tie? He can take a tie with no problem - they don't take much room but his sweaters (very thin and light weight) take up less space then two starched long sleeve dress shirts that will be needed to go with the ties. Just wondering - we don't want to break the dress code.

Thanks.

Lisa

On most cruises (HAL, X, Princess) my DH takes a tux for formal nights, jacket with dressy silk mock turtle neck sweaters and dress slacks for informal nights, and golf shirt and casual slacks (kakhis etc.) for casual night. However, I see that Celebrity says tie for informal night but don't think he has taken ties on Celebrity before for informal - is this new or am I dreaming? Will he be out of place without a tie? He can take a tie with no problem - they don't take much room but his sweaters (very thin and light weight) take up less space then two starched long sleeve dress shirts that will be needed to go with the ties. Just wondering - we don't want to break the dress code.

Thanks.

Lisa

As on your other X cruises on Informal night, he will not be out of place without a tie. Although the web site defines informal as jacket AND tie, on our 11 X cruises in the last 4 years we have never seen "tie" mentioned in the Celebrity Daily. Always, "jacket and slacks."

Adherence to dress codes on Celebrity ships varies depending on the port of origin and length of cruise. Some people respect the following code, some people ignore it completely. The dress code is not enforced so individuals must decide for themselves how they wish to appear. My preference is to sail on a cruise line where people show respect for others by following the code. Others could not care less what other people think.

From the Celebrity website FAQs:

What are the onboard dress codes?

Subject: Dress Codes

You will need three types of clothing on your Celebrity cruise: casual shipboard attire or day wear, conservative port wear and eveningwear.

Daywear includes slacks or pants, blouses or shirts, knit tops or polo shirts. Bring a pair of sneakers or rubber-soled shoes for deck sports and a swimsuit cover-up for cool areas on the ship.

Port wear for women includes a casual dress, skirt and blouse, or pants outfit; for men, casual pants or walking shorts, and polo-type shirts. Comfortable walking shoes are a must.

Also, remember to bring extra bathing suits, as well as sun block, sun visors and other types of sun protection.

Eveningwear should be planned for according to the following evening dress schedule:

A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress.

On informal nights, men are requested to wear a jacket, shirt and tie, while women may want to wear a suit or dress.

For the formal nights, including the Captain's Welcome Aboard Cocktail Party, dinner on the second night, and the Captain's Farewell Dinner held the next-to-last night of the cruise; both men and women may prefer more dressy attire, such as an evening gown for women and a tuxedo or dress suit for men.

Celebrity Cruises has implemented a casual dining service on its five ships. Casual dining is offered most nights on every cruise, depending upon the itinerary, and is served in the Palm Springs Grill and pool area on the Mercury and at the Oasis Grill and pool area on the Galaxy. On the Zenith casual dining is offered in the Windsurf Cafe. On the Century casual dining is available in the Sky Bar. On our newest ships, casual dining is offered at the Seaside Grill and pool on the Constellation, the Oceanview Grill and pool area on the Infinity, the Ocean Grill on the Millennium and the Waterfall Grill on the Summit.

Adherence to dress codes on Celebrity ships varies depending on the port of origin and length of cruise. Some people respect the following code, some people ignore it completely. The dress code is not enforced so individuals must decide for themselves how they wish to appear. My preference is to sail on a cruise line where people show respect for others by following the code. Others could not care less what other people think.

From the Celebrity website FAQs:

That all sounds well and good, but the OP asked specifically about wearing a tie on informal nights and the Celebrity Daily is clear about no ties being requested AND a good percentage (50% or more) do NOT wear ties. So, no matter what the website says and you say, no ties are the code (as determined by the powers that be, including the oft-quoted "master of the vessel") on Celebrity Cruises.

Xcellent - we certainly mean no disrespect to other cruisers - in fact we always dress as the code says - just questioning if this was a change and if there is not some conflict with the directions in the daily. No need to get haughty. What cruise line do you sail on - since most have people wearing jeans and t-shirts in the dining room these days with no comments from the ship personnel? Just wondering.

ECCruise,

As on your other X cruises on Informal night, he will not be out of place without a tie. Although the web site defines informal as jacket AND tie, on our 11 X cruises in the last 4 years we have never seen "tie" mentioned in the Celebrity Daily. Always, "jacket and slacks."

Unfortunately, that changed on my most recent cruise ("Hawai'i" aboard GTs Infinity on 22 October 2006), where the dress code in "Celebrity Today" said that a necktie is required on "informal" evenings. Apparently somebody realized the inconsistency between "Celebrity Today" and both the web site and the precruise documentation and resolved it. I ended up buying a necktie for $10 in the ship's shops to wear on "informal" evenings. From now on, I will bring a necktie.

Norm.

I will continue to follow the stated dress code and wear both a necktie and a jacket if that is the code. I would PREFER, though, if informal nights only required one or the other. A gentleman in a dress shirt and tie with no jacket looks suitably sharp and "informal" to me. Likewise, a man with a dress shirt and jacket but no tie looks great, too...

Whereas the term "formal" has real cultural meaning (meaning that X's dress code does not necessarily honor), the term "informal" is nebulous and vague. I would prefer they allowed passengers a little leeway on these evenings within the spirit of the "informal" standard.

Hi Lisa:)

Just returned from Millennium. You will see all types of dress.

It might state certain things in the daily but

the bottom line is, some men wear ties and some don't.

As Chessbriar noted in his post:

"The addition of the tie is new, but I wouldn't expect it to be a problem as I have yet to witness any of the maitre'ds enforcing the dress code."

Hope you are feeling well Lisa and that 2007 brings you

good health:) (and cruises too;) )

lgarner,

Norm - were you told by someone on board that you needed to buy the tie?

Yes' date=' via "Celebrity Today" on the first day of the cruise.

By way of amplification, the definitions of dress codes had changed from my previous cruises. The definition of "informal" stated that both a sport coat and a necktie are [i']required[/i] for gentlemen. On my previous Celebrity cruises, the definitioon of "informal" had stated that the sport coat was required but that the necktie was optional.

Given such clear written communication from the master of the vessel, it is grossly inappropriate to ask a member of the staff, in person, whether the master really means it or not. And it is even less appropriate not to comply in the hope that the staff won't enforce it.

Norm.

Archived