Sea Sprout seen on Century Dec 15th

BettyInToronto

:) Good evening,

Thanks for those excellent captures !! Good shots.

How as the wind BEFORE you got there....and AFTER ??? I suspect things got pretty dead-calm at the point you were that close to the system...

Cheers

Claude G

;)

C-legs: Actually we almost missed it. My DH came back from the bathroom and just happened to walk over to the railing before settling in again. He screams "come look". I did and then we both went back to our lounge chairs (starboard side on deck 6) to grab our cameras. We were lucky to have them on us then. Not sure why we did but I'm so glad we did.

After taking these pictures, I ran up to the aft on deck 12 to get a better unobstructed view and it was gone. :( A few others did the same. We thought another one was going to start but it never materialized.

Hi Betty,

We were actually on the top deck and saw it coming at the ship. I actually have pictures of the sea churning in a circle right beside the ship (it passed within about 30 ft. of the port side of the ship). It isn't the first time we've see one of these at sea. A few years back we had a Captain's reception and as the Captain was talking about the state of the cruise line, new ships and itineraries coming out, everyone must have looked mesmerized because just over his shoulder out the window was a huge sea "spout" coming right at us. Of course it diverted, or the ship moved out of its way because the bridge couldn't have missed seeing it. As far as any ill effects on the ship, we were hanging over the rail watching it go by and felt nary a draft from it. :)

Randall

We wre in the Hemisphere Lounge and saw a waterspout that day also. It was in the afternoon and it passed on the port side of the ship. We saw the water churning, but now that I think about it, we did not actually see the spout, just the circle of churning water. I wonder if it was the same one? Thank you so much for posting these great pictures!

We wre in the Hemisphere Lounge and saw a waterspout that day also. It was in the afternoon and it passed on the port side of the ship. We saw the water churning, but now that I think about it, we did not actually see the spout, just the circle of churning water. I wonder if it was the same one? Thank you so much for posting these great pictures!

Hi Betty, thanks for those great pictures. Where were we???? Wish we had seen that. We spent most of that day up on deck, then went down to pack. About half an hour later, we went back up and couldn't believe all the water on the deck. It was raining really hard.

Interesting that the 'usual suspects' are in this thread! I was on the sun deck above the bridge trying to believe that the sun would come out again when I became aware of lots of animated pointing, which (in true British style) I thought was just awe at the darkness of the looming rain cloud. Turning round I saw the water spout pass eerily silently about 30m off the port side (couldn't see where it touched the sea). No noticeable wind - rushed downstairs to get the camera and took a very similar picture to the first of BettyinToronto's. First time we've seen one in 15 or so cruises - an awesome sight! Both Navigator of the Seas and Jewel of the Seas were a few miles away on our starboard side - wonder if anyone on them saw anything?

Vortigern (and Beach Hut Babe)

Please do not take offense but these are called Sea Spouts or Waterspouts.

I am assuming you misspelled it.

They can be very dangerous if a ship hits a big one. They do not move as fast as a tornado but there are tons of water in them before they collapse.

FF

Hi,

Here's a picture of the sea spout as it passed the ship. As you can see it was pretty well invisible as it passed but you can still see the effects it had on the ocean next to the ship. It really didn't develop much until after it had passed us.

Randall

sea-spout-trail.jpg.1aefe95f8f1ce249e156612d1e8e764d.jpg

Thanks guys for pointing out that I can't spell. :) (More than once too)

Suntan: We didn't even know it was there. It seems from everyone else posting here saw it pass real close on the port side and we didn't happen to see it until it was aft of the ship, on the starboard side. I guess it really was just luck of the draw. We didn't feel anything.

Thanks guys for pointing out that I can't spell. :) (More than once too)

Suntan: We didn't even know it was there. It seems from everyone else posting here saw it pass real close on the port side and we didn't happen to see it until it was aft of the ship, on the starboard side. I guess it really was just luck of the draw. We didn't feel anything.

Archived