Chef's Table?

crusingici

What is the Chef's Table?

I read a review of a cruise on Rhapsody and the reviewer mentioned a limited seating lunch, "Chef's Table Menu" as follows....I called RCL and the gal who answered did not know so asked someone else and that person did not know...... just curious now and also wondered if it is on the Grandeur?

***** quote********

Today they have a limited seating lunch called The Chef's Table for $29.95. It features:

Crabmeat & Asparagus au Gratin

in a savoury pastry shell

wine: Mont Gras Sauvignon Blanc

Oven Roasted Portobello Mushroom

with Balsamic marinated tomatoes, melted goat cheese

wine: pouilly-fuisse

Herb Crusts Petite Filet Mignon

with Fresh asparagus and truffle mashed potatoes

wine: Shiraz Rosemount Estate

Caramelized Banana Parfait

with amaretto cream, white chocolate and caramel sauce

We recently were on the Grandeur 13 day repo to NOLA from Baltimore, and never saw it. We had lunch in the dining room many times. Can't recall the name, I know it's not Chef's Special, it had some kind of clever name. They kind of promise you a quick and tasty lunch off the special lunch menu. It's a standard lunch menu, with different specials each day. The salads were wonderful. They seat you promptly, with others, and the service is prompt and pleasant.

What is the Chef's Table?

I read a review of a cruise on Rhapsody and the reviewer mentioned a limited seating lunch, "Chef's Table Menu" as follows....I called RCL and the gal who answered did not know so asked someone else and that person did not know...... just curious now and also wondered if it is on the Grandeur?

Crusingici,

There is a Chef's Table on the Rhapsody! I don't know about the Grandeur. We went to the Chef's Table on the Rhapsody in February and December of this year. The price varies but it was $29.95 plus gratuity in December. The menu was not the same in December as it was in February but the Chef was also different.

Thanks for trying to clarify this --- on another thread someone who has cruised Grandeur quite a bit said there are no specialty restaurants and did not know what the "Chef's Table" is..... so guess that is a "no" for the Grandeur.

So, Just Sailing, What IS the Chef's Table? A restaurant? or just a special menu choice for an extra charge in the main dining room?

Thanks! sounds interesting.....

So, Just Sailing, What IS the Chef's Table? A restaurant? or just a special menu choice for an extra charge in the main dining room?

Thanks! sounds interesting.....

Crusingici,

It is a special Culinary Event for a limited amount of guests held in the Edelweiss Dining Room on Saturday at 12:00 noon. :)

I have not been to one, but was already planning on looking for it on Rhapsody 1/7/07 because I had read about it in another thread. The other thread said that it was on the last sea day (which goes with what you said, justsailing) and it also says that you just have to watch your compass for it to sign up for it and that it is a great opportunity to meet the Chef, and other various kitchen staff and sometimes even the Captain. I was going to put a link to the other thread in here, but can't find it now...

Misti

They definitely had it on the Rhapsody last April. We did not do it, although we considered it. Your waiter or head waiter will tell you about it one evening during dinner, also it will be advertised in the Cruise Compass. I believe it is limited to 30 guests. Definitely a more upscale menu and each course is paired with a wine.

We may do it on our Cruise in two weeks.

Hypo

We did this event last September on Rhapsody and thoroughly enjoyed it!

The food was exquisitely paired with a nice wine for a couple of courses.

The part that I liked the very best was that ships staff rotated through the tables for each course. It was nice to be able to visit at leisure and very closely with them. I enjoyed the Captain and the Chef the best. The Director of Food and Beverage was quite enjoyable too.

We would definitely recommend it and sign up early. We plan to do the same event this next summer if they are continuing it on Rhapsody.

Have a safe and enjoyable New Year!

We recently were on the Grandeur 13 day repo to NOLA from Baltimore, and never saw it. We had lunch in the dining room many times. Can't recall the name, I know it's not Chef's Special, it had some kind of clever name. They kind of promise you a quick and tasty lunch off the special lunch menu. It's a standard lunch menu, with different specials each day. The salads were wonderful. They seat you promptly, with others, and the service is prompt and pleasant.

You are referring to the Brasserie Dining at lunch. If you order only a main course and dessert, telling the waiter you want the Brasserie lunch, you will be served and out of the dining room in 30 minutes. If you don't tell the waiter you want that lunch, they take their time serving as they do at dinner.

Katie

You are referring to the Brasserie Dining at lunch. If you order only a main course and dessert, telling the waiter you want the Brasserie lunch, you will be served and out of the dining room in 30 minutes. If you don't tell the waiter you want that lunch, they take their time serving as they do at dinner.

Katie

This is GREAT info to know! Thanks! If anyone else has hidden gems that the "average" newbie might not know - please share! We will try this Brasserie lunch for sure.

Thank you to those of you who explained the Chef's Table and now the Brasserie Dining.

Looks like I might have to try a different ship for the Chef's Table ;) one more excuse to cruise!

We did this event last September on Rhapsody and thoroughly enjoyed it!

The food was exquisitely paired with a nice wine for a couple of courses.

so, is the wine included in the meal or do you pay extra? also, do you know if they do this on the Radiance? Or is it just Rhapsody? This sounds like something my DH and I would really enjoy.

so, is the wine included in the meal or do you pay extra? also, do you know if they do this on the Radiance? Or is it just Rhapsody? This sounds like something my DH and I would really enjoy.

The wine was included in the price of the event.

I am unsure that it is on Radiance. It kind of sounded last September that it was unique to Rhapsody at that time. Wouldn't hurt to ask if it is something done when you are on Radiance. Maybe it would catch on fleetwide.

Does anyone have any idea if you can book this as soon as you get on the ship or do you have to wait until you see it in the compass?

I think you have to book it through your table waiter. ... But do like we did, we inquired before he ever offered the opportunity as we had seen it somewhere. I can't remember where though, but I do know we booked and paid for it the first night.

Archived