OPINIONS! 1st timers- short cruise- Carnival??

criuisingurl079

We are planning a group trip with friends next Spring, some of our friends are very uncertain about a longer 9 night cruise since they haven't cruised before and would like to try a shorter one. We are worried that going on a shorter Carnival cruise will give them the wrong impression! Any suggestions? They want to go over President's day weekend?

Thanks!!

I have only done one CCL short cruise, a four day on the Ecstacy three years ago. The ship was old and worn, but the food and service was excellent, as was the entertainment. Unlike RCL, they really try to give you a cruise experience. For example, the lobster was excellent, whereas RCL doesn't even offer it (cheap, cheap!).

If they do one, try to get them to do a four day one as the three day ones tend to be real loud.

We are planning a group trip with friends next Spring, some of our friends are very uncertain about a longer 9 night cruise since they haven't cruised before and would like to try a shorter one. We are worried that going on a shorter Carnival cruise will give them the wrong impression! Any suggestions? They want to go over President's day weekend?

Thanks!!

We just came off our 12th cruise this week (New Years out of Cape Canaveral). Our very first was on Carnival 3 Days on the Holiday out of LA wa back in '95. Left me wanting more. However, we have sworn off major holidays for cruising as it's crowded and full of youngsters, which isn't our scene (40 somethings, DINK). I also find cruises of longer than 8 days just too much, personally. I'm ready to get off on the 8th day. We're heading over to Princess after 7 CCLs for a bit more "refinery". Hope this helps!

I'll echo dclark - we did a 4 day Bahamas cruise on the Sensation out of Port Canaveral and had a great time. Food and service in the dining room was fantastic - lots of activities, kids had a ball in the kid program. We brought along my mother in law, who has been cruising for many years, and she said the food and dining room service was the best she had ever seen!

I think this would be a great cruise to introduce someone to cruising.

9 days for first time cruisers would probably be too much. We did a short 4 night group cruise (6 couples) a few years ago and although 2 of the couples now love cruising the others did not like it and say they will never cruise again. Everyone had balcony cabins on a brand new ship so it was pretty much the best cruising conditions but I got all kinds of negative feedback such as "there's nothing to do", "it's too confining", "the elevator's are too crowded", etc., etc.. Also one of the group was seasick the whole time and vowed never to step foot on a ship again.

I am with everone here... I have sailed Celebrity, Princess ect. We did a 3 day Carnival cruse last December on an older ship(most 3 and 4 days are on the older ships) and we really liked it, had a good time.

Either your friends are going to love it or not... Like D said I think Carnival does a good job with the food and entertainment.... I would go for it!

My sister had never been on a cruise, and I barely had, so we did a 5 day Carnival, Ectasy. As someone said the ship was old but it had more fun things to do than many other ships and the food was great. Lobster even on formal night. Only two ports left us wanting more too. I liked the pizza and shows a lot better than my 7 day Princess cruise, some things really are better on Carnival. The comfort mattress's they put on last year I loved, much better than Princess. The ship was redone in '06, the bed spreads and room linens.

I think a shorter cruise to "see if you like it" is a great idea. Our first cruise was 4 days on the RCL "Viking Serenade" (What a funky ship!) and I did everything wrong! I booked the most expensive cabin (full brochure rate), which we hardly used. I was afraid of seasickness, which I had experienced before on smaller boats. We had a great time, fell in love with cruising - and I have never gotten seasick on a cruise.

You have to start somewhere, and it's definitely a lot of fun if you are with a group of friends. Keep in mind that the short cruises during a holiday will have lots of kids - if that's OK with you, go for it. If you don't want to deal with that, I'd go for a 7 day and go with a mid-range line so you won't have so many kids.

Archived