Getting to Aust/NZ

oceanview585

We don't have points with United, just American. Just hard to grasp the fact that one has to start working on this a year in advance! Gone are the days of *flying by the seat of pants* ....if you'll forgive the pun... ;)

For our trip/cruise January 2007 I booked award seats using AA miles on Air Tahiti Nui at the earliest possible date--Feb. 2006. Air Tahiti was all they had available at the time, so I grabbed them. I had also chosen to do a few days stopover in Papeete (which is a perk I hope you all know about--when using AA miles, you're allowed a stopover which really can be a huge plus when vacationing). Anyway, around October I started looking to see if something might be available on Qantas instead, and lo and behold they were--direct from SFO to SYD. Changed my mind about wanting to stay in Papeete, and rebooked the direct Qantas flights. AA did charge me $100 change fee per person, but I felt it was worth it.

I realized that most of us wouldn't risk waiting until a few months prior to book air tickets. But if you're not happy with what you have, keep checking as Qantas does release more award seats closer to the travel dates. Plus our flights were during the peak travel season, we left 12/31. The hard part is just knowing when more seats might be released.

Good to read these helpful posts--and to hear that WE are not the only ones experiencing extreme frustration of spending hours of non-productive time on the phone trying to make air arrangements using AA FF miles--some of which we earned and some of which we PAID for last year especially to be able to purchase business or first class seats with banked miles for our Sydney-Auckland cruise on X's Mercury Dec. 23 (2007)-Jan. 6 (2008).

We also have enough US Airways miles--but we prefer to save those as AmericaWest is our hometown airline here in Phoenix (Arizona--USA), so we need these miles for our frequent longer flights from home....

We want to use miles to fly business class to Sydney from Phoenix appx. one week prior to sailing (around the 16th of December 2007) to do some pre-cruise touring on our own, and we want to stay in Auckland a day or two post-cruise (returning Jan. 7 or 8, 2008).

We understand that we can't use miles to upgrade from an economy ticket except on United, but UAL can't get us back from Auckland with the economy purchase/upgrade to business, as they have only a code share with Air New Zealand from Auckland to Sydney and can only do the upgrading on a R/T Sydney ticket. PROBLEM: We don't have UAL miles to upgrade anyway, and a low-cost economy seat from NZ to SYD won't give us the cruise luggage allowance....

We don't want to cancel this dream cruise, and we work fulltime so can't do this cruise except at this holiday--but we don't want to spend more for airfare than for the cruise, which is costly, too.

I have a hip condition and don't think I could do the long trip from LA in economy....

Are we dreaming...??

THANKS!

Mary-Lou (& DH Dave)

"Dr. FUN"

Dr. Fun,

I think you may be dreaming a little as when your dates happen to fall at the busiest time for expats returning home from the U.S. for Christmas.

As you have probably realized there are very few airlines that fly into Australia from the U.S., namely Qantas, United and Jetstar from Hawaii. Also if you go via Auckland then you can use Air New Zealand and if you go via Papeete, Air Tahiti Nui which codeshares with Qantas.

If you were willing to go via Japan or Hong Kong or even Singapore, then you have more options which include JAL, Cathay Pacific and Singapore Airlines.

We too have lots of F.F. miles but are realistic when it comes to travel and if we cannot get the seats when we want to depart or return, then we pay for the airfare. I have been waiting since November for an upgrade using F.F. miles, (after paying in full) for a trip returning from Europe in October of this year, so far no luck. We are resigned to probably not receiving the upgrade but we are certainly not going to cancel our trip.

Remember there are only so many seats that are available for F.F. and it is first come, first served. As we are able to book our Qantas F.F. seats 355 days out, then we obviously get the first pick. They do release seats later on, but it is the luck of the draw and you could find that because you waited to try and get these F.F. seats, all the paying seats have been snapped up and there is no way of getting to the ship.

Jennie

Thanks, Jennie! (BTW: I've read many of your other posts on other boards here over the past few years and always appreciate your excellent advice. Hope we get to YOUR city on this great OZ-NZ cruise!)

While we were HOPING for better news, what you say is pretty much what we've come to realize--but sadly we can't afford the (appx.) 8,000 USD (or more!) per person business fare....

Hope YOU get your upgrade on the Europe trip.:)

Warmest wishes,

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

Dr. Fun,

I know it is a long trip for you - around 17 hours - but on Qantas the seats are quite comfortable. Would you consider trying it as I would hate to think you would miss out on visiting our wonderful country and beautiful New Zealand. The trip over is much easier than the return as you do sleep most of the way as the flights leave the U.S. at night.

We often travel for over 30 hours to get to Europe and we travel each year. We have done it many times in Economy as we find the the huge fare for Business Class can pay for another trip so if we cannot use F.F. or get upgrades then that is the only way we fly.

I know you mentioned having a hip condition but we have found that on the trip over to the U.S. the seats on Business that become beds are not the most comfortable to spend hours just sitting. They hurt my back anyway.

Jennie

I totally agree about the flat-beds: They're like ironing boards! :D We'd "only" want business with the regular reclining seats rather than first class beds.

But I appreciate knowing that QANTAS is pretty comfortable. Do you know if QANTAS has any 2-only seats in economy? That might be an option.... (Is there service good "in the back"?)

THANKS SO MUCH!

Mary-Lou

Dr Fun,

Yes Qantas does have some 2 only seats. They are the seats that we will only sit in when we go Economy. They are right down the back but you do get more room at the window side as the plane angles and you can put bags etc. down by window. I think the numbers start at around 61 and there are usually 3 rows on each side. We always request them when we book any Economy fares whether we are flying with Qantas or Singapore airlines.

Qantas fly 747's from L.A. Here is the website:

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/inTheAir/ourAircraft/seatMap744ER

If you are used to flying with A.A. then you are in for the biggest shock of your life. The airlines that fly into and out of Australia all offer fantastic service. You are really looked after and nothing is ever too much trouble.

We couldn't get over the lack of service on A.A. when we flew with them last year. We were in First class and still did not think the service was any good.

Jennie

DrFUN:

Just a word of encouragement.....don't give up! You may have noticed my post a ways back in which I mentioned that we finally made some headway with AA using our FF miles using Air Tahiti NUI. (Travelling Tulsa/St.Louis/LAX/Papeete....20 layover/Auckland) :D for our Auckland/Sydney Mercury voyage on 12/09/07. We are waiting for the return dates to open up so not sure what route we'll have to take to return. :rolleyes:

It just took us a LOT of phone calls until we connected with the *right* agent who was willing to work with us creatively to find a way. (Our seats are in Business Class too!)

Actually the layover in Papeete is a bonus for us.....we will spend some time on that beautiful island.....and we get a break, half way, from the 16+ hour flight from LAX!

Good luck!

If you are used to flying with A.A. then you are in for the biggest shock of your life. The airlines that fly into and out of Australia all offer fantastic service. You are really looked after and nothing is ever too much trouble.
Even United Airlines? ;) :p

Globilizer,

As I haven't ever flown with United so cannot comment on them though I haven't heard good reports from friends!

I was thinking of Qantas, Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Malaysian, Austrian, Thai, JAL etc.

Jennie

As I haven't ever flown with United so cannot comment on them though I haven't heard good reports from friends!
Yes, I knew what you meant.

United is not quite on my "I'd rather walk" list, but it has come close to it on occasions.

Unfortunately, United is one of the only two airlines that fly non-stop from Australia to the US, which I imagine is how most people from the US will get there.

I totally agree about the flat-beds: They're like ironing boards! :D We'd "only" want business with the regular reclining seats rather than first class beds.

But I appreciate knowing that QANTAS is pretty comfortable. Do you know if QANTAS has any 2-only seats in economy? That might be an option.... (Is there service good "in the back"?)

THANKS SO MUCH!

Mary-Lou

I disagree. We flew first class with Qantas both ways to New York in August and I slept like a baby. The bed no way resembled an ironing board - it was so comfortable. I am leaving for Phuket in three weeks and flying first class to Bangkok with Qantas. Can't wait.

My husband has flown United in the past and said they were the worse airline he has ever flown on and would never use them again.

Jane;)

Try this site to see the layout of aircraft

It offers information on all sorts of things

Having flown to UK and also Canada/USA over the past 30 years I know what a hassle it is if the seats are not comfortable. Did anyone ever fly on the old Pan Am - now 'those' seats were hard and I'm sure made for beanpoles.

Hope you all have success with your search for a seat using FF points.

Cathy

DrFUN:

Just a word of encouragement.....don't give up! You may have noticed my post a ways back in which I mentioned that we finally made some headway with AA using our FF miles using Air Tahiti NUI. (Travelling Tulsa/St.Louis/LAX/Papeete....20 layover/Auckland) :D for our Auckland/Sydney Mercury voyage on 12/09/07. We are waiting for the return dates to open up so not sure what route we'll have to take to return. :rolleyes:

THANKS for the encouragement, Ozland! And I'm so glad you got your seats.

Are they holding a return of some sort so you don't have to give all the miles for one-way (as I understand it's the same amount for one-way or R/T)...? And have you heard good things about Air Tahiti Nui?? That's an option we might use, but I'd not heard of them before. Also, do you know if they'll hold your checked luggage during your layover?

Still retaining hope for getting our business seats with FF miles,

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

I disagree. We flew first class with Qantas both ways to New York in August and I slept like a baby. The bed no way resembled an ironing board - it was so comfortable.

Jane;)

I should have clarified that the "ironing boards" (IMHO) were on Virgin Atlantic's "Upper Class"--their top tier but not really first class. The beds are set side-by-side along the length of the plane, sticking out into the aisles in oblique angles with the window BEHIND your head and the seat belt goes across at a strange angle--and the flatbeds are really hard. I preferred sitting up in them, though your elbow keeps hitting the controls.

However, you get their "coveted sleep-suit" pjs and a nice goody bag--and the truly first-class treatment (showers, folks to iron your clothes, great food, massages, haircuts, manicures, etc.) in their departure and arrivals lounges more than compensates for the hard beds. ;)

I pray we'll get on QANTAS in business with our FF miles, but it looks as if those rarely are available to AA FFs, especially at holiday time.

Best,

Mary-Lou

DrFUN:

Thanks, Ozland! So glad you got your seats. That IS encouraging. :p

Is AA holding the outbound for you until the return can be confirmed? They told us that it takes the same amount one-way or R/T, so we didn't want to book each part separately....

Also, is Air Tahiti Nui a good airline? I'm not familiar with this one. (Will they hold your checked luggage during your layover--or do you have to pick it up and re-check it?)

Still hoping,

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

... but last night when I tried to post the first one, the board didn't show it posted and the first one was lost. So then I recreated it as best I could--and THAT didn't post. Now it's there. The wonders of the internet!;)

Best,

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

Thanks, Ozland! So glad you got your seats. That IS encouraging. :p

Is AA holding the outbound for you until the return can be confirmed? They told us that it takes the same amount one-way or R/T, so we didn't want to book each part separately....

Also, is Air Tahiti Nui a good airline? I'm not familiar with this one. (Will they hold your checked luggage during your layover--or do you have to pick it up and re-check it?)

Still hoping,

Mary-Lou

"Dr. FUN"

Hello DrFUN:

Yes, AA is *holding* the outbound.....using the 125,000 FF miles/person for the R/T, until we can confirm the return. (Which should be today or tomorrow....I still need to call tonight.) The *hold* period is 2 weeks....which gives us until the 11th.

I don't know about Air Tahiti.....:eek: ...as we have never flown that airline before. I checked their website and they use the air bus....two sizes...one a two class and the other a three class. The planes are fairly new (five/six years old) from what I can tell. I have NO technical understanding of planes (can you tell :p) so I really don't know what to look for on the site.

Good question about holding the luggage for us! I haven't asked ....:o So thank you for bringing that up!

When I have the answers I will be sure to post them here.

Again, keep trying until you find a good agent who will work with you!

Good luck!

Dr. No,

I am pretty sure that you will have to pick up your luggage when you enter Tahiti and take it with you unless you want to put it into a locker for your layover. Then you will have to recheck it for your onward flight when you leave Tahiti.

Once you arrive into a country and you are staying there for quite a few hours, the norm is that you have to present your luggage through customs on your arrival and again when you depart that country.

The Customs are very strict in Papeete and we were checked for everything possible, especially our hand luggage. That was back in March, 2004 and there was only one plane leaving at that time, which was the Air N.Z. at 5am. I would hate to be going through customs when a few planes were leaving at the same time.

Jennie

Jennie:

Thanks for the heads-up. I suspected we would have to take our bags through customs.

This is off this topic.....but do you (or anyone reading) happen to know the logistics for checking into a hotel in Papeete in the early hours (our plane lands at 5:30 am) and checking out at midnight (plane leaves at 1:40 am)? I'm thinking I may have to reserve a room for both nights. Any hints/ideas out there. :)

Jennie:

Thanks for the heads-up. I suspected we would have to take our bags through customs.

This is off this topic.....but do you (or anyone reading) happen to know the logistics for checking into a hotel in Papeete in the early hours (our plane lands at 5:30 am) and checking out at midnight (plane leaves at 1:40 am)? I'm thinking I may have to reserve a room for both nights. Any hints/ideas out there. :)

We are cruising Tahiti in July and our flight departs at 3am. We have just booked our room for an additional night - that way at least we won't get stuck sitting around a hotel foyer for hours on end.

Jane;)

When we left Papeete a couple of years ago our flight left at 5am. I booked a day room which we were able to use from 2pm, when we left the Tahitian Princess, until we left the hotel just before 3am.

I dealt directly with the hotel and it was Le Meridien.

Jennie

Archived