seasickness!

telesaps

Any recommendations for seasickness? I know that I get seasick and I believe my 10 year old son will also get seasick. Years ago, RCI handed out seasickness pills as we boarded our ship. Do they still do that?

Thank you!

Don't know about RCI, but I picked up both Bonine and ginger capsules for my DD (age 18) who tends to get motion sick. She was bothered a little on both the sea days, but took the Bonine and ginger and felt better within about an hour.

The trick to treat sea-sickness is preventive. Take Bonine once a day (same time every day) starting at least a day before your cruise. I found that the seabands (About $9 - sold at any drug store) works better than Bonine. The more expensive one (ReliefBand - $149 - online) works best, no drug involved, and will work even after you feel ill. I wore it to Whale Watching, the sea was so rough, and we were soaking wet, but I was ok. Soon after we got back to the cabin, I removed the bands (stupid me) and that special feeling set in (dinner in became dinner out). I should have left it in place for a while :mad:

Thank you! I will pick up Bonine and the bands, just to be sure! I hope this cruise goes well for my son, he and his dad are fishing with Ken in Ketchikan and he'll need something!

It's supposed to be "less drowsy". I think dramamine now has the same product, marketed as less drowsy Dramamine. My daughter did fall asleep after taking it, slept for about 1 hour, woke up and was fine.

Bonine is great but why buy it? :)

It costs around $8-$9 for 8 pills. You can buy the generic Bonine, "Meclizine HCL" at Coscto for $5 for 100 pills or at any pharmacy for around $10. That is a large savings.. :D :D :D

Is there any difference between Meclizine HCL and just Meclizine? The Meclizine (no HCL - I checked) was prescribed to me for dizziness :confused: fairly recently. How do you get it OTC, is it one of those ask-the-pharmacist things like certain cough meds?

Is there any difference between Meclizine HCL and just Meclizine? The Meclizine (no HCL - I checked) was prescribed to me for dizziness :confused: fairly recently. How do you get it OTC, is it one of those ask-the-pharmacist things like certain cough meds?

No difference. It is the same stuff... Although some prescribed Meclizine might be a lower doseage. Bonine and the generic Meclizine you can buy without a prescription are 25mg per tablet.

At Costco, it is on the shelf in their pharmacy department, at other pharmacies you have to ask the pharmacist.

If we don't know whether we will be seasick, should we just take it every day as a precaution? I feel I should for sure as I can be carsick...don't know about DH but any harm if he just takes it to be safe? Will taking it at bedtime work thru the next day? Thanks AGAIN! :)

If we don't know whether we will be seasick, should we just take it every day as a precaution? I feel I should for sure as I can be carsick...don't know about DH but any harm if he just takes it to be safe? Will taking it at bedtime work thru the next day? Thanks AGAIN! :)

My wife takes it because she use to get seasick, I take it as a precaution. We start the day before we fly out and continue until the end of the cruise.. One at night should do. If you find yourself feeling a little queezy, you can take one in the morning also. My wife takes one when she gets up in the morning around 630 and another around 6 in the evening. I take one in the evening.. Also, we can drink without any adverse effects from the pill.

Only (as far as I know) one kind of Bonine, the generic is meclizine. I'm pretty sure it is the same stuff as in the "less drowsy" Dramamine, while the regular dramamine is something different. We also bought the generic stuff -- much cheaper than the name brand stuff.

Also, whoever was mentioning that they get car sick. It doesn't necessarily follow that you will also get seasick. My sisters, who are twins, used to get horribly car sick as kids. Even as adults, they get queasy if they try to read, are in a back seat, all the known triggers. We were on the Sea in January, and took the ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen to go to Tulum. It was rough on the way over, and really bouncy on the way back. In fact, the Sea was late leaving Cozumel due to the high winds. Not a sign of seasickness in either of them :) .

I am the one likely to get car sick, and I appreciate knowing that maybe there is hope :) -- thanks!

Now if only we had Costco here I would be all set - but will head to the pharmacy before our trip, just to be on the safe side.

Happy cruising to all!!

I just got back from Alaska via the Zaandam and I had used the seasickness patch scolopamine. I have not history of being seasick but being my first cruise I didn't want to take any chances....well I had so many side effects from the patch that by Tues I had taken it off. I had blood shot eyes, blurred vision, I was extremely thirsty and just felt weird. I took it off and was fine the rest of the week!

Kim

I just got back from Alaska via the Zaandam and I had used the seasickness patch scolopamine. I have not history of being seasick but being my first cruise I didn't want to take any chances....well I had so many side effects from the patch that by Tues I had taken it off. I had blood shot eyes, blurred vision, I was extremely thirsty and just felt weird. I took it off and was fine the rest of the week!

Kim

That is some of the reasons why it was removed from the market a few years ago. Too many weird things happening to users. The were supposed to reformulate it. Looks like they did not do a very good job of it,

I know that bonine is supposed to be non-drowsy. Does this mean that it has caffeine in it? I have to be careful of the non-drowsy formula of Sudafed b/c it can keep me up at night, and for health reasons, I'm decaffeinated.

M/R

I was like auj1fan, I have used the patch for the last 15 years I have been cruising & used it last week when I was on the Infinity and got blurred vision was horrible never have I had that side effect, my mom had to fill out all my paper work and read the menu to me :(

I guess I will also try the Bonine on my October cruise as I never want to have that side effect again!

Since I don't have access to Costco, I was glad to hear that Target had it. Generic meclizine was about $3.50 for 32 tablets. One pack should be enough for a 7 night cruise, but I bought 2 just in case.

I was on the Sapphire last week and got seasick the next to last day. I used the bands and took ginger pills, I felt fine in about an hour. My husband said we had 7-12' seas and I felt nothing.

Archived