I can only assume the J-word is Jewish? I'm Jewish,

Me too

I thought the J-word is Jap

Jewish-American princess

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish-American_princess

Fagala

Yiddish word for homosexual male.

Old Jewish grandmother walks into a bar noticing all the men holding hands with other men, walks over to the bartender and says, "Fagalas?"

from

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Fagala

Me too

Jewish-American princess

from

Fagala

Old Jewish grandmother walks into a bar noticing all the men holding hands with other men, walks over to the bartender and says, "Fagalas?"

from

Me too

Jewish-American princess

from

Fagala

from

Yikes, four copies of the same post! :eek:

JAP is short for Jewish American Princess, but it's not especially common. It's more frequently spelled "Jap" as in short for Japanese. Most people don't use it for Jewish American Princess.

OK, I've followed this thread with interest, and am going to pop back in here avec a bit of a long-suppressed rant.

While far from a separatist, I really am miffed by the it's-a-small-world notion that wanting to create a small queer corner of the big straight world is somehow the obverse moral equivalent of exclusionary homophobia. See, there are the teensy matters of history and power. (Anti-Semites dislike Jews, Jews dislike anti-Semites. Get the difference?)

Sorry to disappoint anyone, but in significant ways it is still bloody well NOT a small world after all. Right, Mitt Romney? So if any of you straight cruisers want to be our pals, fine. Come to an FOD meeting, say "I really hope we get to see you around the ship. We'll be at the bar at 5:00, if you want to come by," and make a graceful exit. No problem. I'd probably love to hang out with you.

Hey, while you're at it, attend an onboard Catholic Mass, go up to parishioners, and ask them how they feel about supporting an institution that vigorously oppresses your new gay friends. Go to an onboard veterans' meeting and talk about "Don't ask, don't tell." Make a note to send a check to PFLAG when you disembark. Vociferously boycott Jamaica. Wear an "I Support Gay Marriage" T-shirt to bingo. Welcome aboard.

But puh-leeze don't trot out that "Oooh, you gay boys are such swell dancers and so witty and I just love showtunes and Queer Eye" stuff without expecting to raise a few hackles. Sorry, I really have no desire to be anyone's stereotypical little court jester. I'm truly sure you mean well, but if you're white, try swanning into a conclave of African Americans and tell them how much you love their natural rhythm, instead, k?

So if any of you straight cruisers want to be our pals, fine. Come to an FOD meeting, say "I really hope we get to see you around the ship. We'll be at the bar at 5:00, if you want to come by," and make a graceful exit. No problem. I'd probably love to hang out with you.

Well said:)

What do JAP's make for Sunday dinner? Reservations.

It's actually a lot more common here than that other usage. But then, I'm in Canada.

All these derogatory names for people, you would think we could just treat people with some dignity and not make up such names. As far as I'm concerned, I don't have a right to discriminate against someone based on something that they were born with, since that's what I'm asking people to do in my case. That being their native language, their origin, their colour, their sexual orientation, etc.

That being said, I still show up at FoD meetings to meet other couples like us. Especially on NCL and Princess where you have open dining. Even if, like on my last cruise on NCL, we are the only people who show up and the cruise line isn't responsible enough to send a host.

[rant]That being said, I do have a problem with cruise lines like NCL being a member of the IGLTA and not being openly supportive of Gays and Lesbians. Joining the IGLTA shouldn't simply be because you want Gay money. I abhor the usage of the term Friends of Dorothy, it's antiquated and too many people just don't understand. And when your guests walk up to the reception desk and ask and you are too ashamed to actually answer the question, you are not Gay positive. When you can't manage to get a member of the cruise staff to host, despite the fact that being host is your job, that is not Gay positive. And lastly, when you edit the words of a West Side Story song and replace the word gay with the word bright... you are not Gay positive. [/rant]

Yikes, four copies of the same post! :eek:

JAP is short for Jewish American Princess, but it's not especially common. It's more frequently spelled "Jap" as in short for Japanese. Most people don't use it for Jewish American Princess.

Aren't you a former translater for Cunnard. Have they asked you back again?

I was a sign language interpreter on a charter of a Holland America ship. It was a full-ship charter, so I was working for that company. It was also a one-time deal unfortunately. The company has been sold since I was on it, and they hire interpreters differently now. I was an interpreter for the deaf passengers on the ship.

. I was an interpreter for the deaf passengers on the ship.

Y'know, it's my impression (though it may be a function of my living in San Francisco) that a disproportionate number of sign language interpreters are queer. What's your take on that?

Y'know, it's my impression (though it may be a function of my living in San Francisco) that a disproportionate number of sign language interpreters are queer. What's your take on that?

You're not wrong! I would say that the percentage of queer people in the interpreting profession is higher than in most other professions. I have NO idea why this is, but it is definitely something I have noticed, and I know other people who have noticed it too.

OK, I've followed this thread with interest, and am going to pop back in here avec a bit of a long-suppressed rant.

I understand your point(s) but I'd also recommend that you'll be far more effective pleasantly discussing with your new found straight friends the contradictions of the world, the problems of our community, and leading (yes, educating!) them down the right path, than beating them over the head with their hypocrisy.;)

There's a time to take to the streets and protest, to participate in civil disobedience, and to raise your voices in heartfelt anger at an unjust world. I know, I've done plenty of it. Handcuffs, arrests, etc. Well intentioned threads here on a board or

a cocktail hour on a cruise ship are not necessarily some of those times, though...reminds me of my grandmother's often saying "you get more flies with honey..."

Which is probably why my more radical friends call me an assimilationist, and my more conservative friends call be a stinkin' liberal....:D It's Hell being in the middle!:cool: But, gee, I sorta like it here, with out all that vitriol....

Andrew

I understand your point(s) but I'd also recommend that you'll be far more effective pleasantly discussing with your new found straight friends the contradictions of the world, the problems of our community, and leading (yes, educating!) them down the right path, than beating them over the head with their hypocrisy.;)

As Derf5585 would say: Je Conviens!

cheers,

PA

I would say that the percentage of queer people in the interpreting profession is higher than in most other professions. .

The fact that I am gay will always affect my work. The amount the interpretation is affected will depend on the situation

from

http://edf3.gallaudet.edu/diversity/BGG/Multicultural%20Interpreter/gordon-gay.htm

Gay Linguists Get The Boot

from

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/11/14/attack/main529418.shtml

The fact that I am gay will always affect my work. The amount the interpretation is affected will depend on the situation

from

http://edf3.gallaudet.edu/diversity/BGG/Multicultural%20Interpreter/gordon-gay.htm

I know Gordon! He's an excellent interpreter, I have seen him work a few times, including at the Capital Pride 2006 festival. He's also been involved with the Potomac Chapter of the Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf, he was the president for a few years.

I was a sign language interpreter

I hear there is a lot of controversy about the two methods of sign language. Could you explain and which side are you on? And what was the problem with the new president of Calludet (Spel) University.

I hear there is a lot of controversy about the two methods of sign language. Could you explain and which side are you on? And what was the problem with the new president of Calludet (Spel) University.

This is not really the place for it, so I will be brief with my answer.

I'm not sure what you mean about two methods of sign language. However, there are two methods of teaching deaf children, and people have very different views. Some people believe that sign language is the natural language of a person who cannot hear, and they believe children should learn sign language while they are young. Other people believe deaf children should learn to read lips and speak, so they will fit better into the hearing world. Both options have their positive and negative parts...it really depends on the individual child.

As for the issue with Gallaudet University, that was due to the president-elect not having a good relationship with students and faculty. Nobody had respect for her, and how can you lead a university if you don't have respect from the students and people who work for you? She claimed that the reason she wasn't liked is because she grew up speaking and not signing, but really it was more about her not being a good leader.

Though there is an associated K-word I wouldn't like to hear.
I thought the "K" word was K-Mart...?

As for JGarland, it's difficult to think that someone would use the name of one of the greatest talents of the century on posts that purport to show an unfortunate side of the gay community. But me thinks this person may have an alter-ego... :rolleyes:

As for FOD meetings (yes, they are now called Rainbow Gatherings on Princess and they are all hosted - sometimes that includes a round of drinks, depending on who is doing the hosting) I think the purpose they serve is to give the gay community on board a place to meet each other and become friendly. I have attended meetings when straight people were there. For the most part, the straight people have been open and accepting and in one case, were traveling with a gay couple at the FOD meeting. I have been party to situations, however, where straight people didn't know what kind of meeting they were attending and caused a ruckus when they did find out (hence, Princess now adds the "Rainbow Gathering" moniker to their meetings). Complaints were loged at the Purser's desk and threats were made at the meeting.

So my point in all this rambling? It's great when the straight and gay communities can bridge the gaps between them and come together. On the other hand, it's not so great when the coming together results in unfortunate circumstances. While we'd all like to believe that the straight people showing up at gay gatherings are friendly, we also have to face the reality that this is not always true. It's nice to have a safe environment in which to gather and meet new friends - ultimately that's what we all want.

You know what occurs to me? I'd be totally fine with the cruise line putting "Gay & Lesbian Gathering" or "GLBT Gathering" on the schedule. I think the reason for calling it "Friends of Dorothy" is the same reasoning behind "Friends of Bill W." - so people don't have to be out about what they're going for. That would eliminate any misunderstandings. If they didn't want to exclude anybody, it could be "GLBT & Friends Gathering" or something like that.

"GLBT Gathering"

You forgot some members

GLBTQQASIPO

The most commonly used involve adding a Q for queer or questioning (some variants, in fact, use two Qs to represent both of these groups), an A for asexual or allies (and sometimes 'S' for straight ally), an I for intersex, or a P for pansexual or polyamorous. Some even add an O for omnisexual or other.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLBT

Archived