Room Attendant Salaries

Originally Posted by Cruiz'nTall

You label me as trying to come off as intellectually superior (which, I am not, but if you think so I can't help that) and then you go on to quote Chandler Byng?? You can't make this stuff up...

Perhaps I should explain what the expression "tongue in cheek" means. Save yourself another snotty retort for my benefit. You're entirely too predictable.

Snotty is as snotty does. Perhaps you should look at how many fingers are pointing back at you when you stick that finger out at me. It might help to actually have been on atleast one cruise for you to take such a passionate stance on this topic, but then again, I guess that is a snotty retort too.

It's not easy being snotty...

Right - and people constantly complain about the size. Imagine if it were even smaller.
I don't recall ever complaining.

Anyway, I and millions of Americans like me have managed to live for extended periods in college dorm rooms at least as small as an interior on a cruise ship without it being considered an undue hardship.

I don't recall ever complaining.

Anyway, I and millions of Americans like me have managed to live for extended periods in college dorm rooms at least as small as an interior on a cruise ship without it being considered an undue hardship.

Living in a dorm room is nothing like living on a ship and being at sea for 6 months out of the year with no ability to see your family and working 7 days a week.

Originally Posted by Cruiz'nTall

You label me as trying to come off as intellectually superior (which' date=' I am not, but if you think so I can't help that) and then you go on to quote Chandler Byng?? You can't make this stuff up...

[/i']

Perhaps I should explain what the expression "tongue in cheek" means. Save yourself another snotty retort for my benefit. You're entirely too predictable.

Snotty is as snotty does. Perhaps you should look at how many fingers are pointing back at you when you stick that finger out at me. It might help to actually have been on atleast one cruise for you to take such a passionate stance on this topic, but then again, I guess that is a snotty retort too.

It's not easy being snotty...

Not that it's any of your business but my family and I have been cruising since 1989. I didn't realize it was a prerequisite to posting that I announce that fact. It is amazing to me how people like yourself who blather on and on simply to hear (or in this case see) themselves speak make assumptions such as that one. Proof positive that you should go back and read every one of your posts in this thread objectively and then (possibly) understand why some of us are offended by your attitude. The bottom line on this post is that your comparisons are invalid because listen up, THE COST OF LIVING IN THE COUNTRIES THAT A MAJORITY OF THE CREWMEMBERS COME FROM IS FAR LOWER THAN IN NORTH AMERICA. That's why these jobs and the amount of money they receive is highly desired by them. I'm gone!

[QUOTE=Cruiz'nTall]Tatka, I don't think $2000 is nothing in the US. There are many, many people here living on MUCH less then that. How much do you think someone working at Walmart makes? Or someone who works in lower level healthcare? Or even minimum wage? Not $2000 a month, for sure.

[/QUOTE]

I live in Massachusetts and with our real estate and other prices $2000 seems to be very low (Specially around Boston)...And yes 8 years ago when I just got to US I was making $8.25 per hour for the first 9 month (which was of course even lower than $2000) but I didn't have other choice ... I had to learn English. I can't imagine living on this amount on constant basis. (Even my 52 years old parents who got here 5 years ago are making more).

Anyway...who prevents those poor things working in Wall-Mart from going to college. For me it was always difficult to understand what people with an English as a first language are doing on welfare or working low paid jobs.

Difference between them and people working on the ships is that in other countries currently college/university/post grad education doesn't help you to make money.

[font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

Sorry you don't find it rather ironic that a professional job pays only slightly more than waiting tables. I'm certainly not complaining about my teaching salary -- I was aware of the salary limitations when I took the job, and it would be wrong to complain now -- instead, I'm saying that the crew aren't doing too badly if they can earn almost the same amount for a job that requires only on-the-job training.

As for living quarters, I didn't compare them to my current home: 2600 sf, nice one acre lot, only four people living here. Believe me, I am very aware that good opportunities have been place in front of me, and through hard work, I have reaped financial blessings. However, if you read my post again, you'll see that I compared the crew's living situation to the college DORMS in which I lived for years. Very small, limited choice of roommate, bathroom down the hall. Yet I was not unhappy there, and I did have the choice to go live somewhere else -- just as the cruise ship crew has the choice to leave their employment, if they choose.

As for living away from family, don't you know other people whose jobs take them away from their families? My brother was away for 2.5 years without a visit while he served in the military (and by the way, he slept on triple bunks onboard Navy ships that'd make the crew's quarters look luxurious). My husband is routinely sent away for weeks at a time for his job. And again, you are operating under the assumption that this is a hardship for everyone! I know plenty of people who WANT to move away from their families -- especially at young ages, like most of the crew.

Finally, I don't know why you're talking about taxes in your reply to me. Having no information on other country's tax structures, I didn't say anything about the subject. Makes me wonder if you even read my post all the way through.

I stand by what I said before (which has little to do with your responses):

Tip for good service; don't tip for bad service.
Don't tip because you feel pity for someone.

[QUOTE=Cruiz'nTall]Living in a dorm room is nothing like living on a ship and being at sea for 6 months out of the year with no ability to see your family and working 7 days a week.[/QUOTE]Living in a dorm room is a lot like living on a ship, except they get to go to different places and it's warm all year.

It's working on a ship that's not a lot like going to college.

<<<<<Anyway...who prevents those poor things working in Wall-Mart from going to college. For me it was always difficult to understand what people with an English as a first language are doing on welfare or working low paid jobs. >>>>

I completely agree. In America EVERYONE has opportunities, but not everyone takes advantage of those opportunities.

I realize that I am very, very blessed to have been born in America -- the land of opportunity. I am also very, very blessed to have been born with a healthy body, a good mind, and to have had a mother who raised me with a sense of responsibility and a positive work ethic. However, that's where the blessings stop and the hard work begins. I come from a too-large family with an alcoholic, deadbeat dad. Instead of sitting back and saying, "Oh, no one can pay for my college tuition, so I'll just work at Walmart and complain about it", I worked my way through college. It was worth every bit of effort I put into it.

I suspect that many crew members have a similar attitude: Working on a cruise ship is a tough job, but it is the best paying choice I have right now. I'll do this for a couple years, save money, then fulfill my dream of ______. I have nothing but respect for anyone who makes such choices.

[quote name='Tatka']Nobody is rushing to apply because $2000 is nothing in US...but believe me it's huge in Eastern Europe, Aisa etc.[/QUOTE]

$2K a month is nothing? Really? darn - I'd love to be making that!

And yes, Americans DO work on the cruise ships - on our last crusie I met some nice kids from Indiana and Montana. It's a great way to travel for cheap! So quarters are small - ever live in Mahattan?

As for being away from your family for months at a time -- how often to you see your family members? I've seen my brother and sisters, nieces and nephews 2, maybe 3 times in the last 6 months. And we all live on the East Coast. Being "away" from your family is not really a big deal.

Would I work on cruise ship for 6 months at a time doing the work they do? SURE !! If only I didn't get so seasick :-). Actually, my current boss used to work for a cruiseline....

[quote name='goodml']Not that it's any of your business but my family and I have been cruising since 1989. I didn't realize it was a prerequisite to posting that I announce that fact. It is amazing to me how people like yourself who blather on and on simply to hear (or in this case see) themselves speak make assumptions such as that one. Proof positive that you should go back and read every one of your posts in this thread objectively and then (possibly) understand why some of us are offended by your attitude. The bottom line on this post is that your comparisons are invalid because listen up, THE COST OF LIVING IN THE COUNTRIES THAT A MAJORITY OF THE CREWMEMBERS COME FROM IS FAR LOWER THAN IN NORTH AMERICA. That's why these jobs and the amount of money they receive is highly desired by them. I'm gone![/QUOTE]
Most people who post here indicate what cruises they have embarked on in the past - hardly seems like a secritive famly affair...wonder why you bother posting here if you don't like to discuss your previous cruising experiences.

Second of all, you make wild, biased assumptions not based in fact. Cost of living varies wildly across the globe. You assume that cost of living must be lower in a developing or second or third world country - but if you actually did some reading on the topic, instead of pompously making assumtpions, you would know that cost of living is actually higher in a lot of developing countries. Countries where the population has exploded, realestate is at a premium (Europe has been paying $5.00 a gallon for gas for the last 20 years...we complain about $2.00 gas). Electronics are outrageously expensive because they are imported in a lot of developed countries. The difference, is the living standard - most are forced to live at a lower standard because of expense - not the other way around.

[quote name='LittleBit']$2K a month is nothing? Really? darn - I'd love to be making that!

And yes, Americans DO work on the cruise ships - on our last crusie I met some nice kids from Indiana and Montana. It's a great way to travel for cheap! So quarters are small - ever live in Mahattan?

As for being away from your family for months at a time -- how often to you see your family members? I've seen my brother and sisters, nieces and nephews 2, maybe 3 times in the last 6 months. And we all live on the East Coast. Being "away" from your family is not really a big deal.

Would I work on cruise ship for 6 months at a time doing the work they do? SURE !! If only I didn't get so seasick :-). Actually, my current boss used to work for a cruiseline....[/QUOTE]
Well, I will agree with your first statement. I know many who work for less then $2000. As a graduate student I live on less then half that. I know residents who are working at hospitals on a $20,000 stipend....

Having family that live on another coast that you don't see often is not the same as being a foreigner living in a foreign place without even much opportunity to call your loved ones. I am sure that somewhere there are Americans working on cruise ships - but they are the exception. The wide, overwhelming majority are foreigners.

The cruiseline industry is romanticised because of our perspective on being the customer, not the server. It is a much different lifestyle on the other side of the towel monkey...

[QUOTE=Cruiz'nTall]Most people who post here indicate what cruises they have embarked on in the past - hardly seems like a secritive famly affair...wonder why you bother posting here if you don't like to discuss your previous cruising experiences.

Second of all, you make wild, biased assumptions not based in fact. Cost of living varies wildly across the globe. You assume that cost of living must be lower in a developing or second or third world country - but if you actually did some reading on the topic, instead of pompously making assumtpions, you would know that cost of living is actually higher in a lot of developing countries. Countries where the population has exploded, realestate is at a premium (Europe has been paying $5.00 a gallon for gas for the last 20 years...we complain about $2.00 gas). Electronics are outrageously expensive because they are imported in a lot of developed countries. The difference, is the living standard - most are forced to live at a lower standard because of expense - not the other way around.[/QUOTE]

Proving you grip on economics! :D Man, is that land expensive in the Sudan. Of course, it is hard to prove you claim when the warlord shows up in your driveway in his technical vehicle with machine gun. You are right though that Europe is a struggling developing continent, just don't tell them. :D Keep spouting this stuff I have read as many funny statements in over a week by a poster. I love the assumption on a travel forum that most of the people you are ranting at have travelled all over the world, and have a pretty good idea of the standards of living in other places. :rolleyes: Keep trying, if you go long enough you might accidentally string words together forming a cogent thought.

jc

[quote name='MrsPete']Sorry you don't find it rather ironic that a professional job pays only slightly more than waiting tables. I'm certainly not complaining about my teaching salary -- I was aware of the salary limitations when I took the job, and it would be wrong to complain now -- instead, I'm saying that the crew aren't doing too badly if they can earn almost the same amount for a job that requires only on-the-job training.

As for living quarters, I didn't compare them to my current home: 2600 sf, nice one acre lot, only four people living here. Believe me, I am very aware that good opportunities have been place in front of me, and through hard work, I have reaped financial blessings. However, if you read my post again, you'll see that I compared the crew's living situation to the college DORMS in which I lived for years. Very small, limited choice of roommate, bathroom down the hall. Yet I was not unhappy there, and I did have the choice to go live somewhere else -- just as the cruise ship crew has the choice to leave their employment, if they choose.

As for living away from family, don't you know other people whose jobs take them away from their families? My brother was away for 2.5 years without a visit while he served in the military (and by the way, he slept on triple bunks onboard Navy ships that'd make the crew's quarters look luxurious). My husband is routinely sent away for weeks at a time for his job. And again, you are operating under the assumption that this is a hardship for everyone! I know plenty of people who WANT to move away from their families -- especially at young ages, like most of the crew.

Finally, I don't know why you're talking about taxes in your reply to me. Having no information on other country's tax structures, I didn't say anything about the subject. Makes me wonder if you even read my post all the way through.

I stand by what I said before (which has little to do with your responses):

Tip for good service; don't tip for bad service.
Don't tip because you feel pity for someone.[/QUOTE]
Your trying to compare a service job that requires long labour hours 7 days a week to a professional job that is qualitatively different in nature and requires 9 months of work for 12 months of salary. My wife fills her 3 months of off time by lecturing at a university to [font=Times New Roman][size=3]Supplement her income. It is not my fault that you choose to not pursue other employment opportunites in that time that would further enhance your income. [/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]I find almost amuzing that you and others keep trying to draw comparisons between fundamentally different things. A college dorm room is a temporary living quarters. You know it is temporary and you have other places to go - visiting your family or friends. There is no freedom on a ship. Those quarters are your only privacy. It is much easier for you to speculate that cruise employees can leave their employment if they want too - just like children overseas can leave their sweat shop factory where they make 25 cents an hour if they want to. My point here is that they don't have the same choices we do.[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Your discussion regarding being away from your family is again rooted in a fundamental lack of understanding for an alternative perspective. Family values across the globe are much different then in the US. Foreigners tend to have very tight-nit family structures and being away from them for extened periods of time is much different then not seeing your brother for 2 and a half years. Perhaps that doesn't bother you - but it takes its toll on them because there family means more to them at a qualitatively different level.[/size][/font]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3]How many of you know anyone who actually works for a cruiseline. I don't mean someone you've briefly spoken to or are an aquaintence with, I mean actually communicate with on some regular interval? Next time you are on a cruise, talk to some of these folks and get to know them. Your perspective will change.[/size][/font]

Ah a gradual student. I figured it had to be something like that. When you matriculate out of that stage of life, and develop some real understanding about the "real world" maybe you can come back and we can have an intelligent conversation on this topic. Of course, depending on your course of study, you may be too far gone to ever have a realistic view of the world.

jc

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/member.php?u=105344"]Cruiz'nTall[/url].....I have read all of your post, but after it all & I mean all, what exactly is your point? What do you want the cruiseline/passengers/etc....to do? What is it that you are looking for that would make this all better? What is the fix? What is the answer?
Why are you so focused on the cruiseship employee's and not other human right's issues throughout the world? For issues that are of a real burning nature I dont think that cruiseline employee's have it that bad, all things being equal.
In the end, I do not think the ships employee's are going to bed at night hating their life, I am sure there are some that are unhappy with their job, but thats life, not everyone loves their job.

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Proving you grip on economics! :D Man, is that land expensive in the Sudan. Of course, it is hard to prove you claim when the warlord shows up in your driveway in his technical vehicle with machine gun. You are right though that Europe is a struggling developing continent, just don't tell them. :D Keep spouting this stuff I have read as many funny statements in over a week by a poster. I love the assumption on a travel forum that most of the people you are ranting at have travelled all over the world, and have a pretty good idea of the standards of living in other places. :rolleyes: Keep trying, if you go long enough you might accidentally string words together forming a cogent thought.

jc[/QUOTE]
^ Case in point. Thanks.

[QUOTE=Cruiz'nTall]Well, I will agree with your first statement. I know many who work for less then $2000. As a graduate student I live on less then half that. I know residents who are working at hospitals on a $20,000 stipend....
[/QUOTE]
Do you or these people plan to live on $2000 for the rest of their lives? I hope not. Do you have family, kids?

Explain me how can family pay rent/mortgage of $1,500, child care about the same (for 1 child, ok you can still find $1,000 but it's shorter hours), etc.
I don't even want to start about dental care and medical expences (should they occur) ...And I didn't even start about food, utilities etc.

[quote name='Tatka']I live in Massachusetts and with our real estate and other prices $2000 seems to be very low (Specially around Boston)...And yes 8 years ago when I just got to US I was making $8.25 per hour for the first 9 month (which was of course even lower than $2000) but I didn't have other choice ... I had to learn English. I can't imagine living on this amount on constant basis. (Even my 52 years old parents who got here 5 years ago are making more).

Anyway...who prevents those poor things working in Wall-Mart from going to college. For me it was always difficult to understand what people with an English as a first language are doing on welfare or working low paid jobs.

Difference between them and people working on the ships is that in other countries currently college/university/post grad education doesn't help you to make money.

[/QUOTE]
Tatka, whether you realize it or not, we are arguing the same things. A lot of foreign developing counries have a much higher literacy rating then the US does (Iraq has an astounding 98 percent literacy rating - the US is something like in the high 60's). The difference is opportunities - they don't have them - we do and we squander them. My reaction on here was towards those that judge these people for their occupation and this sentiment that they should feel lucky for what they have.

I think it is the other way around.

[quote name='xpcdoojk']Ah a gradual student. I figured it had to be something like that. When you matriculate out of that stage of life, and develop some real understanding about the "real world" maybe you can come back and we can have an intelligent conversation on this topic. Of course, depending on your course of study, you may be too far gone to ever have a realistic view of the world.

jc[/QUOTE]
So this is what I am talking about exactly. This pompous, arrogant and unwarrented patronizing perspective.

I am an older graduate student. I have been living in the real world all of my life. My father came to this country with an advanced degree in mechanical engineering with a 20 year navy background and was forced to work at a donut shop, or serving people in a caffeteria or washing dishes until he, through sheer determination learned the English language and worked 3 jobs until he finally got a job that matched his skill. My family has fought through hardship, and descrimination. I have no sympathy for those that take everything that has been given to them and take it for granted.

I suspect I know much more about the real world then you ever will.

[quote name='Tatka']Do you or these people plan to live on $2000 for the rest of their lives? I hope not. Do you have family, kids?

Explain me how can family pay rent/mortgage of $1,500, child care about the same (for 1 child, ok you can still find $1,000 but it's shorter hours), etc.
I don't even want to start about dental care and medical expences (should they occur) ...And I didn't even start about food, utilities etc.[/QUOTE]
Tatka, not everyone lives in [color=black][font=Times New Roman][size=3]Massachusetts where the cost of living is one of the highest in the US. And, your point is well taken - most live on an amount like this or even less. Why do you think there are so many people on welfare in this country? What is the motivation to work when you can earn poverty level for nothing?[/size][/font][/color]
[color=black][font=Times New Roman][size=3][/size][/font][/color]
[color=black][/color]

[QUOTE=Cruiz'nTall]Tatka, whether you realize it or not, we are arguing the same things. A lot of foreign developing counries have a much higher literacy rating then the US does (Iraq has an astounding 98 percent literacy rating - the US is something like in the high 60's). The difference is opportunities - they don't have them - we do and we squander them. My reaction on here was towards those that judge these people for their occupation and this sentiment that they should feel lucky for what they have.

I think it is the other way around.[/QUOTE]

The problem with posting BS is that the readers in this forum are pretty bright. So, I did a little quickie search on yahoo and guess what I found this cool little chart.

Literacy Spectrum
--------------------
Britain 100.00%
Germany 100.00%
Japan 100.00%
Switzerland 100.00%
New Zealand 99.80%
Australia 99.50%
Canada 99.00%
Russia 99.00%
France 99.00%
South Korea 97.40% 87.6%
Italy 97.40%
U.S. 95.50% 99.5% (UN) 97% (Newsweek 4/16/01)
Mongolia 95.00%
Philippines 94.00% 83.3
Thailand 93.80% 88.0
Taiwan 93.20%
Maldives 92.60%
Vietnam 91.90%
Singapore 91.60% 82.9
Hong Kong 91.20% 77.3
Mexico 90.30% 83.0
Fiji 90.10%
Malaysia 89.30%
Sri Lanka 89.30%
Brunei 89.20%
Indonesia 84.40%
Laos 83.90%
Brazil 82.10%
Myanmar 82.00%
Turkey 81.90%
South Africa 80.60%
China 80.00% 81.5% (Newsweek 4/16/01)
Macau 74.80%
Kenya 74.50%
P.N. Guinea 69.70%
Iran 64.90%
Saudi Arabia 64.10%
Nigeria 52.50%
India 52.10% 39.1
Egypt 50.00%
Black SAf 50.00% CG95
Bhutan 40.90%
Cambodia 37.80%
Bangladesh 36.60%
Pakistan 35.70% 25.2
Afghanistan 31.60%
Nepal 27.00%
Niger 13.00% CG95
(UN figures from United Nations Statistical Yearbook 37th ed)

So worst case scenario the US is at 95.5% literacy rates. I hope you are more accurate in your other hard held beliefs. :D :rolleyes:

jc

PS I learned in school that a personal belief is really only an opinion, you might want to cogitate on that. Nah... just keep the BS flowing, eventually you will string something together that makes sense.

Have a nice weekend all, I am out of here.

[QUOTE=Cruiz'nTall]Tatka, whether you realize it or not, we are arguing the same things. A lot of foreign developing counries have a much higher literacy rating then the US does (Iraq has an astounding 98 percent literacy rating - the US is something like in the high 60's). The difference is opportunities - they don't have them - we do and we squander them. My reaction on here was towards those that judge these people for their occupation and this sentiment that they should feel lucky for what they have.

I think it is the other way around.[/QUOTE]I think it's both. ;)

They are educated (well I don't know about Iraq) but at the same time they should feel lucky to have opportunity to earn these $$$ because it's quite annoying when you have skills, education, willingness to work hard in your own country and there are simply no jobs for you or they are very low paid....

IMHO we all should pay suggested tips for good (!!!) service, but we don't have to feel guilty when we read that somebody paid more. Suggested amount is a very good amount and shouldn't be compared to $$ we are paying as tips here in the US. (I used to make $2/hour even $1/hour as a private Math tutor in and $50/month as a full time teacher..you just can't compare it to what teachers get here in US )

[quote name='Tromler'][url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/member.php?u=105344"]Cruiz'nTall[/url].....I have read all of your post, but after it all & I mean all, what exactly is your point? What do you want the cruiseline/passengers/etc....to do? What is it that you are looking for that would make this all better? What is the fix? What is the answer?
Why are you so focused on the cruiseship employee's and not other human right's issues throughout the world? For issues that are of a real burning nature I dont think that cruiseline employee's have it that bad, all things being equal.
In the end, I do not think the ships employee's are going to bed at night hating their life, I am sure there are some that are unhappy with their job, but thats life, not everyone loves their job.[/QUOTE]
Tromler, you make an excellent observation. My post has morphed into a long philosophical arguement and that was not my intention.

My intention was never to coerce people into tipping more on a cruise ship, or anything of that nature. I was reacting to an insensitivity for the perspective of the foreign worker expressed by rsinj regarding what they should and should not be thankful for.

I just don't appreciate that perspective. I admire respect of ones perspective, and those of others who might wear very different shoes then you do, but in the end are really no different then you and me. They simply weren't as lucky to have the same liberties, and opportunities as people born in the US. This egocentrism is what I was reacting too.

Your point is well taken - and as such - I am going to end this discussion since it really is, I think, a downer, eh?

[quote name='Tatka']I think it's both. ;)

They are educated (well I don't know about Iraq) but at the same time they should feel lucky to have opportunity to earn these $$$ because it's quite annoying when you have skills, education, willingness to work hard in your own country and there are simply no jobs for you or they are very low paid....

IMHO we all should pay suggested tips for good (!!!) service, but we don't have to feel guilty when we read that somebody paid more. Suggested amount is a very good amount and shouldn't be compared to $$ we are paying as tips here in the US. (I used to make $2/hour even $1/hour as a private Math tutor in and $50/month as a full time teacher..you just can't compare it to what teachers get here in US )[/QUOTE]
My point exactly. I don't disagree with any of that. My post never really had anything to do with tipping amounts; I tip what I think is fair -but at the same time I know that even if my room isn't perfect - or if that towel monkey isn't quite right - these people work hard for their earnings. People complain about the stupidist things and then don't tip because of them.

I actually read a post on here by someone who was upset that there was a towel monkey on her bed with her boyfriends sunglasses on it. "How dare someone touch my persoonal things..."

That understanding (or lack thereof) is what I am talking about.

Archived