Noordam-balcony door?

parrottheadrn

On noordam, they open to the balcony. They are not sliding doors and won't stand open by themselves, they are equiped with a closure device. One thing to keep in mind, you may receive a notice the night before that there will be maintenance done; make sure you lock the door during the maintenance window as the crew goes along opening all the partitions which then leaves your room unsecure (not so much worried about the crew as other passengers).

On noordam, they open to the balcony. They are not sliding doors and won't stand open by themselves, they are equiped with a closure device. One thing to keep in mind, you may receive a notice the night before that there will be maintenance done; make sure you lock the door during the maintenance window as the crew goes along opening all the partitions which then leaves your room unsecure (not so much worried about the crew as other passengers).

So does that mean you can't sleep with the door open? Is there any way to keep it open?

We had sliders on the Spirit, FYI.

Thanks!

Hi Cruisers,

On our Zuiderdam 2004 cruise we were in an SS suite 6070 and the balcony door opened out and needed help to stay open.

Next time on the Zuiderdam in 2005 in a SB suite 6088 our door had a mechanism that keep it open and you needed to pull hard to close the door. Hope our SB suite on the Noordam has a door that doesn't need help. Just in case, we have always packed a bungee cord. Love to have the door open to the sea breezes. The only time we close it is when we are not in suite or rough seas.

Happy cruising!!!!

Fireflygal

One of the reasons the balcony door can't stay open on it's own is because it's supposed to be shut. Leaving it open can screw up the air conditioning in every other cabin on the same line---including outside and inside cabins!

As a cave-dweller I really appreciate the air.

I agree with Ruthc and Randyk47 as well. The AC will be screwed up not only in your stateroom, but everyone else's as well if you leave the balcony door open. If I remember correctly, there is a note that states this in your cabin.

Prinsendam has sliders - all other HAL ships have doors that swing.

Folks get up in arms about AC problems on their ship - its usually because someone or a group of people in nearby stateroom(s) propped their doors open....

I learned what a bad idea this was on my first cruise when I propped the door open all night and awoke to rain inside my suite! (condensation from the humid outside air on the AC vents & ceiling dripping down on us in bed) What a mess!:o

The doors are designed to close themselves for a reason. Please use your bungies for other things instead.

Hi Cruisers,

We all book our choice of staterooms for different reasons, I book a balcony room to be able to open the door for fresh air. When I open the door the ac goes off. Yes, there is a sign in the room about keeping the door closed. Let's face it, you cannot easily open the front door with the balcony door open.

My DH and I have asthma and use our AC year round. Believe it or not, on a cruise we have less problems with asthma. However, I feel that with AC I need to refresh our room with clean, fresh air. We are early risers and like to spend time on our balcony. While I'm out there, I'm not closing the door. On a cruise, how long are you in your room during the day. Not long with all the things to do on a ship. At night before bed is another favorite time to spend on the balcony, except for rough seas. At night I like the door open for air, but in the am when I wake the balcony door is closed, so it must have been my DH or a HAL gremlin who closed it.

Like a lot of women, when I curl my hair I can't have the balcony door open. So all in all my balcony door isn't open that much. My door to my stateroom gets open more times during the day than my balcony door between DH and I, room steward, breakfast delivery, tea time delivery, laundry delivery, etc., etc.

Fireflygal

Hi Cruisers,

We all book our choice of staterooms for different reasons, I book a balcony room to be able to open the door for fresh air. When I open the door the ac goes off. Yes, there is a sign in the room about keeping the door closed. Let's face it, you cannot easily open the front door with the balcony door open.

My DH and I have asthma and use our AC year round. Believe it or not, on a cruise we have less problems with asthma. However, I feel that with AC I need to refresh our room with clean, fresh air. We are early risers and like to spend time on our balcony. While I'm out there, I'm not closing the door. On a cruise, how long are you in your room during the day. Not long with all the things to do on a ship. At night before bed is another favorite time to spend on the balcony, except for rough seas. At night I like the door open for air, but in the am when I wake the balcony door is closed, so it must have been my DH or a HAL guardian angel who closed it.

Like a lot of women, when I curl my hair I can't have the balcony door open. So all in all my balcony door isn't open that much. My door to my stateroom gets open more times during the day then my balcony door between DH and I, room steward, breakfast delivery, tea time delivery, laundry delivery, etc., etc.

Fireflygal

I keep my balcony door open more than not, too, Fireflygal. :)

At one point, Dom opened up the cabin door to let our room steward in, and the little fella got blown against the wall. :eek:

BTW: I had the same thing happen in the middle of the night....a little HAL Elf closed the door! I LOVE to sleep to the sound of the ocean;)

Archived