Health question

Mezzaluna

My doctor has me testing my blood glucose with a meter twice every day. (I don't have diabetes- yet, but this is helping me change my eating habits.) I haven't taken any long trips since I began using the meter so I carry a small metal box to store the used lancets, which I then put in a sharps container when I get home.

We're cruising on the Coral for 10 days in March; that's a lot of lancets! Do they let you dispose of them in the Medical Center?

While I have your ear, are there any decent sugarfree desserts on the menu?

Just alert them when you board and they will supply a hazardous material box for you to dispose of them.

As for sugar free desserts, sometimes they are better than the regular desserts. If you don't see them at the buffet, just ask and they will gladly supply them for you, there is usually a sign there also on how to acquire them.

I've had diabetics at tables on several of our cruises, the most recent on the Sea Princess last summer for two weeks. There was a variety of sugar-free desserts every night, including cakes, sherbets and ice cream. They looked delicious and the woman who ordered them said they were as good as they looked.

I don't know what kind of lancets you are using, but most all of them come with a twist-off cover/end to them. Are you saying that you throw those away? If you save them, you can place them back on the end of the lancet, and then if you've placed it on tightly, it is no longer sharp. I still tell the room steward, and he usually gives me a "special" water cup to put them in for the duration of the cruise. As far as that goes, if you talk to any long time diabetics, I think you will find that they don't change lancets after every stick. It really isn't necessary, regardless of what they tell you. You could stick four or five times with the same one with no problem.

My sister only eats sugar free desserts. There is always one pastry, pie, or cake item on the dinner menu. In addition you can always get no sugar added ice cream. At the buffet, all you have to do is ask a server. "Would you please get me a sugar free dessert?" My sister did that and got a good variety of things, sometimes two. She got chocolate and strawberry mousses, cheesecake, boston creme pie, chocolate cake, etc. At breakfast if you want french toast or pancakes, they have Camp syrup (sugar free). If you don't see it, just ask. Also, they have Sweet N Low and Equal at the table. And they have Splenda if you ask...its available at the Spa, and they can obtain it for you if you ask.

M.

Thanks for your replies!

I do use the lancets with the little twist-off ends; I never knew you could replace them. I use them two times (one day's worth of use). I'll ask about the special box.

I was pretty sure they'd have "sugar-free" pastries, but unfortunately they still have more carbs than I'm allowed; pie crusts, cake, etc. all contain flour which boosts my blood sugar quickly to 'bad' levels, even if the fillings don't have sugar. I'll have to be kind of pushy and try to see their recipes or just skip most of the desserts. The mousses might be the ticket.

Don't forget, in addition to the deserts, that any carbs can raise your blood sugars, especially white carbs. Eat but limit (count) your white pastas, white breads, starchy fruits and veggies like bananas, peas and corn, crackers, croutons, cream sauces, etc.

I suggest this: Make most of your choices from the healthy lifetsyle menu they have available, especially if it looks good or you don't care that much. Then, trade in the things you really really want. Ask for appetizer sized pasta if you like that, it's never been a problem to get it and you won't overindulge.

This is good for weight control too, and it makes those "treats" taste better imo! And one advantage of cruising is that often it is much safer to eat fresh salads and such (watch the dressing!!) than it would be in a land based vacation to the same spot. You can get skim milk and nonfat yogurts, fresh fruits and veggies, and lean fish. Ask for wheat bread if it's not presented (it metabolizes slower).

The sugar free desserts are tasty, and if you ask, they will bring you a fruit plate instead of the desserts on the menu. And there's always the cheese and cracker plate.

Drinks are a problem---they don't have much sugar free soda (only diet coke) and no sugar free lemonades or anything of the sort. I suggest bringing packets of sugar free drink mixes like crystal light, sugar free hot chocolate, and diet soda onboard with you. I ask for lime slices to put in my water and they give them to me free at the bars.

Besides the lancets, one should also dispose of the test strips properly. I usually carry a baggie that I can close each time and put both lancets and test strips in that. Then you can dispose properly once a week or the end of a longer cruise.

Not only do you need to watch those stooopid carbs, but you will have an excellent opportunity to exercise both on the ship and doing some shore side exploring. Exercise, along with a proper diet, are two keys ways to control blood glucose problems. The exercise will also help with any blood pressure problems that you might have.

Think, but do not obsess, about what you eat and do and you will enjoy your cruise more than you think you might.

Jim

We have done sugar free/low carb on our last few cruises. There are lots of choices as long as you like meat/fish, green veggies, and salads. On one cruise, I ordered green beans every night, even when not on the menu. Waiters were fantastic and had them every night, and their big joke on the last night was to serve me a mixing bowl full of green beans!! :)

The sugar free chocolate mousse is wonderful.........and there is always stuff available.

We also take snacks with us like nuts, low carb bars, and even sugar free candy so we are not feeling deprived. We also take water (I know, you can buy it on the ship, but if we're driving, we take it), we usually take a six pack of diet soda........we drink Diet Rite, with Splenda, and those little individual packets of Crystal Light and our own packets of Splenda.

All the servers seem to be most helpful if you tell them that you need to stay away from sugar and flour.

Have a great cruise..................

Archived