John J. Scherenga

PRINSENDAM

I am sad to have to inform this group that retired Hotel Manager John Scherenga passed away at his home in the Netherlands a few days ago.

'JJ' was an immensely popular Hotel Manager. He joined HAL back in the mid 1960's as a waiter on the old NIEUW AMSTERDAM... same day that Fekko Ebbens joined.

He was a great fellow and ran a good ship. One of the 'old school'with a keen and sarcastic wit. Completely fair in all matters, he was much loved by his crew

Sadly missed.

Stephen

Stephen...thanks for posting this news. I had an e-mail from Janny Weggemans (retired Purser) the day after JJ died and was hesitant to post the news so I'm pleased you did.

We first met JJ in the late 60's and got to know him very well while he was a steward in the 70's aboard the ss Rotterdam. He would always let my Mom go thru the Ocean Bar and sit in the Queens Lounge instead of standing in line for the Captain's Reception. We were all very pleased when he became HM on the Rotterdam and felt he well deserved the promotion.

He was the HM who presented me with my "first" Platinum Medallion in 1995 also aboard the ss Rotterdam...the one for sea miles and not days at sea.

JJ will be missed by all who knew him.

Stephen...thanks for posting this news. I had an e-mail from Janny Weggemans (retired Purser) the day after JJ died and was hesitant to post the news so I'm pleased you did.

We first met JJ in the late 60's and got to know him very well while he was a steward in the 70's aboard the ss Rotterdam. He would always let my Mom go thru the Ocean Bar and sit in the Queens Lounge instead of standing in line for the Captain's Reception. We were all very pleased when he became HM on the Rotterdam and felt he well deserved the promotion.

He was the HM who presented me with my "first" Platinum Medallion in 1995 also aboard the ss Rotterdam...the one for sea miles and not days at sea.

JJ will be missed by all who knew him.

Liz.....

I got my old copper from JJ and Jacob Dijk.... they hung it around my neck with the medal down the back!

I used to skip the line as well and creep through Ocean Bar to get to Queen's Room. Sometimes I never got any further than Ocean Bar! :D

On on evening, JJ, Dijk and the rest of the group came into Ocean bar for a quick breather before heading up to the dance floor to do the intros. JJ spotted me and gave me a right telling off.... "If we have to stand in that damn line then you can come through it as well!"

I hope Janny is doing well. Have not seen her since WC 1995!

Stephen

Stephen...Janny is doing very well back at her home in northern Holland. She came aboard the Maasdam in '05 to visit us when we were in Rotterdam and it was great to see her again. Ed Gassman was with us also, and I am sure you remember him as well.

Stephen...Janny is doing very well back at her home in northern Holland. She came aboard the Maasdam in '05 to visit us when we were in Rotterdam and it was great to see her again. Ed Gassman was with us also, and I am sure you remember him as well.

Liz,

Thanks for the update.

Ah... Ed! What a boy. Have not seen him since he was down here on the VOLENDAM I think... about four years ago.

Are you sailing in AMSTERDAM this year? 07 I mean!!!!

Stephen

He was our hotel manager on the Maasdam back in 1996 when we sailed the Baltic.

JJ's preferred ship was the ROTTERDAM of course. On one voyage I went ashore in St Thomas and had three T shirts made up at one of the local shop. That afternoon, three of us... myself, Hansi and a guy named Reg appeared in the lido wearing shirt that read...

"ITS BETTER ON THE ROTTERDAM"

JJ was tickled pink over that one. I know Hansi once wore the shirt on board another HAL ship just to 'annoy' the HM there!

Stephen

Such fond memories of Hansi Bratt too!! Such wonderful memories.

I think the last time you might have seen Ed Gassman was in Sydney on our 2001 WC. And. no. unfortunately we will not be on the 2007 WC but on the Noordam to celebrate my January birthday. Sure would love to see Fekko and Willem Regalink for the last time as I've known them for years.

Thank you for the information on JJ, Stephen. I certainly do remember him from the "old" Rotterdam. He introduced me to Long Island Iced Tea one night when he was making it by the bucketful for a party in the Ritz Carlton. I was the official tester. :D

Archived