How are the ports Syney to Darwin ?

smj

We are considering Oceania's Nauticia for Feb 8, 2008. The Australian ports are Syndey, Brisbane, Whitsunday Island, Townsville, Cairns and Thursday Island. We are at all port from 8am-6pm except Thursday Island which is 7am-1pm. It does not seem that these are popular cruise ports so I am woundering if they would be good places. Would we have enough time to snorkle at the Great Barrier Reef? We also like to plan tours on our on and not thru Oceania. Would that be difficult on this trip?

I would appreciate any advice?

Thanks,

Steve

You will have no problems doing "your own thing" in Sydney. Transport to everything is right near where you dock. You can do a bridge climb, go to Darling Harbour, visit Manly Beach or go on a "Red Bus Tour", see the Opera House. It is all very easy to access, but one day is not much time to see lots of places. Just google "Sydney" and you will get a couple of sites that will help you with your planning.

I don't quiet understand what you mean about "Not popular cruise posts". Sydney and Brisbane are capital cities of their states. The Whitsunday Islands are part of the Great Barrier Reef and are spectacularly beautiful. Cairns and Townsville are in the Tropical North. Thursday Island is a more remote location. Hope you enjoy whatever you plan.

All those ports have their own special appeal. one thing's for certain ... it will be hot ... especially as you cruise north past Brisbane. You can easily fill your day at each of those places. You can snorkle at most of those ports, but north of Brisbane you'll probably have to swim in protected areas ... as all our sea nasties come ouit in Summer. Let us know the sort of things you like and we'll make some suggestions.

Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville and Cairns are cities in their own right. You could easily spend days exploring each. The reality is that in a day visit on a cruise, the best you'll get is a "taste" of each. If this is your first visit then I suggest that you go with the cruise then come back again for a more leisurely and detailed tour.

You are fortunate that the cruise terminal in Sydney is centrally located to the city centre, so most parts of the city centre are accessible on foot. In Brisbane you will need to get a shuttle bus or tour to the city centre and once there it is a relatively compact city so most places are easily walked. Cairns is also within walking distance of the city; Townsville I'm not so sure. In terms of relative size, Sydney is the largest followed by Brisbane, with Townsville and Cairns much smaller and of a similar size to each other. Whitsunday Island is an uninhabited large island located in the Whitsunday Group approx half way between Brisbane and Townsville. Most activities there will be water based (coral viewing, snorkelling etc).

As Vozzie has said, it will be HOT. Feb towards the end of our summer but it tends to be the hotest month. It is also our wet season in the north (Brisbane onwards) although we are in the middle of a terrible drought at the moment.

I am now wondering if these places should be done on a cruise or on a land tour. What do you think?
Frankly, I'd say Ransome is understating the case: Brisbane and Cairns are probably worth at least a week each, and you wouldn't have seen everything.

And Sydney could keep you occupied for a month and still have you wanting to come back for more.

A cruise is not the best way to see Australia. It's a good way to have a cruise, and just touch base with some interesting places en route.

Please remember that when cruising in our far north in February, you can expect thunderstorms, heavy rain and even a cyclone. February is the wet time of the year for far north Queensland so the weather will be very humid.

It is not the best time to visit that part of Australia. Also you cannot swim near the shore as the "stingers" are out and about.

Jennie

I agree with the poster who said a cruise is not the best way to see Australia. It is a very big country and there is so much to see! We are now planning our 4th trip. The people are wonderful there and it is very easy to see all the sights. Tourism is a huge industry there and you can find tours of all types. If you take a cruise and enjoy the places you visit, you will want to come back and stay much longer.

Archived