what speed is the internet?

jerrybev

There is only one speed on board, and basically it's what the system will bear given the quality of the connection to the satellite and the number of users on the system. The speed has improved and if there aren't a lot of people on line, it is almost comparable to a high-quality dial-up connection. It can bog down at times, and it's possible to lose a connection entirely. My comments relate only to the computer center on board; those who use wireless from their own laptops might have different experiences.

slower than slow

takes forever has something to do with satellite connections that i dont understand just know it takes forever

Yep. Sure is a good thing that Platinum pax get it free -- I would be really ticked off if I was paying by the minute for it!!

;)

If you're used to a high-speed connection, it'll seem slow. But given that it's not land-line and the signal has to go through a satellite from a moving ship, it's not bad -- certainly better than internet connections on ships (not just Princess) just a few years ago.

You can bring your laptop and use it via wireless connection in the Atrium, and I've heard that the speeds are faster plus you have better control over how much time you actually spend online.

FYI, "Elite" Captain's Circle members are not 5 completed cruises but rather 15 completed cruises. Platinum (6+ cruises) get free internet connection but only in the Internet cafe -- not wireless or BYO laptop.

I would not call the internet service on Princess high speed, our experience on two sailings (and we have the bills to prove it), is that the internet is very slow. I began to wonder if they had a governor on it or some such thing to elongate sessions and increase revenue.

I don't quite understand why going through a satellite has that much to do with speed. Here in Hawaii we have high speed access (T-1/dsl/cable) and it goes through a satellite. And it does not cost an arm and leg.
One of the big differences is that ships need specialized gymbal equipment to maintain the connection since the ship is moving up and down, back and forth not to mention forward at 20+ knots. There's much more to it than on a solid land mass -- others can respond to that better than I can.

One of the big differences is that ships need specialized gymbal equipment to maintain the connection since the ship is moving up and down, back and forth not to mention forward at 20+ knots. There's much more to it than on a solid land mass -- others can respond to that better than I can.
I don't know much about how things need to be stabilized, other than the fact that when I had a satellite dish for TV a long time ago, when they were big, the wind blowing hard was enough to disrupt the quality of the signal or I might lose it altogether.

Something else to consider: Communication satellites are usually in geosynchronous orbit so that they remain positioned over one part of the earth. That means that they are orbiting at the equator. The further north you go, the lower the signal quality gets because the footprint of coverage is nearing its limits.

Archived