HAL returns to Rotterdam

wvdleek

Just heard on TV news that Holland America Line returns its European

Head-Office to Rotterdam.

36 years ago (in 1971) they left, but within two months (according to

Rotterdam's Mayor Ivo Opstelten), they will open the European Head-Office in a building next to Hotel New York.

Did anyone also see a statement made by HAL?

Till now it seems to be only Mr. Opstelten who made this public.

It would be nice to see HAL back in Rotterdam.

There were plans that HAL Spijkenisse would get office space on the s.s. Rotterdam.

I think they are now going to the Montevideo building as the return of the s.s. Rotterdam is delayed by many months.

Lease in Spijkenisse ended ? ?

Maybe it'll be "nice" for those of you in the Netherlands, but it will certainly make communications more difficult for the largest percentage of their customers and TAs. Maybe that's what they're trying to do ... get away from all the pesky phone calls from customers. :confused:

There were plans that HAL Spijkenisse would get office space on the s.s. Rotterdam.

I think they are now going to the Montevideo building as the return of the s.s. Rotterdam is delayed by many months.

Lease in Spijkenisse ended ? ?

That is what I was thinking. Therefore my questions regarding any statements from HAL.

So that news is not that shocking after all....

Just heard on TV news that Holland America Line returns its European

Head-Office to Rotterdam.

36 years ago (in 1971) they left, but within two months (according to

Rotterdam's Mayor Ivo Opstelten), they will open the European Head-Office in a building next to Hotel New York.

A very intutive move....the Euros are out bounding the dollar now, and will in the next generation. Getting their roots back across the Atlantic is a good move.....

I have contacted them and asked if there will be jobs. They answered me right away that there will be jobs but they don't know wich. So I guess that its not that they are just moving from spijkenisse there will be a european office wich now is in seatle.

Ciska

• 1 month later...

We received an official invitation to attend the opening of the New Head Office in the Cruise Terminal at Rotterdam. It was a lovely night with lots of mariners and former HAL employees. Major Opstelten was there; unfortunately the fireworks were cancelled due to the strong winds. We loved to be in the HAL old departure terminal, the terminal where my grandfather worked a long time ago.

And we love to be able to say: WELCOME BACK TO ROTTERDAM, THE CITY WHERE IT ALL BEGAN IN 1873......!!!!

We received a nice gift: a special tile, with the former head office on it :)

We received an official invitation to attend the opening of the New Head Office in the Cruise Terminal at Rotterdam. It was a lovely night with lots of mariners and former HAL employees. Major Opstelten was there; unfortunately the fireworks were cancelled due to the strong winds. We loved to be in the HAL old departure terminal, the terminal where my grandfather worked a long time ago.

And we love to be able to say: WELCOME BACK TO ROTTERDAM, THE CITY WHERE IT ALL BEGAN IN 1873......!!!!

We received a nice gift: a special tile, with the former head office on it :)

We also had the pleasure of attending the offical opening of this European Headoffice in Rotterdam.

First Mrs. Binnendijk - she is in charge of the mariners - was introduced, a new video was shown (of which we all got a copy), then Mr. Stein Kruse, CEO and President of HAL - had a nice speech about the history of HAL in Rotterdam. Followed by Mr. Opstelten, mayor of Rotterdam.

As mentioned no firework due too much wind.

Before and after this there were plenty of drinks and snacks available.

Upon leaving guests got a bag with brochures of 2007 and 2008 including the small tile mentioned above.

We made some photos, which can be seen on:

http://s73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/Inevd/Ceremony%20new%20HAL%20European%20headoffice%20Rotterdam/

Sounds wonderful!!! Happy it was a successful celebration. Seems HAL did its usual wonderful job of running a great party.

Jsipes wrote:

A very intutive move....the Euros are out bounding the dollar now, and will in the next generation. Getting their roots back across the Atlantic is a good move.....

Hence the name of the new ship, "Eurodam" ??

Sounds wonderful!!! Happy it was a successful celebration. Seems HAL did its usual wonderful job of running a great party.

Jsipes wrote:

Hence the name of the new ship, "Eurodam" ??

I more or less expected to hear more about "Eurodam" by Mr. Kruse, but he talked about the past more then the future.

In the brochures we received the schedule of Eurodam is like the one discussed in the Eurodam link.

Thanks, Ine, for the photos. Really enjoyed seeing the band again who always play as we sail from Rotterdam (#17).

I am curious to know if the folks who belong to "Le Lijn" were invited to this event as the back of a few heads look familiar to me.

I also attended the reception in the Cruise Terminal.

We found seats in the middle, but when two of my friends went out to get some drinks and returned, they were asked if they were sitting at the back, if so, we could move to the second row, being reserved for vip's.

It just happened that I sat behind mayor Ivo Opstelten. At the end of our row was mr. Martin Schröder. My seat was originally reserved for mr. Rob Leyen.

Unfortunately, the sound was very loud, so I went away to the other end of the terminal, where it was no better :-(

I have seen the presentation from a distance, standing near the stairs.

When leaving, there were not enough bags, so some of my friends did not get the DVD and the tile.

A DVD can be copied, but not a tile :-(

Thanks, Ine, for the photos. Really enjoyed seeing the band again who always play as we sail from Rotterdam (#17).

I am curious to know if the folks who belong to "Le Lijn" were invited to this event as the back of a few heads look familiar to me.

Yes, I received the invitation on 21 February by email and the confirmation (also by email) on 22 February.

Those who did not have email, received the invitation by mail.

The last time we were at the Rotterdam Terminal was the first time Rotterdam VI sailed into Rotterdam in about 1998. It was very exciting. We sailed in on the ship and stayed on in Rotterdam for several days. There were parties aboard and fireworks. I believe the ship stayed in Rotterdam for two days before sailing on her European itineraries.

The last time we were at the Rotterdam Terminal was the first time Rotterdam VI sailed into Rotterdam in about 1998. It was very exciting. We sailed in on the ship and stayed on in Rotterdam for several days. There were parties aboard and fireworks. I believe the ship stayed in Rotterdam for two days before sailing on her European itineraries.

I remember. We as members of De Lijn were invited to visit the ship.

We did not stay to see the fireworks as we live too far away from Rotterdam.

We are (for 30 years now) living in the namesake city of Cape Hoorn.

Meneer van der Leek; is it your understanding that all European reservations for HAL are now going through the Rotterdam office?

Also, any updated ETA on when Rotterdam V is coming home? Would be nice to have her in Rotjeknor in time for Eurodam's inaugural festivities

Lucky us, we received 4 bags, the girls wanted to get rid of them:) And Ine, I sat opposite you, I remember your lovely jacket and golden bag. I was with my lovely grandson of 7 years old, he took pictures....

Archived