Storing Large baggage onboard

Jacqueline

I have two suitcases which in the past have not fit under the beds (I dont know how high the beds are on HAL). These do meet the dimensions for the airline (basically they are 30" suiters).

Has anyone ever had the stewards store their bags for the duration of the trip?

We are going to be on the Westerdam.

:)

Wegave up the "30" inchers a number of years ago when we knew they would not fit under the beds. And some of the airlines started charging extra for larger bags. We used to call them "overseas" bags.

Your room stewar will be glad to stow away those large bags - they will be returned to you either 1 or 2 days before the cruise ends.

:)

We bought the large bags with the idea that we would expand them to the max and only need one bag. Well, the airlines changed that, didn't they? Now I make my husband get on and off the scale holding a suitcase to be sure we don't go over the weight limit. :o

I know... I am debating on whether to keep this new bag i got at TJ max.. It was the same price as the smaller one and better made...

Part of me thinks two small bags, but with every bag we add, its one more to get lost at the airport. Invariably we are waiting for one bag.

With 6 people it can be 7 or 8 bags... One reason bigger still looks better..maybe we can manage with 6 this year. No scuba/snorkel gear, no cold weather clothes....

I found my formal dresses were fine folded in my luggage in the dry cleaner bags and tissue last time I traveled. Was pretty suprised !

Steward happily stored my large bag on my recent Rotterdam cruise. He put the other suitcases somewhere, too! (Presumably under the bed.)

I asked him to return it the day before packing day; it was placed exactly as I asked. He even offered to put it in the passageway for me when he saw me trying to lift the darned thing!

Don't the large suitcases fit in the closet? I haven't been on HAL but the other cruiselines I have no problem placing my 30" upright and shut the door. So this leads into the next question...

Are the drawers in the closet? I noticed on the layout there's a small desk but no drawers. Also is there drawer space under the sofa? (This is on the Maasdam - not a sofabed).

I was on a cruise last year, 10 days, and there was a couple who did the whole cruise with only one carry-on each, period. ONE CARRYON!!! :eek:

And they even managed to do formal nights. And never really looked frumpy or underdressed. And, while I'm sure they wore some things repeatedly, no one noticed. But they did mention they did laundry half-way through, and washed out their delicates in their room frequently, thank heavens :(

Actually, I'll be trying it in September, but luckily there are no formal nights on the Gauguin.

I haven't been in a suite on HAL, but I haven't seen any closets in HAL cabins that would be big enough to store suitcases, unless you aren't planning to unpack any of your clothes :)

On the S class ships I found the drawers adequate for 2 people, along with the closets which can be converted to either shelf space or space for hanging clothes. I've heard the Vista class ships have less drawer space. Will see for ourselves in Dec. on the Westerdam.

Have always been able to nest our suitcases so that everything fits under the bed.

In general I have tried to avoid using my 30" upright. I used it for 30 days on the Marco Polo and we used it for our 16 day Transatlantic crossing on the Maasdam. On those cruises it was helpful, but when we took it on our 15 day Hawaii cruise on the Statendam we discovered that it was overkill. Since then we've only used our smaller bags. They're not nearly as heavy and they fit under the bed without trouble.

Thank God for bags with rollers on them. How did we ever manage before some brilliant person thought of putting built-in wheels on bags!

Archived