Golden Princess or Carnival Valor

ce2000

Carnival Valor or Golden Princess

I am a single guy, early 50's divorced 2 years ago. I am considering a fall 2007 cruise. I am torn between the Golden Princess, Mexican Riviera cruise that departs on Oct. 27 and the Carnival Valor, Caribbean cruise that departs on Oct. 28. Which cruise would be best for me, and why. I have previously sailed on both of these cruise lines. I was on the Carnival Jubilee in Aug. 2003 and the Caribbean Princess in August 2006. I had a very good time on each cruise, though there was no comparison with the ships. The Jubilee was an older ship that showed some wear and tear, and the Caribbean Princess was a new and very modern ship. I had an equally good time on both. I must admit that my favorite cruise line is Celebrity and my least favorite is NCL, I have also enjoyed cruising with Royal Caribbean. For the purposes of this discussion, I am considering booking with an on-line travel agency that offers hosted singles cruises.

My DH and I in our late 50's were on the Golden last Easter break with two friends. We had an outside cabin with balcony and found this great to relax and have a drink before dinner or a nap on sea days. We did the Carribean. There are a lot of groups and families on board, a very large boat and a very beautiful boat. There is plenty of room even though it holds 3,500 people and we never knew there were 4/500 kids on board until Easter Day when they came to collect their east eggs!

Everyone was friendly the trips were great - I especially enjoyed the Katamaran in Antiga and the rum runne boat was a laugh. They seem to cater for everyone. The only thing was that the spa pool on sail days was tricky to get a sunlounger near the pool but there were plenty everywhere else. They have a wave/current machine in the spa pool which you can swim against which brilliant for excersicing and good spa with steam room etc. good activities tennis running/jogging track. 3 pools spa, middle and rear. lectures plenty of bars and activities if you want them in the day, and good food. Sports bar huge theatre and club theatre and fantastic night club. On the whole a very impressive trip. The 4 of us had fun and I think with a group it would be great. Enjoy your cruise whichever one.

Carnival had better beds, softer, those comfort beds and better pizza. But I liked both cruise lines. I was on the Grand, a sister to the Golden, missed the Golden so far, hard to have sailed on every ship, but Im trying.

If you are trying to meet folks to play cards, Carnival had a card room, but hardly anyone ever in there, Princess Grand didnt have a card room, but lots more bridge players, we had to share Sabatini's steak restaurant during the daytime for games.

I thought the Carnival had better shows. Im single too, and meet more men on Carnival that were chatty and fun to talk to. Princess seemed to be all couples.

Hard call. I was on the Golden last week and loved it.I was on the Valor last summer and have also been on her sister ship, the Glory twice.

The Golden doesn't hold 3500 people it holds 2600-2700. Last week on the xmas cruise, it was under 2700 ( I saw the passenger log). The Valor can hold close to 3500 people- it can feel real crowded.

Princess offers similar quality food, but more of the expensive stuff, like more shrimp, better lobster, crab legs and extras like primerib in the buffet. They also have more crew per passenger than CCL.

I would say to do Princess, but CCL might be better for a single guy with more activities. Also, the carribean blows away mexican riviera in every way, especially if you do the Valor western intenary (Belize, Cozumel,Grand Cayman and Roatan). Lastily, CA based cruises tend to be more expensive than comparable cruises out of FL.

I hear that CCL has a cheaper single supplement. My advice is to get a buddy (preferably single) to share a room with you (a wingman!) and do the Valor.

I can't comment on the Golden, but we were on the Valor this past May and loved it. Only felt a little crowded right around the main pool during sea days, but there were all sorts of fun activities. We had a blast, and I honestly have never had more FUN than this last cruise on the Valor. Everybody just seemed to be in a good mood, and I think the staff had a lot to do with it. Carnival knows what they're doing.

Good luck!

Archived