Jeans Are Allowed...

sneakerstud

I wrote to NCL and to final make sure what is going on with all the new policies. Sinec I saw more designer Jeans then ever on my last cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. JEANS ARE ALLOWED in the dining roms as long as they are not ripped or with holes.

There will be also no "Optional Formal" nights anymore and basically everybody can wear a Tuxedo or a pair of Jeans as they like.

You will also find the new freestyle dailies very interesting!

The no shorts, Tank Top policy in main dining rooms (except buffet) is still on.

Enjoy your excellent cruises on this brilliant cruise line!!!

King Marcus

Right after we got our cruise documents, I read the "Welcome Aboard" brochure that came with them. Sure enough, there is nothing in there about jeans not being allowed. It does state, however, that "there are optional formal evenings in at least one of the main restaurants on every cruise" for those people who do love to dress to the nines.

Maybe someone who is cruising in the next couple weeks could report back on the formal evenings.

Jeans okay, Formal not really, so why bother with a dress code at all? Why not just "come as you are"? That's what most have been doing for years anyway forcing the cruise lines to lower their standards of proper dress code to accomadate the "new wave" cruisers. Me, I like the old time "traditional" way of cruising. After all do we dress up on formal night for ourselves or for our spouses/companions? To me making Formal night "optional" and in only one dining room that also allows jeans too on the formal night is like not having a formal night at all. It's the old "what part of the word 'formal' do you not understand" sydrome. There is no nor should there be anything in-between. . It makes the ones who dress up look bad to the ones who don't and the ones who don't look bad to ones that do dress up. Either do it right or do away with it.

Jeans okay, Formal not really, so why bother with a dress code at all? Why not just "come as you are"? That's what most have been doing for years anyway forcing the cruise lines to lower their standards of proper dress code to accomadate the "new wave" cruisers. Me, I like the old time "traditional" way of cruising. After all do we dress up on formal night for ourselves or for our spouses/companions? To me making Formal night "optional" and in only one dining room that also allows jeans too on the formal night is like not having a formal night at all. It's the old "what part of the word 'formal' do you not understand" sydrome. There is no nor should there be anything in-between. . It makes the ones who dress up look bad to the ones who don't and the ones who don't look bad to ones that do dress up. Either do it right or do away with it.

Perhaps that is why they are doing away with the "optional" formal night.

Maybe too many passengers were against it?

I do not wear jeans anywhere to dinner. My choice.

I also enjoy dressing for dinner.

I, personally, do not care what people wear to dinner on a cruise ship as long as they are dressed neatly and clean.

I am more disturbed by the "loud, obnoxious" people in the dining rooms and the "loud, obnoxious" people mistreating the staff. Those that are dressed-up or not:rolleyes:

I just hope it does not come down to passengers coming into the dining rooms in bathing suits/trunks...YUK! Cover-ups or not!!

I't depends to the cruise...I guess 1st sea day night (on a 7 night one) will be the more so optional formal night...the menu shows lobster and beef Wellington.

I did on my last cruise on the Pearl wore the 1st time in 15 years of cruising on "OFN" and invitation to the VIP Seniors Officers Party, jeans and did not even show up for the party...I couldn't bother less. And after so many parties in al those years dressed up...I just enjoyed a salad at the Garden restaurant (which was excellent) and decited to have a piece of meat at the main restaurant, just to try!

Ended up on a wonderful table at Indigo with great company and tried the whole menu and had great service. This is what I do understand at a great evening on vacation! Just decide as you go! I felt so good, not to do the same small talk since 15 years over and over again!

I love to dress and when I say I wore Jeans...lets say my outfit was worth more then most paied for theire whole cruise.

I rather have somebody in a great Jeans, shirt and shoes then a cheap ugly worn tux!

I just love the new NCL product...the good thing! You will not really see so many undressed people anyhow...they are by the pool and buffets!

I't depends to the cruise...I guess 1st sea day night (on a 7 night one) will be the more so optional formal night...the menu shows lobster and beef Wellington.

I did on my last cruise on the Pearl wore the 1st time in 15 years of cruising on "OFN" and invitation to the VIP Seniors Officers Party, jeans and did not even show up for the party...I couldn't bother less. And after so many parties in al those years dressed up...I just enjoyed a salad at the Garden restaurant (which was excellent) and decited to have a piece of meat at the main restaurant, just to try!

Ended up on a wonderful table at Indigo with great company and tried the whole menu and had great service. This is what I do understand at a great evening on vacation! Just decide as you go! I felt so good, not to do the same small talk since 15 years over and over again!

I love to dress and when I say I wore Jeans...lets say my outfit was worth more then most paied for theire whole cruise.

I rather have somebody in a great Jeans, shirt and shoes then a cheap ugly worn tux!

I just love the new NCL product...the good thing! You will not really see so many undressed people anyhow...they are by the pool and buffets!

Good for you:)

Sounds wonderful!

Jeans okay, Formal not really, so why bother with a dress code at all? Why not just "come as you are"? That's what most have been doing for years anyway forcing the cruise lines to lower their standards of proper dress code to accomadate the "new wave" cruisers. Me, I like the old time "traditional" way of cruising. After all do we dress up on formal night for ourselves or for our spouses/companions? To me making Formal night "optional" and in only one dining room that also allows jeans too on the formal night is like not having a formal night at all. . It makes the ones who dress up look bad to the ones who don't and the ones who don't look bad to ones that do dress up. Either do it right or do away with it.

Yes, but why should those people who don't like to dress up have to make a choice of not taking a cruise or being forced to dress up just to satisfy those that do? Why should I not be allowed to enjoy a certain dining venue because of the way I'm dressed?

Freestyle is about choice, not lowering the standards of cruising. You can choose to dress up and I can choose not to. With Freestyle, neither of us should worry about being out of place.

Besides, who cares what someone else across the room is wearing?? My concern is enjoying the company of the people I am with.

I believe that you will see the other cruise lines begin to adopt something very similar to Freestyle over the next few years. Princess already has and the rest are bound to follow.

I love to dress and when I say I wore Jeans...lets say my outfit was worth more then most paid for their whole cruise.

That is so strange to me.:p My first impression of jeans - is, well, ..... jeans - I never look at the label, or couldn't give a hoot how much anyone paid for anything - if it looks like a duck.............

I love it though even though I will never understand why or how anyone could pay more for a single pair of jeans than an entire cruise!:eek:

I would agree that it is a sign of the times that the cruise lines - not just NCL, are finally accepting that folks will no longer adhere to a strict dress code of any sort. What next, one wonders!:eek:

:) :D

I believe she meant her total jeans outfit which would include her rhinestone encrusted pumps and cashmere top along with her Gloria Vanderbulit designer faded jeans would cost more than some old time cruiser's 500 trips worn out tux outfit with high water pants exposing his cracked patent leathers and wrinkled shrunk up shirt and coat that exposes half your wrist when you reach for the salt and pepper on formal night. As the ship companies build nicer and fancier ships they lower their standards for attendance. And when the min. wage goes up this next session in congress look for more and more to start cruising for their vacations and they won't have to buy a thing to do it on NCL. Just show up as is and they can do it all. Take away that "required" word and replace it with "always optional" and see how fast cruising is just another day at Disney World with the kids!

I know people that make minimum wage, and many of them are very nice people. I also know many that are not so nice, but to lump them all together seems pretty harsh to me.:eek: And to imply that they will ruin cruising for people with more money is just plain mean!:(

...... Why should I not be allowed to enjoy a certain dining venue because of the way I'm dressed?.....

If the two main dining rooms have the same menu but one is designated as "formal"....what are you being denied?

Besides, who cares what someone else across the room is wearing??
I care about the difference, especially if the company is the same in either case.

People in formal dress look better, tidier, more glamorous - particularly if it's a special occasion like the one formal night on a cruise (optional or not). So what other people wear is an important part of a restaurant's ambience. Ambience is an important background to the pleasure one derives from an experience. Why do you think that so many restaurants have dress codes? Why do so many formal dinners specify formal dress?

You may not want to participate, which is what freestyle is all about. But you should also see why some people like to wear and see others wearing formal dress.

So' date=' with the announcement that jeans are now allowed in the diningroom, you would think this argument would go away.

[b']Not!![/b]

PE<---thinks some people simply thrive on argument...

I was thinking the same thing. Glad you said it.

-Monte

I personally don't care what anyone else is wearing - if I feel like dressing up (and I just bought a killer dressy dress for Pearl 4/13/07) then I am going to dress up. I've already told DH that for our annual cruise "formal picture", if he wants to wear his tux that's fine with me; it's also fine with me if he wants to wear his dockers and shirt. I WILL wear my dress, I WILL look great and I will NOT care who either likes/dislikes what I'm wearing.

Be neat, be tidy, wear what you please - just don't sit next to me and be rude, drunk and obxious or mean to the staff!

I find it hilarious that the cruise lines establish guidelines (whether enforced or not) about attire - yet totally miss the boat re: guidelines for how to interact with the staff (with politeness, courtesy and kindness).

OOPS - so sorry, I just fell off my soapbox:p .

As said, I rather see somebody in a nice clean Jeans, sneakers and a nice polo shirt, then a worn out, ugly already shiny suit!

I have money and can dress up, which I do anyhow, but I hate to get told what I can wear or not wear on vacation!

That is one more reason for me to sail on NCL! Disney...I hope so not!

This is to address the minimal wage issue. I just can't believe that was even mentioned on one of these posts. Minimal wage earners are hard working people whether they are nice or mean. I doubt any of them said, when we get a raise from $5.50 to $6.75 an hour we will take a cruise. More than likely they breathed a sign of relief that maybe now they would have a little extra to pay the bills and put more food on the table. I hope they are able to save and go on a great vacation such as a cruise. Why should nice vacations only be enjoyed by those with lots of money.

This is to address the minimal wage issue. I just can't believe that was even mentioned on one of these posts. Minimal wage earners are hard working people whether they are nice or mean. I doubt any of them said, when we get a raise from $5.50 to $6.75 an hour we will take a cruise. More than likely they breathed a sign of relief that maybe now they would have a little extra to pay the bills and put more food on the table. I hope they are able to save and go on a great vacation such as a cruise. Why should nice vacations only be enjoyed by those with lots of money.

No kidding 40 hours 52 weeks (no break to cruise:rolleyes: ) $7hr gives them $14,500 before with holdings. 1200 bucks a month. Tell me how you keep a roof over your head, food, and utilities and still take the most inexpensive cruise. Even if they won a free cruises If would be impossible for most living on a minimum wage to afford taxes, parking and tips.

I never understood the rules on no-jeans. I find it nice and don't see why is it not allowed when dockers are. The old glamarous day of cruising on ocean liners are gone and to me, cruising is more about enjoying and dressing to my preference(as long as its presentable) rather than dressing up to impress no-one(unless I have a James Bond tux and am thick-skinned enough to announce it to everyone).

Being presentable is the key. I don't care about dressing up in tux when I could be more comfortable in nice long-sleeve shirt and decent matching jeans.

I could understand no-jeans on Cunard though. I'll never book a cruise onboard Cunard if I dislike the rule because I'll only be spoiling my own holiday, the same logic applies here : don't book NCL if jeans is a big no-no.

Hoorays to decent jeans being allowed! (tattered and torn jeans are rubbish IMO!)

Archived