KIDS XMAS or NEW YEAR CRUISES

sludger

We are a family of 4 (boys 11 & 7) and are trying to plan a cruise on the Pacific Dawn around Christmas/New Year time and was wondering whether the Christmas or the New Year cruise would be best for us.

Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved.

HI Sludger

We were also in the same dilemma as you (our kids will be 15 and 13 1/2), after speaking to lots of people, travel agents and P & O we decided on the Chirstmas Cruise. Out cruise though is onboard the Pacific Sun from Brisbane as all of my family live in Brisbane and we can then spend new year with them.

THe Christmas cruises are generally a little bit cheaper than the new year cruises and apparently they do a little bit more for the christmas cruise - carols etc.

Cheers

Rach

Thanks

I think what we are concerned about is whether the New Years cruise is adult orientated.

Santa still visits our house here in Perth and we have to factor that in, therefore we are leaning towards a New Year's cruise.

It's not that our kids are a porblem but for 10/12 days they will need other kids to play with.

Paul

Hi Paul

The two main factors for us choosing the Christmas Cruise is that P&O and the travel agents I spoke did say that the New Year Cruise does appear to be demoghraphically more adult orientated eg less kids. The other reason was that when I was a kid (about 10) we were flying back to Australia over the Chirstmas period and where actually flying over the Atlantic on Christmas Day - I still remember everything about that day - gifts, decorations, food etc - and we wanted to give our kids the same experience. I guess though I am lucky in that we no longer have Santa visit (other than christmas stockings!!) so I don't have to deal with that issue.

Good luck with your decision.

Rach

Hi Sludger

I am about to do my first P & O cruise so can't offer any comment on christmas v's new years.

What I can comment on is we took out children to england for christmas 2 years ago when they were ages 5 and 9. They really remember their christmas their and all the differences that occur between an aussie and an uk christmas (I didn't think there we any but at the age of 34 loved every minute). I think they would enjoy the experience of christmas day on the cruise and I am sure you can ask P & O a few specific questions like menu, santa vistit and number of kids on the cruise in the past.

We flew to the uk 1 week before christmas. The week before my girls went to their grandmother's for a sleepover. Amazingly enough when their grandmother dropped them home santa had been put up the tree, left presents and food for an early christmas lunch (we still have the note) amazingly enough all our family dropped in that day (the girls never questioned it) and when santa was on his practice run from the north pole he dropped off present which included many items that would be useful on a long flight to england and could be used in a cold climate. I am sure you could email santa and arrange for him to do his practice run to your house.

We met up with santa a few days before christmas in a department store in the uk and when he asked my girls what they wanted I jumped in and said, Santa these are the grils you visited early in Australia because you knew they were coming to England. Santa remembered and asked them if they liked their presents.

I have not done a christmas cruise but would ask P & O questions and think its a great oportunity and a wonderful memory for your children

Wendy

David those photo's are fantastic, love the boats:) and the decorations, I was going to ask "where is that beautiful beach with the palms trees?':confused:

Then I read the caption "Hamilton Island":rolleyes: , derrr....Iv'e been there!!

We forget how beautiful our beaches are, just a shame about the box jelly fish this time of year, seems such a waste in this weather. Well with my son working on Daydream Island now I may just have to make a trip back up there:D

Cheryl

Hi sludger, I must say when I was younger (after my Fairstar cruise when I was 26) I dreamed of a New Years cruise. However, now that I'm married with 3 kids there is no way I would do one. Too many young party animals I think. I would love to do a Christmas cruise and wouldn't be surprised if our next one is a Christmas one. And I am a very Christmassy person who has always insisted on having Christmas at home.I just like the idea of it. My DH did a New Year cruise on the Fairstar when he was young & single but he too has said he wouldn't do one with the kids.

Karen

Have your kids been that bad Rach???

:)

Nah - about 8 years ago we were busted putting pressies under the tree - and it didn't help that year a family friend got a job as Santa in a store - we took the kids and our son recognised him even in the get up!!!:eek: Stephen was about 6 and Katy only stopped believing about 3 years ago - again when we were busted putting pressies under the tree - you would think that they would be asleep at 3 am wouldn't you??:rolleyes:

Rach

Hi

I emailed P & O about Christmas Cruising with children and their reply is below:

" On the 2006 Christmas cruise onboard Pacific Sun, I can advise you that there were Carol's on Christmas Eve, there were church services including a midnight mass. There was also a special visit from Santa on Christmas Day and lots of activities for the children including a treasure hunt with Santa and photo opportunities with Santa.

There is a traditional Christmas lunch and dinner served with a variety of ham, turkey and pork amongst an assortment of food. All staff really get into the Christmas spirit to make the ship really feel like Christmas. I'm sure the same if not similar activities will occur on the next Christmas cruise, however this would not be able to be confirmed until you are actually onboard."

Rach

Well at least on a Christmas Cruise you can guarantee that Santa will fit down the chimney (funnel) :) . Living in Queensland, our houses generally aren't setup with a fireplace, and our kids always questioned how Santa got in to the house on Christmas Eve (we left the back door unlocked for him apparently).

It's interesting to read an earlier comment about Santa. Our two children (now aged 20 and 17 years) recently confessed to us that they knew the true identity of Santa from a very early age but decided to keep quiet about it for many years because they were onto such a good thing! We still put their presents in a "Santa Sack" under the tree.

Well at least on a Christmas Cruise you can guarantee that Santa will fit down the chimney (funnel)

Each ship will have their own way to greet Santa.This is how he arrived on the Statendam while we were hove to off White Island...........

Ad_2268_5.jpg

Loved the photo David showed my son (14) and he went "wow that's such a cool way for santa to arrive at least i know that he will find a way to visit us on the ship!!" I'm now sitting here with a perplexed look on my face as i thought he didn't believe - now i'm confused!!!!!

Rach

Archived